dome nuts and more

Old June 2nd 16, 04:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Default dome nuts and more

The other day I visited the Biltema store
(= "car theme"). Some people people ridicule
such stores and call them daycare for adults,
some of which indeed visit it every day to buy
stuff. Personally, I absolutely do not enjoy
visiting such stores, but I do it once a month
because I do see the benefit of having some of
the equipment they market...

This month saw two minor setbacks. I asked for
a truing stand - and they didn't have one!
Even I do. But it is old, and I think there are
better ones today. I asked in yet another store
- Sportson - which specializes in bikes, and
this time, the bloke said "we don't sell them
and if we did they would be several thousands"
(i.e., 3000 SEK which is ~($361, £249, or
€323)) - anyway I told this story to a friend
and he said he'd get one from the UK,
Park Tool, for ~1000 SEK shipping included -
that would be ~($120, £83, or €108) - I suppose
it is even less, in the US! I always thought
Sweden to be ahead of the UK in terms of bikes,
but being the home of the industrial
revolution, I suppose getting gear from them
isn't an unbearable loss of prestige...

Here is a photo that includes my truing stand -
to the left of the Cuban cigars [1]

Anyway the second issue was I thought I'd buy
several boxes of every conceivable screw, nut,
and washer so I'd never have to look for one
again but to have it all Prussian and available
in zero time. This worked well until I got to
the dome nuts. There was a box of those.
The smaller ones will work well on hand brakes,
and sometimes to hold the fender bars on
certain bikes (e.g., DBSs) - personally tho,
I prefer non-protruding hex screws on the
outside and then ordinary hex bolts and split
washers on the inside... But when I got to the
most important part, namely the wheel axes, the
nuts didn't fit! Are those "imperial" or yet of
some other pitch and/or thread angle?
Externally, the nuts are 14 mm or most often
15 mm, at least that's what I always used

The best thing I got was an adapter from the
1/4" ratchet one (the square one with a loose
ball) to the bit socket (also 1/4"?) - so now,
I can use the ratchet with the bits!
Most often, an Allen key to do the kick stand
when it gets loose.

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/3.jpg

- so far: 42 Blogomatic articles -
Old June 2nd 16, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/2/2016 10:02 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
[...]

Nice looking wheel truing stand. It's a cast VAR model
right? What would or could improve on that?

Axles for derailleur system hubs are mostly m10x1 (yes,
there are exceptions to everything but few modern variants).
A hardware or auto shop will probably have 10mm nuts with a
coarser thread, m10x1.5 or m10x1.25. You need to specify
thread advancement besides the diameter.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 2nd 16, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

AMuzi writes:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/3.jpg

Nice looking wheel truing stand. It's a cast
VAR model right?

No idea - I'll see if I can get you some better
photos, and you'll be better off saying.

What would or could improve on that?

First it is defect, and fixed - the top pipes
(in brass) and the screws to hold them.
Tho this fixing didn't bring it back to its
original level, I think.

Second, there are too many controls! I think
modern stands have fewer tho have the same
capabilities (?).

Third, the pole that goes into the tripod isn't
wide enough. I think perhaps there is some
socket or piece out. So it is not stable.
But this I actually managed to solve by putting
the fork into a vise, with some plates in
between. Not only is this much more stable, the
thing gets higher so it is more ergonomic
as well!

No, it works, no doubt, only I think modern
ones are better

Axles for derailleur system hubs are mostly
m10x1 (yes, there are exceptions to
everything but few modern variants).
A hardware or auto shop will probably have
10mm nuts with a coarser thread, m10x1.5 or
m10x1.25. You need to specify thread
advancement besides the diameter.

Yes, I'll be back.

- so far: 42 Blogomatic articles -
Old June 2nd 16, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/2/2016 11:02 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:

This month saw two minor setbacks. I asked for
a truing stand - and they didn't have one!
Even I do. But it is old, and I think there are
better ones today. I asked in yet another store
- Sportson - which specializes in bikes, and
this time, the bloke said "we don't sell them
and if we did they would be several thousands"
(i.e., 3000 SEK which is ~($361, £249, or
€323)) - anyway I told this story to a friend
and he said he'd get one from the UK,
Park Tool, for ~1000 SEK shipping included -
that would be ~($120, £83, or €108)

FWIW: When Bike Nashbar was brand new (then called Bike Warehouse) it
was a fairly small operation. Arni Nashbar, a member of our bike club,
sometimes hired club members to do sort of cottage industry work.

One of the most brilliant engineers I know enjoyed wheel building, so he
agreed to build wheels for Nashbar. Rather than buy a truing stand, he
built his own out of wood, and used it for years with complete satisfaction.

And BTW it wasn't because he had no metal skills. The guy also built
custom frames, still owns several machine tools, and had high enough
rank at work to probably have the company shop build what he would have
drawn up.

I also built my first truing stand. It was much less elaborate, but it
did the job until someone gave me a better one. They're pretty simple
devices, and I don't build enough wheels to require a top of the line
truing stand.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 2nd 16, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/2/2016 4:51 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
AMuzi considered Thu, 02 Jun 2016 10:25:51 -0500
the perfect time to write:

[...]

To make matters more interesting, M10x1.0 does not correspond to any
ISO standard - Metric coarse standard for 10mm diameter is M10x1.5mm
and metric fine ISO standard is M10x1.25mm.
So M10x1.0 seems to be pretty much bicycle specific, unless anyone
knows of any other common application.

I don't know but there must be another application because
our fastener vendor (not of the bicycle industry) lists
thread repair insert kits in m10x1.

A web search shows thread repair kits "for spark plugs" and
"for glow plugs". That's probably why you see thread inserts
but not nuts.

Old June 3rd 16, 07:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Thu, 02 Jun 2016 17:02:44 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

[...]

I suspect that few shops want to stock a truing stand as they would
sell very few.

Here is a photo that includes my truing stand -
to the left of the Cuban cigars [1]

Very similar to the ones I see here. Almost every motorcycle and most
of the bicycle ships have one. Very strong and should last a lifetime.

Anyway the second issue was I thought I'd buy
several boxes of every conceivable screw, nut,
and washer so I'd never have to look for one
again but to have it all Prussian and available
in zero time. This worked well until I got to
the dome nuts. There was a box of those.
The smaller ones will work well on hand brakes,
and sometimes to hold the fender bars on
certain bikes (e.g., DBSs) - personally tho,
I prefer non-protruding hex screws on the
outside and then ordinary hex bolts and split
washers on the inside... But when I got to the

You might look at nylok or fiber self locking nuts. They look sort of
like a dome nut and have the advantage of tightening when the bolt is
just a wee bit too long.

most important part, namely the wheel axes, the
nuts didn't fit! Are those "imperial" or yet of
some other pitch and/or thread angle?
Externally, the nuts are 14 mm or most often
15 mm, at least that's what I always used

The best thing I got was an adapter from the
1/4" ratchet one (the square one with a loose
ball) to the bit socket (also 1/4"?) - so now,
I can use the ratchet with the bits!
Most often, an Allen key to do the kick stand
when it gets loose.

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/3.jpg

--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 3rd 16, 07:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Thu, 02 Jun 2016 22:51:26 +0100, Phil W Lee
wrote:

[...]

I've got a tap drill chart from "Kramer Power Equipment Co," and
another from "KORIT", both U.S. companies and they both list a 10mm x
1.0mm thread. The KORIT has a sub note: "These Sizes Are Spark Plug
Taps". The Kramer list shows a 10-0.75, 10-1, 10-1.25, the KORIT lists
1-1.0, 1.25, 1.5.

I did look at some sparkplug pages and they list 10x1.0 mm as a
standard, small size, motorcycle sparkplug.

(of course, spark plugs have very little to do with bicycles :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 3rd 16, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
[...]

Small engine spark plugs.

--
sig 1
Old June 3rd 16, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 11:02:52 AM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
[...]

wheel truing stand with, wheel building bar from Frank Berto

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...QXRkQvtFAmZgoK

dome nuts were designed for recreational cyclists incapable of maintenance or inspection.

a common SS nut coated this thinned linseed oil abt 1 oil to 7 parts thinner seals out moisture and o2
Old June 3rd 16, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 1:02:06 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Though I have a double car garage I have so much junk that I can barely get my single car inside. Plus I have my carpenter tools, my car tools, my sailboat tools, my motorcycle tools, my telephone installation tools and my bicycle tools. So Manny's workbench looks large and heavenly.

But a professional grade truing stand is one of the things that I absolutely demand. I know that the lower grade models work fine for truing but I can build wheels in minutes rather than hours using a stand that doesn't flex. Not that there's any demand for that anymore. And then I do need to get the camping gear out of the way. Or the power carpet steam cleaner.....

trailer: hole, gap, washer, grooves, and dome nuts Emanuel Berg Techniques 11 April 30th 16 02:54 PM
cut their nuts off ! atriage[_6_] Racing 0 November 23rd 12 05:45 PM
Speed dome track try out (Perth) DeF Australia 0 November 13th 07 04:09 AM
I need nuts! Graeme Dods Australia 15 April 29th 07 01:21 AM
Visualize a Dome of Protection Over Big Bear Lake. Thank you! AD Off Road 4 November 1st 03 10:31 PM