A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

letter to editor



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old February 3rd 18, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,507
Default letter to editor

On 2018-02-03 09:25, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 07:48:41 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

Nearly everyone [thinks he] knows how to ride a bicycle[,
but in fact knows less than nothing].



Please don't mung quotes. Anyhow, I disagree with your comments in the
brackets.


Witness the "cycle track" being proposed here for Market street: a
two-way lane hidden behind a row of parked cars, between a right-turn
lane and the sidewalk.


I don't know where "here" is but it is a well-known fact that some
planners are competent enough to build good bike paths while others are
incompetent. In some countries such as my old stomping grounds in
Germany most planners seem to be incompetent.

In our area east of Sacramento, California, we are mostly lucky. Our
community (Cameron Park) has almost no bike facilities because the local
leaders are ... well, I better censor what I was going to write here.
Folsom and Placerville OTOH are quite excellent in that domain, where we
get this:

https://folsomcasharttrail.com/Porta...-15-142644-430

Of course, my favorite bike routes look like this:

https://cdn-files.apstatic.com/mtb/7...1458762626.jpg

Aside from an increase in riders it has other effects. More people spend
their discretionary funds (restaurants, pubs, etc.) there. I personally
met people who bought a house there because of the bike path system. Now
we are talking north of $400k plus $5k/year in property taxes. In my
case I also spend more of my "errand Dollars" there, for example when I
need something from the hardware store. The key reason is that I can
cycle right to their front entrance and they even let me take the bike
inside.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Ads
  #32  
Old February 3rd 18, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,271
Default letter to editor

On 2/3/2018 12:25 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 07:48:41 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

Nearly everyone [thinks he] knows how to ride a bicycle[,
but in fact knows less than nothing].


Witness the "cycle track" being proposed here for Market street: a
two-way lane hidden behind a row of parked cars, between a right-turn
lane and the sidewalk.


But... but... but it's a bicycle facility! And as everybody knows "Any
bicycle facility is a good bicycle facility!" I mean, at least they're
doing _something_ for us!

/sarcasm


--
- Frank Krygowski
  #33  
Old February 3rd 18, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,015
Default letter to editor

AMuzi wrote:

You asked about ZĂ©fal clean/lube products
recently but that guy on the Graziella seems
to have something supernatural going on.


Right, the question was about their
"Bio Degreaser" but yes, they have a
"Bike Pro Lube" as well. I have a 125ml/4oz
bottle. It doesn't say anything interesting on
it tho.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
  #34  
Old February 3rd 18, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,723
Default letter to editor

On 2/3/2018 11:25 AM, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 07:48:41 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

Nearly everyone [thinks he] knows how to ride a bicycle[,
but in fact knows less than nothing].


Witness the "cycle track" being proposed here for Market street: a
two-way lane hidden behind a row of parked cars, between a right-turn
lane and the sidewalk.


There's a technical term for that, 'kill zone'.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #35  
Old February 3rd 18, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,365
Default letter to editor

On Saturday, February 3, 2018 at 1:52:16 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/3/2018 11:25 AM, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 07:48:41 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

Nearly everyone [thinks he] knows how to ride a bicycle[,
but in fact knows less than nothing].


Witness the "cycle track" being proposed here for Market street: a
two-way lane hidden behind a row of parked cars, between a right-turn
lane and the sidewalk.


There's a technical term for that, 'kill zone'.


I prefer "killing fields." Designed by Pol Pothole to exterminate the cyclists.

-- Jay Beattie.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NYT\Letter to the Editor: The Cyclists and the Police Jym Dyer Social Issues 0 August 13th 08 06:01 PM
Another letter to the editor Claire Petersky General 32 May 9th 06 04:17 PM
Another letter to the editor Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 5 May 9th 06 04:17 PM
Letter to the editor Claire Petersky General 20 April 16th 06 03:11 AM
Letter to the Editor Peter B UK 18 August 18th 03 12:57 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.