Sugino 75 with UN52BB?

Old July 19th 05, 03:52 PM

Default Sugino 75 with UN52BB?

I have a new set of Sugino 75 track cranks and need a bb -- I finally
killed the 1975 campy cups and spindle. Can I use a shimano UN52 with
the cranks, or is there a different spindle shape?
TIA

Scott

Old July 19th 05, 11:49 PM
Donald Gillies

writes:

I have a new set of Sugino 75 track cranks and need a bb -- I finally
killed the 1975 campy cups and spindle. Can I use a shimano UN52 with
the cranks, or is there a different spindle shape?
TIA

If i remember correctly (
www.businesscycles.com) the Sugino 75 track
cranks want a 103 mm symmetric spindle. Does the UN52 come in 103 mm
sizes?

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old July 20th 05, 01:34 AM
John Dacey

"Defendit numerus".
On 19 Jul 2005 15:49:53 -0700, (Donald Gillies)
wrote:

writes:

I have a new set of Sugino 75 track cranks and need a bb -- I finally
killed the 1975 campy cups and spindle. Can I use a shimano UN52 with
the cranks, or is there a different spindle shape?
TIA

If i remember correctly (
www.businesscycles.com) the Sugino 75 track
cranks want a 103 mm symmetric spindle. Does the UN52 come in 103 mm
sizes?

The spindle of the Sugino 75 bottom bracket is 109 mm., with
symmetrical overhangs and a JIS taper.

See the sections on cranks and bottom brackets on our reference page
for track component specifications:
http://www.businesscycles.com/tr-refspec.htm

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
http://www.businesscycles.com
Old July 20th 05, 05:22 AM
Dave Mayer

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a new set of Sugino 75 track cranks and need a bb -- I finally
killed the 1975 campy cups and spindle. Can I use a shimano UN52 with
the cranks, or is there a different spindle shape?
TIA

Scott

Scott: Sugino 75 cranks takes a smaller cross-section square-taper spindle.
I have tried this crank with a Shimano (JIS) taper BB. The result is that
the chainline moves out (wider) about 3-4mm on each side, and the engagement
between the arm and the spindle is correspondingly less. I suggest finding
another Sugino 75 spindle, or a Campy (ISO) spindle, which would be a much
closer fit. An Ofmega/Avocet spindle of the right width (and left-right
symmetry) would likely also work. Old Dura-Ace track is another option.

BTW: you may be able to use generic BB cups designed for 1/4" balls. Cups
generally come in the thick or thin variety, so you may not need to hunt
around for special cups.

Old July 20th 05, 02:21 PM

Found the answers to my own question. This site his great:
http://www.branfordbike.com/crank/crank4.html#item2a
Thanks for the help y'all.

/s

Old July 21st 05, 05:01 AM
Dave Mayer

wrote in message
ups.com...
Found the answers to my own question. This site his great:
http://www.branfordbike.com/crank/crank4.html#item2a
Thanks for the help y'all.

/s

Tom: the Sugino 75 crank I had was 10-15 years old. It definitely did not
work with a Shimano taper BB. Sugino must have gone to the JIS taper since
that time. You say the Sugino crank you have is new. Was your crankset
freshly manufactured, or perhaps sitting in a box for a few years? I
suggest testing the engagement of the crankarms on a Shimano BB before you
install everything.

Old July 21st 05, 07:23 AM
A Muzi

ups.com...

Dave Mayer wrote:
Tom: the Sugino 75 crank I had was 10-15 years old. It definitely did not
work with a Shimano taper BB. Sugino must have gone to the JIS taper since
that time. You say the Sugino crank you have is new. Was your crankset
freshly manufactured, or perhaps sitting in a box for a few years? I
suggest testing the engagement of the crankarms on a Shimano BB before you
install everything.

WHen you say "didn't work" does that mean your spindle
length was incorrect or that the taper did not engage properly?
When you say 'Shimano taper BB" do you mean a current model
and if so which one? Shimano has only used their current
taper section from the early '90s on

Sugino 75 here go with a Tange 110mm BB

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old July 22nd 05, 05:33 AM
Baird Webel

A Muzi wrote:

ups.com...

Dave Mayer wrote:

Tom: the Sugino 75 crank I had was 10-15 years old. It definitely did
not work with a Shimano taper BB. Sugino must have gone to the JIS
taper since that time. You say the Sugino crank you have is new. Was
your crankset freshly manufactured, or perhaps sitting in a box for a
few years? I suggest testing the engagement of the crankarms on a
Shimano BB before you install everything.

WHen you say "didn't work" does that mean your spindle length was
incorrect or that the taper did not engage properly?
When you say 'Shimano taper BB" do you mean a current model and if so
which one? Shimano has only used their current taper section from the
early '90s on

Sugino 75 here go with a Tange 110mm BB

My experience with the Sugino 75 crank basically mirrors Dave's. This
is a brand new crank, taken off an 04 fuji track bike. It came with a
fairly generic 110 bb and the chainline was a few mm wider than 42mm. I
then put it on with a shimano UN-52 with a 107mm axle and it was still a
little wide. This really surprised me as I had a hard time imagining
that sugino doesn't use a JIS taper. I've been meaning to play around
with some campy BBs and probably to get a sugino 75BB if Quality ever
has them back in stock, but just haven't had the time.

Baird