Rollers: what kind do you use...

Old July 24th 05, 04:58 PM
tntcoach

Default Rollers: what kind do you use...

I'm looking into buying rollers to train on in the winter months. I've
heard that the rollers that have a "V" shaped center roller are the way
to go, rather than the straight roller type. Have any of you tried
both types? If so, is there a big difference? The idea behind the "V"
shaped roller is that it supposedly helps keep you in the middle of the
rollers.

-Mike

Old July 25th 05, 01:46 AM
Kinky Cowboy

On 24 Jul 2005 08:58:04 -0700, "tntcoach" wrote:

I'm looking into buying rollers to train on in the winter months. I've
heard that the rollers that have a "V" shaped center roller are the way
to go, rather than the straight roller type. Have any of you tried
both types? If so, is there a big difference? The idea behind the "V"
shaped roller is that it supposedly helps keep you in the middle of the
rollers.

-Mike

Great idea - if you're only ever going to ride on V-shaped roads :-) I
foresee some nasty camber steer effects trying to solve a problem
which doesn't even exist in the first place. It's considered good form
to practice riding on the outer third of the roller from time to time;
in road race and track situations, if you can't stick to a 6" wide
track you're a liability.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old July 25th 05, 06:07 AM
A Muzi

tntcoach wrote:

I'm looking into buying rollers to train on in the winter months. I've
heard that the rollers that have a "V" shaped center roller are the way
to go, rather than the straight roller type. Have any of you tried
both types? If so, is there a big difference? The idea behind the "V"
shaped roller is that it supposedly helps keep you in the middle of the
rollers.

Gimmick. A standard cylindrical roller is not at all
difficult to ride. We can teach you in under ten minutes, as
can any competent LBS right in their showroom.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old July 25th 05, 12:05 PM
Bill

I like the Sportcrafters aluminum rollers, good quality
not too expensive.

Old July 25th 05, 01:39 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

tntcoach wrote:
I'm looking into buying rollers to train on in the winter months. I've
heard that the rollers that have a "V" shaped center roller are the way
to go, rather than the straight roller type. Have any of you tried
both types? If so, is there a big difference? The idea behind the "V"
shaped roller is that it supposedly helps keep you in the middle of the
rollers.

-Mike

One value of rollers is to train you to ride smoothly, pedal in
'circles' and to ride straight. Get a standard roller set, like
Kreittler, the very best, with aluminum full sized drums.

Old July 25th 05, 06:44 PM
Kinky Cowboy

On 25 Jul 2005 05:39:54 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:

tntcoach wrote:
I'm looking into buying rollers to train on in the winter months. I've
heard that the rollers that have a "V" shaped center roller are the way
to go, rather than the straight roller type. Have any of you tried
both types? If so, is there a big difference? The idea behind the "V"
shaped roller is that it supposedly helps keep you in the middle of the
rollers.

-Mike

One value of rollers is to train you to ride smoothly, pedal in
'circles' and to ride straight. Get a standard roller set, like
Kreittler, the very best, with aluminum full sized drums.

If you're not made of money, Tacx are perfectly acceptable., They'll
last longer than your bike, and spare drive bands are readily
available because they've been making them to the same design since
the invention of the wheel. Get the ones with 120mm drums. Bigger
drums provide less rolling resistance, so you'll have to gear a bit
higher, but they're kinder to tyres.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old July 25th 05, 07:43 PM
psycholist

wrote:

tntcoach wrote:
[...]

Kreitler rollers are hard to beat and will last a lifetime (with periodic
bearing and belt replacement.

As for the "V" thing ... I thought part of the reason for riding rollers was
to train yourself to roll a straight line. Anyway, I've got thousands of
hours on rollers. I've only ridden off of them twice. Once when my front
wheel blew apart 'cuz a hub flange failed and once when I was watching a
tape of Alexander Vinokourov winning the Amstel Gold race. The motocam was
right behind him on a descent and ... well ... "I was there." He took a
turn and so did I. It was really silly ... and painful. In case you're
wondering, no ... you don't go shooting forward when you come off the
rollers.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Old July 25th 05, 08:11 PM
Kinky Cowboy

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:43:59 -0400, "psycholist"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

tntcoach wrote:
I'm looking into buying rollers to train on in the winter months.
-Mike

One value of rollers is to train you to ride smoothly, pedal in
'circles' and to ride straight. Get a standard roller set, like
Kreittler, the very best, with aluminum full sized drums.

If you're not made of money, Tacx are perfectly acceptable.,

Kinky Cowboy*

Kreitler rollers are hard to beat and will last a lifetime (with periodic
bearing and belt replacement.

I don't doubt that Kreitler are hard to beat for quality, but they're
easy to beat for price. My brother is still using the Tacx rollers I
first shared with him and my dad over 20 years ago, with just
occasional belt replacement. The question for most ordinary cyclists
must be, why pay 4 times as much for something which will last the
same amount of time, i.e. longer than your legs do? If you have $400
to spend on rollers, spend $100 on Tacx and put the rest on deposit.
You'll have made the price of a replacement set of Tacx rollers in
interest before the first set wears out.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old July 26th 05, 12:32 AM
psycholist

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

tntcoach wrote:
[...]

I'll agree with you in principal, but as your signature states, "your
mileage may vary." I put a TON of time and miles on the rollers each year.
My first set was something that came out under the "CyclOps" name. They
didn't last a year. They sent me a warranty replacement. They didn't last
a year, either. I bought the Kreitlers on a special. Didn't pay anything
close to $400 (but didn't pay only $100 like your Tacx, either). Never
tried the Tacx and I wish I had to save the money, but I've been happy with
the Krietlers for years now.

Oh, the only reason I responded to your post was, for some reason, the
original post on the thread isn't showing up on my newsreader. Weird.
--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

RR: The Ides of March (kind of long) Mike Kennedy Mountain Biking 3 March 17th 05 03:53 PM
fixing rollers [email protected] Techniques 5 December 15th 04 04:25 AM
FS: Performance Technique rollers TS WHEELS Marketplace 0 December 4th 04 03:27 AM
rollers Tom Reingold Techniques 3 November 11th 04 05:09 AM
Billy removes support from Peewee (seeXXXVII for a Laugh) Di Social Issues 3 October 29th 04 05:31 AM