700cc questions

Old July 18th 05, 08:01 PM
ChangingLINKS.com

Default 700cc questions

U-Turn wrote:
*For a young, fit, handsome guy like you, I'm sure that 12mph wouldn't
be unreasonable.

John Stone, in his 30s, regularly rides his 29er at about twice my
speed, using 110s, I believe. *

I'm not young. Well, at least not my body. (32)
Wow, I wonder how much John trained.

It sounds like (with my obsessive mindset) I could get to 12mph (using
65mm cranks and 700c wheel). The next question is could I do it on the
wheel that would fit my current frame?

I don't mind working harder than the Coker riders. I want to be able to
ride with them and NOT have to get a Coker. Perhaps a fixy bike (geared
the same as a Coker, with forward and reverse pedaling like the bike
messengers use) would be the solution. Nah. I don't want that either.

1. I'd like to know which rim to get (to fit a Nimbus frame AND
withstand my weight).
2. I'd like to know what cranks and hub to get (to fit a Nimbus frame
AND withstand my weight) and be 65mm.

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

Old July 18th 05, 08:16 PM
johnfoss

For ChangingLINKS:
Yes, it's not cubic centimeters. Actually I don't know what the sincle
"c" stands for. 700 is not millimeters either BTW. It's just a rim size
with a kind of annoying name.

Gizmoduck came in 4th in the 10k at Unicon XII. I believe he led almost
the entire race, then got kind of screwed because he missed a non-marked
turn near the end. Racing results are here (you get to do the math on
the finishing times):
http://www.unicon12.com/english/index.htm
It's on page 35 in the giant PDF.

Please note that this 10k course was on a riverside bike path. In other
words, WAY FLAT! There were hills at the turnaround points, where the
path took a long slope up onto a dike. Maybe 20m rise in 150m or so.

All other things being equal, the larger wheel will probably previal in
a more "typical" riding environment. Austin may be very flat also, which
would be in your favor. The advantage to messing with a 700c unicycle is
that it's smaller, easier to store/transport, etc. Also you have
hundreds of tires to choose from. It'll be a bumpy ride though, if you
go with something like what Yuta was using.

Remember, with 65mm cranks, *any* size unicycle is going to suffer from
near-zero leverage. You'll die on hills, and may have trouble with
bumps, crowded places, etc.

I'll be curious to hear what you find out about average speeds on those
race times. It's a standing start, but I'd just assume a constant speed
for the whole time.

Yuta crossing the finish line (looks like a Miyata deluxe frame):
http://tinyurl.com/aklub

Jim wrote:
*the kh 29 rim is quite wide (38mm according to 'unicycle.com'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=805) *

The mountain biking community is apparently aware of this as well.
Yesterday we were in Downieville, and it's one week before their big
race there. A guy came up to us and commented on how his friends love
the KH 29er rim for mountain bikes!

--
johnfoss - More Moab Fun

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old July 18th 05, 09:16 PM
ChangingLINKS.com

Here are the times:
Yuta Ando 23:33
Roger Davies 23:36
Daiki 25:00
Ken Looi (The GizmoDuck) 25:16
Hajime 25:47
Nathan Hoover 26:42

I know that:
10km is 6.21 mi

I know that:
10 miles / 5mph = 2 hours
10 miles / 2 = 5mph

I'm not a math major, and got somewhat confused, but I think Yuta was
going at 16mph.
10 miles/(23.33 time/60 minutes) = 10 / .3888 = 25.72 km/hr
25.72 * .62 (convert km to mi) = 15.94 (or about 16mph)

Nathan would be pulling about 14mph.
My guess is that Nathan was on a Coker.

What was Roger Davies riding?

Old July 18th 05, 09:33 PM
ChangingLINKS.com

missed the edit.
I saw Davies on a Coker
and calculated that Foss was doing about 13.6mph (using his 28).

Seems like there was not a radical difference in speed due to wheel size
especially considering the experience of the riders involved.

Old July 18th 05, 09:45 PM
Mikefule

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
*
It sounds like (with my obsessive mindset) I could get to 12mph (using
65mm cranks and 700c wheel).
*

A little ambiguous - do you mean the speed of 12 mph, or the distance of
12 miles covered in an actual hour?

12 mph as a speed is fairly easily achievable on a 700c. From memory,
when I used to record such things, I think I logged a max speed of 16 or
17 mph on a Coker/150, and about 13 or 14 mph on a 28/110.

Maintaining the speed for a whole hour (or longer) is the problem.

Take a 700c with a fat tyre - call it a 29 inch rolling diameter.
Circumference = Pi x 29 = 91 inches covered per revolution.

A mile is 1760 x 36 = 63,360 inches

A mile is therefore 63,360 / 91 = 696 revolutions.

1 mile per hour = 696/60 = 11.6 rpm.
12 mph = 11.6 x 12 = 139 rpm.

Not impossible, but requiring not only a high level of fitness, but also
a very high level of skill and concentration, even in ideal
circumstances: flat surface, no headwind, no traffic, no junctions...

--
Mikefule - The first cuckoo of unicycling

Sumer is icomen in, loud sing Mikefule!

Old July 18th 05, 10:07 PM
john_childs

Something to keep in mind when comparing the 10K race times at Unicon
and NAUCC is that many people do not bring their Coker to those events.
The Coker is difficult to take on a plane and when you also want to
bring along your 20" freestyle, your muni, your 24" track uni, your
trials uni and other gear, well, the Coker just gets left behind. A
29er with short cranks is easier and lighter to pack up for a plane
flight so some people are probably opting to take a 29er with short
cranks instead of their Coker even if they can ride faster on the Coker.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) 'Click Me'
(http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)

Old July 18th 05, 10:11 PM
johnfoss

Roger, Ken and Nathan were all on Cokers.
ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
*calculated that Foss was doing about 13.6mph (using his 28).*

I was riding a nominal 29" Schwalbe Big Apple tire with 102mm cranks. I
was trying to keep up with my little group of kids on 24" wheels with
teenytiny cranks.

Me with my group:
http://tinyurl.com/7py4n

Nathan with his group (they were ahead of me):
http://tinyurl.com/b9olr

I have done a 9-mile race at around 11mph on a 24" wheel with 125mm
cranks. I used to be able to max out at 17.5 mph, but only very briefly.

--
johnfoss - More Moab Fun

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old July 18th 05, 10:23 PM
ProudYankee

It's not that hard to keep up with Coker riders if you're on a 29".
I've done it on my 29" with 125mm cranks and I'm no athlete. You'll be
spinning faster when they're 'cruising' but it sounds like that's what
you want anyways. OTOH if they're hammering it I think it'd be a lot
harder to keep up.

--
ProudYankee - \/\/\/\
ProudYankee's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8456

Old July 18th 05, 11:48 PM
ChangingLINKS.com

john_childs wrote:
*

1 Something to keep in mind when comparing the 10K race times at
Unicon and NAUCC is that many people do not bring their Coker to those
events.

2 The Coker is difficult to take on a plane and when you also want to
bring along your 20" freestyle, your muni, your 24" track uni, your
trials uni and other gear, well, the Coker just gets left behind. *

1. Though Cokers were not easy to travel with, the people who had Cokers
were "stellar" riders. I'm thinking the race would shake out the same
had there been more Cokers.

2. Portability and durability are 2 reasons that I am seriously
considering this wheel size.

I don't have to be able to "win" anything. Perhaps I could never race
Cokers . . . .however, it would be nice to be able to keep up - or even
beat a weak Coker rider.

I think I am more interested in the 24" setup that John Foss was
competing with. I really want to be able to use my current setup (so
that I can simply change the wheel and "go").

That way, I could buy a 20" trials wheelset, keep my 24" and have
something ABLE to keep up with Cokers - all by changing the wheel.

Old July 18th 05, 11:57 PM
skate4flip

I was riding my 20" unicycle and i put a speedometer/odometer on it and
i tried to see how fast i could ride. I reached 14.2 mph for about a
second or so. Does this seem accurate or is my speedometer wrong?

--
skate4flip - Between Level 4 and 5
skate4flip's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10198