Giving up

Old August 8th 05, 11:37 PM
ChangingLINKS.com

Default Giving up

johnfoss wrote:
*Beoyond that, all I can offer is that in my many years of unicycling
I have been exposed to thousands of unicycle riders from all
backgrounds and countries, and the vast majority of them (2/3 or more)
are not jugglers.*

Perhaps it's a country/cultural thing. Off of the top of my head, I
cannot think of a unicyclist here that cannot juggle. Just about
everyone that I have asked CAN do a 3 ball pattern.

However, I can't think of more than one unicyclist who can do (very)
well with 4(+) objects.

For clarification, I am just saying that I have observed that most
unicyclists can "juggle (3 balls)" . . . not that they juggle with high
skill.

I'd be interested in meeting some people that started unicycling with no
background in juggling whatsoever. I did something very similar to
juggling prior to unicycling - so I don't count myself in that group.

My thinking is that unicyclists are open-minded and experimental. Thus,
like jugglers, they pick up and learn skills like juggling (at least
long enough to qualify).

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

Old August 8th 05, 11:52 PM
ThisGuyIKnow

You use words like "qualify" for a 3-ball pattern so you are obviously a
juggler and not just someone who can juggle. Supposedly 1 in 3 people
can juggle. Not well necesarily but they can keep 3 balls in the air for
a short period of time. So thinking this way yeah, most unicyclists can
probably juggle, that doesn't mean however that they enjoy juggling or
that they would even consider themselves jugglers.

Your assumption though that all unicyclists are jugglers is just mind
blowing. You seem to think that unicycling is only an extension of
juggling, which it is not.

Your saying that juggling kept unicycling alive is ridiculous as well,
maybe the circus and/or vaudville kept unicycling alive, but juggling is
only a small part of circus and or vaudville.

Unicycling is NOT a circus art, artistic unicycling on the other hand is
a circus art.

But everyone knows that unicycling is far superior since although
impractical can serve a practical purpose such as getting from one place
to another. I've yet to find a single use purpose for juggling.

--
ThisGuyIKnow - Film Guy
ThisGuyIKnow's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10203

Old August 9th 05, 02:22 AM
ChangingLINKS.com

ThisGuyIKnow wrote:

You use words like "qualify" for a 3-ball pattern so you are obviously a
juggler and not just someone who can juggle.

I don't really consider myself a "juggler." I do dance competitions

and use the juggling skill to enhance the art that I do. I also use a
unicycle during the routine, but I am not considered a "unicyclist" in
those circumstances. Instead, I am referred to as "the guy who used a
unicycle." I go to juggling club, & I plan to continue practicing
juggling, but only in an effort to enhance my "step show."

Supposedly 1 in 3 people can juggle. Not well necesarily but they can
keep 3 balls in the air for a short period of time. So thinking this way
yeah, most unicyclists can probably juggle,

OK. That supports the likelyhood that many unicyclists can juggle.

1/3 is the same figure John Foss estimated.

that doesn't mean however that they enjoy juggling or that they would
even consider themselves jugglers.

I see no issue there. This part of the discussion is based on

whether or not they *can.* I don't enjoy juggling yet. I have no "love"
for it outside of my "stepping."

Your assumption though that all unicyclists are jugglers is just mind
blowing. You seem to think that unicycling is only an extension of
juggling, which it is not.

Wrong. I think that juggling is somewhat "easy" and that unicyclists

are likely to be ABLE to juggle.
Put words in your own mouth rather than mine, please . . . OH, wait. . .
it looks like you combined my opinion with someone else's.

But everyone knows that unicycling is far superior since although
impractical can serve a practical purpose such as getting from one place
to another. I've yet to find a single use[ful] purpose for juggling.

Blinded by bias, you are. This thread isn't for slamming juggling.

It's not the place or time to argue that unicycling is somehow
"superior." Do not feel threatened by the tossed object art. I estimate
that I could get more "practical" use from juggling rather than
unicycling. I could easily win thousands of dollars if I had the same
skill level of some of the (best) local jugglers.

I started unicycling with no interest in juggling whatsoever, I did
however pick up juggling at a later time, with no connection to
unicycling though.

And, that my friend, supports my entire position.

The facts that:
Juggling is "easy" enough to learn
Unicyclists like to learn and experiment
Unicyclists are exposed to jugglers
Lots of jugglers try/learn unicycling

. . . supports the *idea* that most unicyclists know how (or learn) to
juggle.

Old August 9th 05, 05:28 AM
johnfoss

ThisGuyIKnow wrote:
*Unicycling is NOT a circus art, artistic unicycling on the other hand
is a circus art.*

Now we're nit-picking. The "problem" people have with unicycling
being a circus art is when non-circus people get asked if they're
clowns. This happens with Trials unicycles as well as the latest
Freestyle model. So unicycling is a circus art, just like trampoline.
Though trampoline is now a well-established gymnastic sport, it
originated in the circus.
*But everyone knows that unicycling is far superior since although
impractical can serve a practical purpose such as getting from one
place to another. I've yet to find a single use purpose for juggling.*

Juggling can be far more practical, in that your juggling objects can be
stored in your pocket and you can do it pretty much anywhere... to each
his own. I only juggle every once in a while.

Here we're talking about U.S. and maybe UK unicyclists. If we consider
other places, such as Japan, I would estimate that over 90% of
unicyclists do not juggle. In Japan, the unicycle is a piece of
elementary school playground or PE equipment. I don't think juggling is
nearly as commonplace there.

I question the 1 in 3 ratio of jugglers in the U.S. Where are all these
people? Mostly I seem to see people who say the age-old quote "I
couldn't juggle for my life!" These people and the less-vocal
non-jugglers seem to greatly outnumber the people I see who can
approximate a 3-ball cascade.

--
johnfoss - More Moab Fun

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

MUni means ticks. Deal with it. Not giving up the MUni Memphis Mud Unicycling 13 September 24th 06 03:48 AM
"Reward" for giving way. Simon Mason UK 14 December 5th 04 10:20 PM
Giving up JBB UK 31 November 21st 04 10:23 PM
Giving up Zog The Undeniable UK 2 August 23rd 04 06:35 PM
Why is the BBC giving space to this twit? dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers UK 75 April 22nd 04 10:30 AM