Cyclist turning right.

Old November 18th 09, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default Cyclist turning right.

This horrifying but all too familiar situation is clearly shown in the
cartoon by Brick.

http://www.brickbats.co.uk/Cartoons/Roadhog.gif

--
Critical Mass London
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
Old November 18th 09, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brown Cat

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 02:44:40 -0800, Doug wrote:

This horrifying but all too familiar situation is clearly shown in the
cartoon by Brick.

http://www.brickbats.co.uk/Cartoons/Roadhog.gif

I've never experienced aggressive behaviour from motorists when moving in
front of them to turn right, although I'm sure it does happen.

Something I have noticed is that if I'm turning right at cross roads,
although I position myself on the right the traffic going straight on
seems to wait until I've completed my maneuver even though there's plenty
of room for them to get past. It's almost as though they're expecting me
to be going straight on and pull in front of them. Anyone else noticed
this? Perhaps a right hand signal to reassure drivers is needed?

Old November 18th 09, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jeremy Parker

"Brown Cat" wrote

[snip]

Something I have noticed is that if I'm turning right at cross
roads,
although I position myself on the right the traffic going straight
on
seems to wait until I've completed my maneuver even though there's
plenty
of room for them to get past. It's almost as though they're
expecting me
to be going straight on and pull in front of them. Anyone else
noticed
this? Perhaps a right hand signal to reassure drivers is needed?

If a close to six foot tall and 200 pound object in the middle of the
road hadn't already signalled something to them, I fear there's not
much hope. Still, if you have nothing better to do until a gap in
the traffic arrives so that you can go, sticking an arm out for a bit
can't do any harm

Jeremy Parker

Old November 18th 09, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Doug wrote:

This horrifying but all too familiar situation is clearly shown in the
cartoon by Brick.

http://www.brickbats.co.uk/Cartoons/Roadhog.gif

What has it to do with turning right?
Old November 18th 09, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BrianW[_2_]

On 18 Nov, 11:17, Brown Cat wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 02:44:40 -0800, Doug wrote:
This horrifying but all too familiar situation is clearly shown in the
cartoon by Brick.

http://www.brickbats.co.uk/Cartoons/Roadhog.gif

I've never experienced aggressive behaviour from motorists when moving in
front of them to turn right, although I'm sure it does happen.

I have once, but it was in the USA. I also had the pleasant
experience, whilst cycling there, of a lorry driver attempting to kill
me by deliberately beckoning me (at a poorly-sighted junction) into
the path of an oncoming vehicle. I had always thought that cycling in
the UK was dangerous enough, but British drivers are angels in
comparison to some of the characters I encountered in the US.
Old November 18th 09, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Happi Monday[_3_]

Brown Cat wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 02:44:40 -0800, Doug wrote:

This horrifying but all too familiar situation is clearly shown in the
cartoon by Brick.

http://www.brickbats.co.uk/Cartoons/Roadhog.gif

I've never experienced aggressive behaviour from motorists when moving in
front of them to turn right, although I'm sure it does happen.

I've had it nearly every time I cycle down a road with a large bus lane
to the left, riding just to the right of the thick white line. Drivers
can't pass without crossing to the oncoming carriageway, and being a
busy road, that normally means following me for 100 or 200 hundred
metres/yards or under-taking in the bus lane and giving the illustrated
abuse. The latter seems to be the norm!

Happi
Old November 18th 09, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Happi Monday[_3_]

JNugent wrote:
Doug wrote:

This horrifying but all too familiar situation is clearly shown in the
cartoon by Brick.

http://www.brickbats.co.uk/Cartoons/Roadhog.gif

What has it to do with turning right?

You're in the wrong place - you need one of these:

uk.mentalhealth.co.uk
or
uk.pricks.co.uk

HTH
Happi
Old November 18th 09, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Happi Monday wrote:
Brown Cat wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 02:44:40 -0800, Doug wrote:

This horrifying but all too familiar situation is clearly shown in the
cartoon by Brick.

http://www.brickbats.co.uk/Cartoons/Roadhog.gif

I've never experienced aggressive behaviour from motorists when moving
in front of them to turn right, although I'm sure it does happen.

I've had it nearly every time I cycle down a road with a large bus lane
to the left, riding just to the right of the thick white line. Drivers
can't pass without crossing to the oncoming carriageway, and being a
busy road, that normally means following me for 100 or 200 hundred
metres/yards or under-taking in the bus lane and giving the illustrated
abuse. The latter seems to be the norm!

Happi

Is cycling banned in that bus lane?

--

Tony Dragon
Old November 18th 09, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Happi Monday[_3_]

Tony Dragon wrote:
Happi Monday wrote:
Brown Cat wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 02:44:40 -0800, Doug wrote:

This horrifying but all too familiar situation is clearly shown in the
cartoon by Brick.

http://www.brickbats.co.uk/Cartoons/Roadhog.gif

I've never experienced aggressive behaviour from motorists when
moving in front of them to turn right, although I'm sure it does happen.

I've had it nearly every time I cycle down a road with a large bus
lane to the left, riding just to the right of the thick white line.
Drivers can't pass without crossing to the oncoming carriageway, and
being a busy road, that normally means following me for 100 or 200
hundred metres/yards or under-taking in the bus lane and giving the
illustrated abuse. The latter seems to be the norm!

Happi

Is cycling banned in that bus lane?

Yes, otherwise I'd look a right prick writing what I did above!
Old November 18th 09, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea[_2_]

BrianW wrote:
On 18 Nov, 11:17, Brown Cat wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 02:44:40 -0800, Doug wrote:
This horrifying but all too familiar situation is clearly shown in
the cartoon by Brick.

http://www.brickbats.co.uk/Cartoons/Roadhog.gif

I've never experienced aggressive behaviour from motorists when
moving in front of them to turn right, although I'm sure it does
happen.

I have once, but it was in the USA. I also had the pleasant
experience, whilst cycling there, of a lorry driver attempting to kill
me by deliberately beckoning me (at a poorly-sighted junction) into
the path of an oncoming vehicle. I had always thought that cycling in
the UK was dangerous enough, but British drivers are angels in
comparison to some of the characters I encountered in the US.

Yesterday as I was cycling to work there was an oncoming car whose driver
furiously tried to wave a car waiting in a side road on my left to pull out
straight in front of me when I was about 20 yards away going at about 20
mph. Fortunately the driver in the side road had seen me and was having none
of it. What I don't understand is that the road at that point was empty
apart from the three of us so there was no need for the oncoming driver to
wave the car out.

turning martin.phillips Unicycling 1 May 14th 08 10:55 PM
turning rookie rider Unicycling 0 May 14th 08 03:13 AM
Turning Pembar Unicycling 17 April 15th 08 12:42 PM
Turning right. Martin Dann UK 53 August 29th 07 11:21 PM
Turning Help IowaKid Unicycling 7 May 12th 04 02:35 PM