"Inconsiderate Motorist" = "Motorist Having It Too Easy"

Old February 12th 10, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim A

Default Slow cycling

Peter Parry wrote:
The only bike I have come across which does the "no oil and mud on
your trousers" bit is the Dutch totally enclosed chain variety which
doesn't seem to allow for the 48 gears people seem to want over here.
Which other designs manage it?

Pashley have a few bicycles with chainguards (I ride their 5-speed
Paramount myself). http://www.pashley.co.uk/

48 gears aren't necessary. I find 5 plenty.

Of course you _could_ spend your life on a bicycle, but most people have
no wish to. For most it will never be an acceptable mode of
transport.

It helps a lot if you live reasonably close to where you work. Some
people seem to think it's perfectly acceptable to commute 50+ miles each
way by car each day - I think thats crazy.

(Talking of clothing, one of our neighbours worked in a company doing
large stock control systems for a number of major European retailers
and once remarked that the largest market for cycling clothing (Lurid
Lycra type) in Europe was in the UK despite it having one of the
smaller cycling populations - I have no idea of the accuracy of this
information.)

We in the UK buy disproportionately more open-top cars than elsewhere
too. There's nowt so queer as folk!

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride
Old February 13th 10, 01:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
SW[_2_]

NM wrote:
On 12 Feb, 08:50, Roger Thorpe
wrote:
NM wrote:
On 9 Feb, 12:56, al Mossah wrote:
On 9 Feb, 10:31, Roger Thorpe
wrote:
"filled the streets with people gliding elegantly about their business"..
is any town in Holland.... Couples languidly cycling home side-by-
side, families with children, elegant ladies with a bunch of flowers
in the basket on their way to dinner......
Pity we have hills isn't it?

Ask any cyclist whether they would prefer a hill or a headwind.

And they will confirm a car with a heater is the best option.

Only if you are going to be sat on your fat arse for hours in a traffic
jam - much better to keep warm by burning some calories.

SW

Old February 13th 10, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea[_2_]

SW wrote:
NM wrote:
On 12 Feb, 08:50, Roger Thorpe
wrote:
NM wrote:
On 9 Feb, 12:56, al Mossah wrote:
On 9 Feb, 10:31, Roger Thorpe
wrote:
"filled the streets with people gliding elegantly about their
business"..
is any town in Holland.... Couples languidly cycling home side-by-
side, families with children, elegant ladies with a bunch of flowers
in the basket on their way to dinner......
Pity we have hills isn't it?
Ask any cyclist whether they would prefer a hill or a headwind.

And they will confirm a car with a heater is the best option.

Only if you are going to be sat on your fat arse for hours in a traffic
jam - much better to keep warm by burning some calories.

SW

Not everybody experiences significant congestion on their commutes.
Old February 22nd 10, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Gray

NM wrote:
On 12 Feb, 08:50, Roger Thorpe
wrote:
NM wrote:
On 9 Feb, 12:56, al Mossah wrote:
On 9 Feb, 10:31, Roger Thorpe
wrote:
"filled the streets with people gliding elegantly about their business"..
is any town in Holland.... Couples languidly cycling home side-by-
side, families with children, elegant ladies with a bunch of flowers
in the basket on their way to dinner......
Pity we have hills isn't it?

Ask any cyclist whether they would prefer a hill or a headwind.

And they will confirm a car with a heater is the best option.

Hmmm ...... Cycling on the flat can get a bit monotonous. The
occasional hill at least gives some variety to riding. Rain I can
tolerate, up to a point, but a headwind can sap your energy. A car? No
thanks. I passed my driving test over 30 years ago, drove a car on
holiday that year, and that was enough for me. Never again.

John Gray