HGV left hook

Old February 18th 10, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Tom Crispin

Default HGV left hook

This post refers to the incident in this report:
http://tinyurl.com/yh7bqsb from:
http://www.thelondonpaper.com/thelon...am-high-street

The recovered victim of this HGV left hook is a close friend of a
friend of mine. My friend's mother was called by the police to be at
the victim's bedside soon after the incident; the victim's mother
lives in Austrailia. My friend has related the victim's account of the
incident to me.

On the 2 June 2009 the female cyclist was waiting at red lights in the
centre of the lane. A lorry pulled up behind and stopped. The cyclist
was unaware that the lorry was about to turn left.

When the lights turned to green the cyclist pulled off and the driver
pulled off and around to the right, as if overtaking the cyclist.
However, instead of overtaking the cyclist the driver, after pulling
over to the right, turned left. The cyclist stopped and started
shouting for the driver to stop. The driver continued turning left and
the side of the lorry came right up to the cyclist who could not get
out of the way. The cyclist continued shouting and started hammering
on the side of the lorry and cars started sounding their horns and
pedestrians were shouting and yelling for the driver to stop. However
the driver continued and the cyclist went under the wheels.

The lorry went over the cyclist's lower body, breaking both legs and
her pelvis. The driver stopped with the full weight of his vehicle on
the cyclist. A passer by persuaded the driver to reverse, which he
did, and that partially freed the cyclist from under the wheels, and
possibly saved her life.

9 months on and the cyclist has made an excellent recovery and is
planning to run in the London Marathon in April.

I have no idea what the driver's account of the incident might be. I
expect he will claim that the cyclist came up his inside while he was
indicating left - it would make a refreshing change if his account
matches that of the recovered cyclist.
Old February 18th 10, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Man at B&Q

On Feb 18, 5:35*pm, Tom Crispin
wrote:
This post refers to the incident in this report:http://tinyurl.com/yh7bqsbfrom:www.t...female-cyclist....

[...]

And your point is?

MBQ
Old February 18th 10, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Adrian

Tom Crispin gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

I have no idea what the driver's account of the incident might be.

shrug Does it matter? He clearly ****ed up and is entirely to blame.

Sorry - were you expecting a different reaction?
Old February 18th 10, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Mortimer

"Adrian" wrote in message
Tom Crispin gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

I have no idea what the driver's account of the incident might be.

shrug Does it matter? He clearly ****ed up and is entirely to blame.

Sorry - were you expecting a different reaction?

Do the cars that witnessed it back up the cyclist's memories of the event?
Assuming that they do (and I'm sure they will) then I wonder what the police
are doing about it? Careless or even Dangerous Driving?

Old February 18th 10, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Keith[_3_]

["Followup-To:" header set to uk.rec.driving.]
On 18 Feb 2010 at 17:43, Adrian wrote:
Tom Crispin gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:
I have no idea what the driver's account of the incident might be.

shrug Does it matter? He clearly ****ed up and is entirely to blame.

Only if you believe the troll's account. More likely the cyclist was
coming up fast on the nearside, misjudged the lorry's intentions, and
ended up ploughing right into the side of it.

Sorry - were you expecting a different reaction?

He's a car-hating troll. All he wanted to do was provoke a reaction of
any kind. The world would be a better place if he went and boiled his
head.

Old February 18th 10, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Tony Dragon

Tom Crispin wrote:
[...]

Assuming the friend of a friends report is correct, by now the case
should have been heard, what was the outcome?

--
Tony Dragon
Old February 18th 10, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Tom Crispin" wrote in message
[...]

Are the traffic lights you refer to at the junction of Peckham High St and
Peckham Hill Road? Did the accident happen at the junction of Peckham High
St and Bellenden Road?

Old February 18th 10, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Jim A

Tom Crispin wrote:
[some stuff] but x-posted it to uk.rec.driving and uk.transport. It was
such an obvious troll I didn't bother to read it.

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride
Old February 18th 10, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Tom Crispin

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:58:00 -0000, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

"Tom Crispin" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The incident happened at the junction of Peckham High Street and
Bellenden Road; I assume the lights are the ones at that same
junction, and not 200m east at Peckham Hill Street. But that is an
assumption on my part.
Old February 18th 10, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Tom Crispin

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:54:27 +0000, Tony Dragon
wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:
[...]

I would have thought that my friend would have said if a case had been
heard. Next time I see him or his wife I will ask.

new Sky kit is off the hook! bar Racing 21 January 7th 10 02:04 AM
Left Hook Tim Woodall UK 10 October 3rd 07 08:40 AM
Making left turn -- how far left is left? [email protected] General 18 October 11th 05 12:15 AM
right hook lokey General 42 June 6th 05 09:41 AM
Do you have the hook? [email protected] General 2 January 21st 05 02:56 AM