IAM Does Not Support Helmet Law

Old April 26th 10, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_3_]

Default IAM Does Not Support Helmet Law

But advocates cycle lanes. Since we know helmets reduce injury and
cycle lanes are more dangerous than the road, this can only be an
underground movement to kill cyclists.

http://www.iam.org.uk/latest_news/cy...iampoll.h tml
Old April 26th 10, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Tosspot wrote:

But advocates cycle lanes. Since we know helmets reduce injury and
cycle lanes are more dangerous than the road, this can only be an
underground movement to kill cyclists.

http://www.iam.org.uk/latest_news/cy...iampoll.h tml

The IAM has no authority.
Old April 26th 10, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim A

On 04/26/2010 05:38 PM, Tosspot wrote:
But advocates cycle lanes. Since we know helmets reduce injury and
cycle lanes are more dangerous than the road, this can only be an
underground movement to kill cyclists.

Cycle lanes are not necessarily more dangerous than the road. Note the
IAM said:

"The IAM has called for funding to be allocated to cycle training as
well as /better/ cycle lanes."

(emphasis mine).

It would seem the IAM actually recognises that cycle lanes are often far
from ideal.

http://www.iam.org.uk/latest_news/cy...iampoll.h tml

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride
Old April 26th 10, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On 26 Apr, 17:49, JNugent wrote:
Tosspot wrote:
But advocates cycle lanes. *Since we know helmets reduce injury and
cycle lanes are more dangerous than the road, this can only be an
underground movement to kill cyclists.
http://www.iam.org.uk/latest_news/cy...rtantthanhelme...

The IAM has no authority.

Neither does anyone else, judging by the way many cyclists ride! At
least the IAM are in favour of training cyclists to behave in a less
leeming like fashion. In view of the low support for compulsory helmet
wearing, I suspect that a lot of the responses to the poll were from
cyclists.

Derek C

Old April 26th 10, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JMS

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 10:31:53 -0700 (PDT), Derek C
wrote:

On 26 Apr, 17:49, JNugent wrote:
Tosspot wrote:
But advocates cycle lanes. *Since we know helmets reduce injury and
cycle lanes are more dangerous than the road, this can only be an
underground movement to kill cyclists.
http://www.iam.org.uk/latest_news/cy...rtantthanhelme...

The IAM has no authority.

Neither does anyone else, judging by the way many cyclists ride! At
least the IAM are in favour of training cyclists to behave in a less
leeming like fashion. In view of the low support for compulsory helmet
wearing, I suspect that a lot of the responses to the poll were from
cyclists.

Derek C

Spot on.

This was the poll which was promoted here - as a result of a calling
of the troops by CTC.

I recall that many people here voted - so you are spot on.

(I also recall people saying that the poll was flawed - no doubt it
will now be judged to be OK now that the results are known)

Old April 26th 10, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

the IAM said:

"The IAM has called for funding to be allocated to cycle training as
well as /better/ cycle lanes."

Hmmm. I wonder where that 'funding' would come from?

Oh - motorists obviously.

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike is a kid's toy, not a
viable form of transport.

Old April 27th 10, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea[_2_]

Derek C wrote:

In view of the low support for compulsory helmet
wearing, I suspect that a lot of the responses to the poll were from
cyclists.

Derek C

If that is the case why were so few in favour of further introduction
and enforcement of 20 mph zones, which you would expect cyclists in
general to be in favour of?

Just over 40% thought additional police resources should be made
available to ensure cyclists adhere to the rules of the road. Doesn't
sound like the sort of thing cyclists would be so enthusiastic about.
Old April 27th 10, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On 26 Apr, 18:34, Squashme wrote:
On 26 Apr, 18:31, Derek C wrote:

On 26 Apr, 17:49, JNugent wrote:

Tosspot wrote:
But advocates cycle lanes. *Since we know helmets reduce injury and
cycle lanes are more dangerous than the road, this can only be an
underground movement to kill cyclists.
http://www.iam.org.uk/latest_news/cy...rtantthanhelme...

The IAM has no authority.

Neither does anyone else, judging by the way many cyclists ride! *At
least the IAM are in favour of training cyclists to behave in a less
leeming like fashion.

Like Jan?

Sorry typo error. I meant lemming. A small artic rodent that is noted
for population explosions followed by alleged mass suicides.

Derek C
Old April 27th 10, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

JNugent wrote:
Tosspot wrote:

But advocates cycle lanes. Since we know helmets reduce injury and
cycle lanes are more dangerous than the road, this can only be an
underground movement to kill cyclists.

http://www.iam.org.uk/latest_news/cy...iampoll.h tml

The IAM has no authority.

But is entitled to have, and express, opinions, which may
be discussed.

BugBear