LA v. MJ

Old July 28th 03, 04:25 AM
Steve

Default LA v. MJ

Congrtas to LA for a well deserved win. The dedication, the mental
strength and the superiority in his sport is really amazing. Reminds
me of Michael when he had total control of Basketball.
But who's the greater athlete?

MJ- the ultimate competitor, refuses to lose, always finds a way to
win, never failed in any level.

LA- overcame cancer, argueably in a tougher sport, the best cycler
ever.

Tough one, isn't it?

Personally, I think they are tied, but if LA comes back next year and
wins his 6th TdF, he'll go down is the greatest athlete of all times.

--Steve
Old July 28th 03, 05:59 AM
Jiyang Chen

Lance Armstrong trains a lot more than Michael Jordan. 5-7 hours on the
bike plus weight lifting on some days. Lance Armstrong relies on natural
ability as well as being one of the most dedicated athletes out there, and
Michael Jordan relies on his natural skills more than dedication. I don't
think he plays 5-7 hours of basketball everyday.
om...

Old July 28th 03, 08:11 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message
Lance Armstrong trains a lot more than Michael Jordan. 5-7 hours on the
bike plus weight lifting on some days. Lance Armstrong relies on natural
ability as well as being one of the most dedicated athletes out there, and
Michael Jordan relies on his natural skills more than dedication. I don't
think he plays 5-7 hours of basketball everyday.

Jordan used to host a Sunrise fitness session (usually Pippen and one other
player) at the court at his home, then they'd eat breakfast, then go to the
United Center, then lift weights, then do the official team practice, then
lift weights after the official team practice.

That's why they won 72 games. Athletes don't reach those levels by sitting
on their ass.

Old July 28th 03, 10:27 AM
Steve

I disagree about training ethics.

Michael was known for his amazing work ethic, sweaty summer five on
fives, weightlifting etc. I don't believe LA has an edge in this
category.

--Steve
Old July 28th 03, 11:54 AM
Basketor

"Jiyang Chen" a écrit dans le message de news:
Lance Armstrong trains a lot more than Michael Jordan. 5-7 hours on the
bike plus weight lifting on some days. Lance Armstrong relies on natural
ability as well as being one of the most dedicated athletes out there, and
Michael Jordan relies on his natural skills more than dedication. I don't
think he plays 5-7 hours of basketball everyday.

It's not the same effort, so the training is different.
They stay 6 hours on a bike without interruption., you don't play 6 hours of
basketball.

Old July 28th 03, 02:06 PM
Ingemar Svensson

lazysegall wrote in message ...
Steven L. Sheff wrote:
On 7/27/03 9:25 PM, in article
, "Steve"
wrote:
Congrtas to LA for a well deserved win. The dedication, the mental
strength and the superiority in his sport is really amazing. Reminds
me of Michael when he had total control of Basketball. But who's the
greater athlete?

MJ- the ultimate competitor, refuses to lose, always finds a way to
win, never failed in any level.

LA- overcame cancer, argueably in a tougher sport, the best
cycler ever.

Lance is hardly the best cyclist ever.
The names Eddy Merckx, Fausto Coppi, and Bernard Hinault ring a bell at
all? How about Jacques Anquetil and Miguel Indurain?
Tough one, isn't it?

Personally, I think they are tied, but if LA comes back next year and
wins his 6th TdF, he'll go down is the greatest athlete of all times.

--Steve

I think you could be the greatest cyclist and not the greatest athlete
ever. Indurain was not a great rider and I don;t want to hear that he
was. I also think that Cycling is differnt now. Preperation has become
so scientific that a GC rider can only realistically peak for a month or
two. Look at Simoni. He was in top form for the Giro and then looked
like a differnt rider. To further support that point I think that Heras
will ride a great Vuelta.

Take a look at a guy like Vinokourov, he's been in form the whole
year. He's proof that you still can race at a high level all year.
Simonis form is the result of the fact that he hasn't raced between
the Giro and the Tour, that was his mistake, he didn't prepare enough
for the tour.

I my opimion Armstrong is way too single minded to ever reach the
highest ranks of cyclists. He's always going to be one step behind
even if he wins his 6th tour. All the others in the 5-tour club have
also won the Giro, Armstrong hasn't even tried.