Getting down to 1 bike - what would you pick

Old January 23rd 12, 08:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
don Gabacho

Default Getting down to 1 bike - what would you pick

A, as I have, a twenty-year old Specialized Rockhopper modified
somewhat for urban (hilly) living with lightly treaded road tires and
collapsible rear baskets. I'd take it, and it would go, anywhere.

If I want to go cross-country, the baskets become panniers.

As it is, off-road, I can chug along.

If I want to go off-road more seriously, I can simply change the
tires.

Old January 26th 12, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Michael Press

In article
,
Anton Berlin wrote:

I am one of those nuts that has 10 machines in the garage. From a
custom made Columbus Max with SR an Aquila titanium with a brand new c-
record large flange group, to several carbon frames and a collection
of disc wheels and H3s etc.

I am in the stage where I want to simplify and feel that I could get
practical and get down to one bike and be content with that.

My current idea is a titanium cyclocross style bike that uses mtb
wheels, has a long wheelbase and is set up for touring (fenders,
panniers, etc) would be the best compromise of all worlds.

I want a bike that is flexible enough to ride everyday, tour
extensively on (already have 2 cycling trips around the world and
multiple through Europe)

The open questions are rim brakes or discs ? Derailleurs or internal
gearing (rohloff or sram) ?

And the pros and cons of using s&s couplers. Thanks in advance for
your thoughts and input.

Take it by easy stages. Is there _one_ bicycle
you are _fully_ prepared to see go away?

I have two bicycles, both drop bar, high pressure tires.
One is for errands, the other is not.

--
Michael Press
Old February 5th 12, 08:11 AM
JaxRhapsody JaxRhapsody is offline
Junior Member

Location: Louisville, KY
Send a message via MSN to JaxRhapsody Send a message via Yahoo to JaxRhapsody

This exact thread is on velospace. Word from word, post to post. The only thong its missing is my post.
The Jax Rhapsody, Rhapsodic Laviathan. Man behind the fro with tinted sunglasses.

Need help to pick up a bike Martin Mountain Biking 3 April 22nd 06 10:11 AM
Need help to pick up a bike Martin Mountain Biking 0 April 20th 06 04:42 PM
Need help to pick up a bike Martin Mountain Biking 0 April 20th 06 01:37 PM
TDU Who is your pick?? bigW Australia 5 January 24th 04 08:54 AM
FS: Reynolds 531 Road Bicycle. 58 cm classic Raleigh. Built-up ascommuter bike. Good riding condition. Mavic, StrongLight, Campagnolocomponents, good tires, extras. I'm keeping the pedals. Carefully boxed toship or you can pick up in the Atlanta Mark Shefrin Marketplace 1 September 17th 03 04:42 PM