Safest bike parking (outdoor) in the world

Old November 1st 05, 02:22 PM
dgk

Default Safest bike parking (outdoor) in the world

My job is currently located down the block from the NY Stock Exchange.
So, we have people with machine guns at the corner. Cops roam up and
down the streets, which have most vehicular traffic banned and are
effectively pedestrian (and bike) malls.

Many of the streets have a sort of airlock design, where two sets of
big hydraulic plates keep vehicles from passing until dogs can sniff
at them. My block doesn't have those however; instead two guys in big
SUVs block the road and pull back as ordered by the cops. So, my bike
spends the day locked to scaffolding right in front of one of those
SUVs. Some guy sits in there all day long just watching my bike!

Anyone taking a bolt cutter to my chain best be prepared to get
machine gun slugs up the wazoo. Those guys look bored and would
appreciate any chance to spring into action.

Your tax dollars at work guarding my bike.

I'd take a picture for you folks but I'd probably get shot.
Old November 1st 05, 08:38 PM
Fritz M

dgk wrote:
Anyone taking a bolt cutter to my chain best be prepared to get
machine gun slugs up the wazoo.

Do you really think so?

Cop: "Hey, what are you doing with that bolt cutter."

Thief: "Uh? Oh, I lost my key yesterday so I'm having to do this to get
my bike. Do you know how to work these things? I've never used one
before."

RFM

Old November 1st 05, 09:05 PM
dgk

On 1 Nov 2005 12:38:28 -0800, "Fritz M" wrote:

dgk wrote:
Anyone taking a bolt cutter to my chain best be prepared to get
machine gun slugs up the wazoo.

Do you really think so?

Cop: "Hey, what are you doing with that bolt cutter."

Thief: "Uh? Oh, I lost my key yesterday so I'm having to do this to get
my bike. Do you know how to work these things? I've never used one
before."

RFM

You're right, of course. Arresting someone means having to go to court
and deal with the booking and everything.
Old November 1st 05, 09:38 PM
Cheto

"dgk" wrote in message

My job is currently located down the block from the NY Stock Exchange.
So, we have people with machine guns at the corner. Cops roam up and
down the streets, which have most vehicular traffic banned and are
effectively pedestrian (and bike) malls.

I thank God I don't live or work in a situation even remotely close to
yours.

Cheto

Old November 1st 05, 10:48 PM
Leo Lichtman

I locked my motorcycle to a parking meter, and when I got back, I had lost
my keys. I went to a hardware store, bought a pair of Vise-grips and a
hacksaw blade, and sawed through the cable. People walked by and paid no
attention whatever.

Old November 1st 05, 11:00 PM

Leo Lichtman wrote:
I locked my motorcycle to a parking meter, and when I got back, I had lost
my keys. I went to a hardware store, bought a pair of Vise-grips and a
hacksaw blade, and sawed through the cable. People walked by and paid no
attention whatever.

I have heard the story of the man who borrowed a wrench from the fire
dept accross the street so that he could remove the top of the sign
where "his" bike was locked. Look honest and you can often get away
with it

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Old November 2nd 05, 01:40 AM
Bob

dgk wrote:
Anyone taking a bolt cutter to my chain best be prepared to get
machine gun slugs up the wazoo.

Do you really think so?

Cop: "Hey, what are you doing with that bolt cutter."

Thief: "Uh? Oh, I lost my key yesterday so I'm having to do this to get
my bike. Do you know how to work these things? I've never used one
before."

RFM

You're right, of course. Arresting someone means having to go to court
and deal with the booking and everything.

Yes, all cops are too dumb and/or lazy to do their job. All those
people in prison are just there trying to escape their nagging spouses,
aggravating bosses, irritating neighbors, or meddling in-laws.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old November 2nd 05, 03:06 AM
~R

my car got broken into a few yrs ago (in NYC), so the next day I
was installing lock-guards with a drill, and a cop pulled up to
me and asked me "what the hell was going on. was I breaking into
the car?" My reply was a furious,"Where were you when my car was
really getting broken into yesterday?!" Dang! Glad I leave my car
at home now and bike everywhere possible. (and take my bike up
with me when I go to work, lock it up indoors!)

~R

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
: I locked my motorcycle to a parking meter, and when I got back,
I had lost
: my keys. I went to a hardware store, bought a pair of
Vise-grips and a
: hacksaw blade, and sawed through the cable. People walked by
and paid no
: attention whatever.
:
:

Old November 2nd 05, 03:28 AM
Roger Houston

"Fritz M" wrote in message
oups.com...
dgk wrote:
Anyone taking a bolt cutter to my chain best be prepared to get
machine gun slugs up the wazoo.

Do you really think so?

Cop: "Hey, what are you doing with that bolt cutter."

Thief: "Uh? Oh, I lost my key yesterday so I'm having to do this to get
my bike. Do you know how to work these things? I've never used one
before."

Cop: "Well, I might have been born yesterday, pal, but I stayed up all
night. Step around to the front of my car and put your hands on the hood.

Old November 2nd 05, 06:19 PM
Fritz M

Roger Houston wrote:

Cop: "Well, I might have been born yesterday, pal, but I stayed up all
night. Step around to the front of my car and put your hands on the hood.

This is a 5 minute Quicktime video.

http://neistat.com/pages/video_holdi...ef_holding.htm

The Neistat brothers locked up their bikes and filmed themselves
stealing them using various tools.

1. He walks up to the chained bike while holding big bolt cutters,
snaps the chain off, then rides off.

2. He takes six minutes cutting through the chain with a hacksaw.
Several groups of people walked by. Nobody said a thing.

3. He puts on safety goggles, ear protection, leather gloves and plugs
an angle grinder into a lightpost. *ZIP* the chain falls off, he puts
everything into his bag and rides off.

4. He's pounding away on the lock with a hammer and spike. A cop rolls
right by the "thief," pulls through the intersection and tells the
cameraman at the opposite corner that he can't be there standing in the
lane.