Iowa drivers safest in US?

Old June 8th 05, 01:52 PM
Matt O'Toole

Default Iowa drivers safest in US?

I just came across this article, which rates American cities by accident rates:

http://tinyurl.com/algqr

Cedar Rapids came out the safest. But what I found most interesting was this:

"But the report's findings echo an earlier study by GMAC Insurance Group
that rated Iowa drivers high in knowledge about traffic rules and
safety, putting the state third in the nation."

I've always thought this made a big difference, and that a major campaign to
educate drivers could be very effective in addressing one of our nation's
biggest public health problems -- motor vehicle accidents.

Matt O.

Old June 8th 05, 11:15 PM
hfhfh

I drive through Iowa on my way from Mo. to Wi. every couple months.
What the report doesn't say is that Iowa is safe because Iowa drivers
are slooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Old June 8th 05, 11:41 PM
Fritz M

hfhfh wrote:
I drive through Iowa on my way from Mo. to Wi. every couple months.
What the report doesn't say is that Iowa is safe because Iowa drivers
are slooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Which refutes the arguments of speeders who all claim that it's always
"speed differential" that causes accidents and kills instead of their
disregard for the safety of others on the road.

RFM
http://www.masoner.net/diabetes/

Old June 9th 05, 12:38 AM
Pat

:
: Which refutes the arguments of speeders who all claim that it's always
: "speed differential" that causes accidents and kills instead of their
: disregard for the safety of others on the road.
:
: RFM

You are forgetting something called "situational awareness". Translated:
some people just don't have a clue!

Pat in TX

Old June 9th 05, 04:19 AM
AustinMN

Matt O'Toole wrote:
I just came across this article, which rates American cities by accident
rates:

http://tinyurl.com/algqr

Cedar Rapids came out the safest. But what I found most interesting was
this:

"But the report's findings echo an earlier study by GMAC Insurance
Group
that rated Iowa drivers high in knowledge about traffic rules
and
safety, putting the state third in the nation."

I've always thought this made a big difference, and that a major campaign
educate drivers could be very effective in addressing one of our nation's
biggest public health problems -- motor vehicle accidents.

I've claimed before that (IMNSHO) it would be more cost effective to try to
get drivers to not crash than to try to get them to crash safely (air bags,
ABS brakes, crumple zones, etc.). The best combination (for safety) is
optimization of each, but a dollar spent on driver
education/enforcement/removing chronic bad drivers/etc. will always beat a
dollar spent on trying to prevent injury in a crash that is already
occurring.

The crash that doesn't happen doesn't need safety devices.

Austin (Crashing Safely is an oxymoron, emphasis on the moron.)
--
I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
There are no X characters in my address

Old June 9th 05, 03:40 PM
rdclark

hfhfh wrote:
I drive through Iowa on my way from Mo. to Wi. every couple months.
What the report doesn't say is that Iowa is safe because Iowa drivers
are slooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

You mean they recognize the fact that the 5 minutes extra per trip they
spend on safe driving is not going to permanently damage their lives?

When I see somebody on the Interstate passing me at 85mph I really want
to ask them what they plan to do with the minutes they think they're
gaining. I doubt very many of them are actually late for something.

RichC

Old June 9th 05, 07:16 PM
Matt O'Toole

AustinMN wrote:

I've claimed before that (IMNSHO) it would be more cost effective to
try to get drivers to not crash than to try to get them to crash
safely (air bags, ABS brakes, crumple zones, etc.). The best
combination (for safety) is optimization of each, but a dollar spent
on driver education/enforcement/removing chronic bad drivers/etc.
will always beat a dollar spent on trying to prevent injury in a
crash that is already occurring.

The crash that doesn't happen doesn't need safety devices.

I agree. There's plenty of evidence but it's still a tough sell. Americans
tend to think they know everything, and that no one has anything to teach them
about driving. Suggesting otherwise is usually taken as an insult.

Matt O.

Old June 9th 05, 07:20 PM
Matt O'Toole

rdclark wrote:

You mean they recognize the fact that the 5 minutes extra per trip
they spend on safe driving is not going to permanently damage their
lives?

The sad thing is, it's probably not anywhere near 5 minutes, but mere seconds,
if that.

When I see somebody on the Interstate passing me at 85mph I really
want to ask them what they plan to do with the minutes they think
they're gaining. I doubt very many of them are actually late for
something.

85 on an interstate doesn't bother me. It's the all too common 50 in a 35 zone,
red light running, unsafe passing, and aggressively toying with other drivers
that I find appalling.

Matt O.

Old June 10th 05, 01:01 AM
Pat

:
: I agree. There's plenty of evidence but it's still a tough sell.
Americans
: tend to think they know everything, and that no one has anything to teach
them
: about driving. Suggesting otherwise is usually taken as an insult.
:
: Matt O.

Are you saying that this frame of mind is ONLY found in Americans?
:
:

Old June 10th 05, 05:05 PM
hfhfh

When I see somebody on the Interstate passing me at 85mph I really want
to ask them what they plan to do with the minutes they think they're
gaining. I doubt very many of them are actually late for something.

For many people, especially those on ling trips, 5 minutes less time
spent in the car is 5 minutes less pain to endure.

You may not have a pressing schedule, but that doesn't mean the guy
blowing past you at 85 mph doesn't.

Speeding has a tendency to keep one awake, watching for police, etc.
When I set the cruise control for the speed limit and then just grind
down the highway I am asleep in a matter of a few minutes. I'd say
sleeping at the wheel is MUCH more dangerous than speeding, unless one
is speeding recklessly.