How does I fix these cranks?

Old September 24th 12, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

Default How does I fix these cranks?

Today I see the drive-side crank here is loose on the spindle. The
non-drive side moves a much smaller bit, that appears to be the bearing
play (it could probably use new bearings anyway).

I never much got into bicycle mechanics really, so what [special] tools
would I need to get this thing apart, and what kind of crank is it
exactly? (to get a replacement, if it can't just be tightened up,,,) \

The spindle is a tube that runs almost all the way through from the
drive side, to the non-drive side....

http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dcim...s/loose01.html
Old September 25th 12, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 25/09/12 08:41, Doug Cimperman wrote:
Today I see the drive-side crank here is loose on the spindle. The
non-drive side moves a much smaller bit, that appears to be the bearing
play (it could probably use new bearings anyway).

I never much got into bicycle mechanics really, so what [special] tools
would I need to get this thing apart, and what kind of crank is it
exactly? (to get a replacement, if it can't just be tightened up,,,) \

The spindle is a tube that runs almost all the way through from the
drive side, to the non-drive side....

http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dcim...s/loose01.html

Looks similar to this?

http://www.sram.com/truvativ/products/truvativ-gxp-bb

A quick google search yields..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB1wcwlmsRc

Probably easier to view that than explain in words. You only need the
special BB tool and ratchet driver or adjustable spanner, and an 8 mm
hex key.

If the bearings are stuffed, you might need something to help removal
and replacement. I didn't see if they are just pressed into the cups or
on the axle. Be a little careful with the cups as they are likely Al
and may be damaged if you need to knock the bearing out with a hammer punch.

If there are torque recommendations, try to work to them. If you don't
have a torque wrench, estimate kilograms or pounds of force on the end
of a spanner to achieve close to the correct torque. I.e. 90 Nm is
approx 9 kg over 1 meter, or 18 kg over 500 mm, or 36 kg over 250 mm.

--
JS.
Old September 25th 12, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

read on

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...w=1152&bih=635

Truvativ is Greek here.
Old September 25th 12, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

On 9/24/2012 6:03 PM, James wrote:
On 25/09/12 08:41, Doug Cimperman wrote:
Today I see the drive-side crank here is loose on the spindle. The
non-drive side moves a much smaller bit, that appears to be the bearing
play (it could probably use new bearings anyway).

I never much got into bicycle mechanics really, so what [special] tools
would I need to get this thing apart, and what kind of crank is it
exactly? (to get a replacement, if it can't just be tightened up,,,) \

The spindle is a tube that runs almost all the way through from the
drive side, to the non-drive side....

http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dcim...s/loose01.html

Looks similar to this?

http://www.sram.com/truvativ/products/truvativ-gxp-bb

A quick google search yields..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB1wcwlmsRc

I have an arbor press and torque wrenches.

Is it possible to install a square-taper BB into the frame? I'm not
finding much available in the road 130/74 category that doesn't cost
huge sums of money.

This is the only drop-in I have found so far-
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...0#ReviewHeader
(FSA Gossamer MegaExo Triple Crankset)

The other two are square-taper, one is 118 and one is 122mm.

Old September 25th 12, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 25/09/12 12:25, Doug Cimperman wrote:
[...]

Whoa! I thought you wanted to fix what you have? Before trying to find
replacements, I'd be looking to find out what's wrong with what you've
got. It's quite possibly just a pair of bearings away from good as new.

How does $20 sound?

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id228.html

It seems the bearings are pressed into the Al housing that screws into
the frame. I don't have this type of BB, so I'm only going off what I
just read in a forum and from the youtube video. Some mention heating
the Al (and cooling the bearing) to help press it out.

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...gs-589495.html

I would be taking it apart and trying to find out the root cause of the
problem. Note that to remove the cranks and axle, you should only need
an 8 mm hex key I think. From there you could stick your finger in and
feel the bearings, to try to detect wear, slop or roughness.

--
JS.
Old September 25th 12, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

On 9/24/2012 9:54 PM, James wrote:
[...]

I can already see that it's not (only) the bearings.
The left crank (that bolts on) is still solid on the spindle. The right
crank is loose on the spindle--and it is the one that's glued on, and
not ever supposed to come loose.

Somebody on bikeforums says it's sometimes possible to re-glue them, but
I don't even care to try.

Also I see many reports of BB30's being noisy......... and mine was
another one of them.

If this would fit in-
http://harriscyclery.net/product/shi...acket-1203.htm
then there's a few cheaper crank choices available.

Old September 25th 12, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 25/09/12 13:15, Doug Cimperman wrote:
[...]

Ooo - that's not good. Yes, it sounds like a replacement is the way to go.

If this would fit in-
http://harriscyclery.net/product/shi...acket-1203.htm

then there's a few cheaper crank choices available.

From the tech manual on this page
http://www.sram.com/service/truvativ/42 it would seem that yours is
likely 68 mm. Measure to be sure, and then I would suspect the Shimano
BB you linked to above would fit. Careful of Italian v English threads,
and make sure to get one with a long enough axle to space the crank set
far enough from the frame.

Mr. A. Muzi will likely have some suggestions for you.

To install the Shimano BB you will need a special tool, and to remove
the cranks in the future a different tool.

--
JS.
Old September 25th 12, 01:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 21:25:22 -0500, Doug Cimperman
wrote:

[...]

Rather then an entire new BB and the cranks to fit it, it is probably
possible to replace the bearings in the existing BB. See
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAqAa...eature=related
for a pretty good explanation, or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWdSqn81MAk
for a somewhat less elegant explanation of how to do it.

--
Cheers,
John B.
Old September 25th 12, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

there's a conversion post in the links I sent preceeding...

try Universal Cycles...callem...

avoid square tapirs
Old September 25th 12, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 22:15:13 -0500, Doug Cimperman
wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I previously posted a suggestion to change the bearings. It is
likely that you have the usual "English" thread in the BB but to be
sure take a bearing housing with you when you go shopping. The older
style, one piece, BB's are made in various axle lengths, which have an
effect on the chain line. It also varies on whether you use a one, two
or three chain ring crank. To install the one piece BB takes a special
wrench and there seem to be several different tools available - few,
if any, are interchangeable.

Once you get the BB installed there are at least two different tapers
used so the new cranks will need to match the BB. You can put them on
with common hand tools but you a "crank puller" to get them off.

To be blunt, if you don't have the tools and you don't have the
experience this is likely a job that you would be better off to have
done for you. I would assume that if you bought the new BB and crank
set from a shop that installation would be minimal, or free.

--
Cheers,
John B.