letter to editor

Old February 3rd 18, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default letter to editor

On 2018-02-03 09:25, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 07:48:41 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

Nearly everyone [thinks he] knows how to ride a bicycle[,
but in fact knows less than nothing].

Please don't mung quotes. Anyhow, I disagree with your comments in the
brackets.

Witness the "cycle track" being proposed here for Market street: a
two-way lane hidden behind a row of parked cars, between a right-turn
lane and the sidewalk.

I don't know where "here" is but it is a well-known fact that some
planners are competent enough to build good bike paths while others are
incompetent. In some countries such as my old stomping grounds in
Germany most planners seem to be incompetent.

In our area east of Sacramento, California, we are mostly lucky. Our
community (Cameron Park) has almost no bike facilities because the local
leaders are ... well, I better censor what I was going to write here.
Folsom and Placerville OTOH are quite excellent in that domain, where we
get this:

https://folsomcasharttrail.com/Porta...-15-142644-430

Of course, my favorite bike routes look like this:

https://cdn-files.apstatic.com/mtb/7...1458762626.jpg

Aside from an increase in riders it has other effects. More people spend
their discretionary funds (restaurants, pubs, etc.) there. I personally
met people who bought a house there because of the bike path system. Now
we are talking north of $400k plus $5k/year in property taxes. In my
case I also spend more of my "errand Dollars" there, for example when I
need something from the hardware store. The key reason is that I can
cycle right to their front entrance and they even let me take the bike
inside.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old February 3rd 18, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Nearly everyone [thinks he] knows how to ride a bicycle[,
but in fact knows less than nothing].

Witness the "cycle track" being proposed here for Market street: a
two-way lane hidden behind a row of parked cars, between a right-turn
lane and the sidewalk.

But... but... but it's a bicycle facility! And as everybody knows "Any
bicycle facility is a good bicycle facility!" I mean, at least they're
doing _something_ for us!

/sarcasm

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 3rd 18, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

You asked about ZĂ©fal clean/lube products
recently but that guy on the Graziella seems
to have something supernatural going on.

Right, the question was about their
"Bio Degreaser" but yes, they have a
"Bike Pro Lube" as well. I have a 125ml/4oz
bottle. It doesn't say anything interesting on
it tho.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old February 3rd 18, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

Nearly everyone [thinks he] knows how to ride a bicycle[,
but in fact knows less than nothing].

Witness the "cycle track" being proposed here for Market street: a
two-way lane hidden behind a row of parked cars, between a right-turn
lane and the sidewalk.

There's a technical term for that, 'kill zone'.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 4th 18, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

Nearly everyone [thinks he] knows how to ride a bicycle[,
but in fact knows less than nothing].

Witness the "cycle track" being proposed here for Market street: a
two-way lane hidden behind a row of parked cars, between a right-turn
lane and the sidewalk.

There's a technical term for that, 'kill zone'.

I prefer "killing fields." Designed by Pol Pothole to exterminate the cyclists.

-- Jay Beattie.