RR: Semi- Lost on Piestewa Peak (Phoenix)

Old February 18th 05, 05:15 AM
Michael Dart

Default RR: Semi- Lost on Piestewa Peak (Phoenix)

Got off early today and went up to the Dreamy Draw section of Phoenix
Mountains Preserve. I started off intending to ride Trail 100 to the end at
Tatum Blvd. and back. But Trail 220 caught my eye and I started following
it. Up some switch backs and over a rise the trail continued and forked a
couple times ("When you come to a fork in the road... take it!") It became
unnamed (maybe Trail 8) with marker posts with nothing on them. I saw a
trail climbing up the side of the peak and decided to follow it for the
view. It turned out to be 1A again, and by prior experience I knew I was in
for a "technical" ride, but nothing like National Trail on So. Mtn. It went
up and over a ridge on some switchbacks with some of the most beautiful
cribwall work I've ever seen. I topped out on a rock outcropping with a
memorial bench on it and an amazing view. The ride down from there required
quite a bit of hike a bike as it was severely washed out. Now comes the
point where I should've turned back but didn't want to carry the bike up the
stuff I just came down. I was committed to this beautiful valley where the
trail turned to Trail 302. It was an interpretive trail where I learned
about "Teddy Bear cholla" and "Ocotillo" (which was in bloom btw). Trail
302 went up and over a ridge where I saw some "familiar" ramada's below. I
rode/carried my bike down to them only to realize I wasn't anywhere near
Dreamy Draw. I looked it up later and found I was in the Squaw Peak area.
By this time it's after 4pm and threatening rain. The only trail out on
302 was the Summit Trail which is closed to bikes. I wasn't about to go
back so I decided to hit the streets (a very scary proposition in Phoenix
this time on a weekday) I stuck to the neighborhoods and keeping the
mountain to my right I finally came to a dead end with a trail head on it.
It turned out to be 1A again and a short climb over the shoulder of the
mountain I was back in Dreamy Draw again where I had ridden a few weeks ago
with Gee-Dub. So I think I've seen most of the east end of the Phoenix
Mountains Preserve. I'm sure Gary will get a chuckle from this. ;^)

Ocotillo blooms http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885326

"Arizona" poppy's? http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885324

Nice cribwall http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885328

Obligatory "bike leaning on rock" pic
http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885333 ;^)

Mike - I love riding out here.

Old February 18th 05, 05:48 AM
small change

Michael Dart wrote:
[...]

It's so GREEN!!!!!
WOW back at ya!!

Old February 18th 05, 06:08 AM
Slacker

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:15:48 -0700, Michael Dart =

=

[...]

Very nice. I really liked Arizona when I drove thru last year.

Hey, you might as well buy a house while you're there!
-- =

Slacker
Old February 18th 05, 06:09 AM
xyx

Michael Dart wrote in message

Lori Piestewa Peak..named after an Iraq War hero...learn the history and
show some respect

Old February 18th 05, 06:20 AM
G.T.

"Michael Dart" wrote in message

Ocotillo blooms http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885326

"Arizona" poppy's? http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885324

Nice cribwall http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885328

Obligatory "bike leaning on rock" pic
http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885333 ;^)

Mike - I love riding out here.

What a killer time to be there.

GT
--
"destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late,
the battles we fought were long and hard,

Old February 18th 05, 10:14 AM
AndyC

"Michael Dart" wrote in message
Got off early today and went up to the Dreamy Draw section of Phoenix
Mountains Preserve. I started off intending to ride Trail 100 to the end

at
[uber snip]

Ocotillo blooms http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885326

"Arizona" poppy's? http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885324

Nice cribwall http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885328

Obligatory "bike leaning on rock" pic
http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885333 ;^)

Mike - I love riding out here.

You have no idea how jealous I am, being here in the UK where single track
desribes the number of tracks available rather than the type...

*sigh*

AndyC

Old February 18th 05, 12:36 PM
Ride-A-Lot

Michael Dart wrote:
[...]

Damn, I wish there were more comp exec jobs out there!

Still searching!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old February 18th 05, 02:18 PM
GeeDubb

xyx wrote:
Michael Dart wrote in message

Lori Piestewa Peak..named after an Iraq War hero...learn the history
and show some respect

Respect for a company of soldiers (only one singled out to give respect to)
who got lost and paid the price? Renaming was totally political and there
have been many other American Indian soldiers more worthy of giving respect
to. It would have been better received had it been re-named for the Navajo
Code Talkers.

Gary

Old February 18th 05, 02:21 PM
GeeDubb

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

Ocotillo blooms http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885326

"Arizona" poppy's? http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885324

Nice cribwall http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885328

Obligatory "bike leaning on rock" pic
http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885333 ;^)

Mike - I love riding out here.

Damn, I wish there were more comp exec jobs out there!

Still searching!

Lower your expectations, then there are plenty of jobs! You don't have to
live in a $400K house, and there are plenty of low cost housing
opportunities very close the these trails! g

Gary

Old February 18th 05, 02:27 PM
GeeDubb

Michael Dart wrote:
I stuck to the
neighborhoods and keeping the mountain to my right I finally came to
a dead end with a trail head on it. It turned out to be 1A again and
a short climb over the shoulder of the mountain I was back in Dreamy
Draw again where I had ridden a few weeks ago with Gee-Dub. So I
think I've seen most of the east end of the Phoenix Mountains
Preserve. I'm sure Gary will get a chuckle from this. ;^)

Ocotillo blooms http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885326

"Arizona" poppy's? http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885324

Nice cribwall http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885328

Obligatory "bike leaning on rock" pic
http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885333 ;^)

Mike - I love riding out here.

Nice pix and not enhanced to bring out the green either!

I told you there was a near endless supply of ST in this area. Nice back
yard, huh?
I can see the desert burning come July! Shaw Butte (the hill by my house)
hasn't burned for 11 years, it's due.

I've been trying to set up another night ride but the damn weather (and
work) hasn't been cooperating (that and I've been sick for over a week).
Next Wednesday I'm off to Tahoe for 4 days of skiing so won't be able to
ride......bike-ski, bike-ski????

Keep enjoying the green desert while you can. Next time you come I'm sure
it will be back to brown again!

Gary