Source for small part(s)???

Old July 13th 05, 01:34 PM
Bob_M

Default Source for small part(s)???

I hope I have the correct place for this simple question.

Bike: older Ross touring with Shimano 3 speed read hub w/handlebar
shifter.

I need to replace the long knurled adjuster with locking nuts that
connects the shifter cable to the hub lever unit.

Can anyone recommend where I can find this/these parts?

1) on the Internet (which site)?
2) local bike shop?
3) specialty shop?
4) out of luck?

Thanks

Old July 13th 05, 08:40 PM
Mark Janeba

Bob_M wrote:
I hope I have the correct place for this simple question.

Bike: older Ross touring with Shimano 3 speed read hub w/handlebar
shifter.

I need to replace the long knurled adjuster with locking nuts that
connects the shifter cable to the hub lever unit.

Can anyone recommend where I can find this/these parts?

1) on the Internet (which site)?
2) local bike shop?
3) specialty shop?
4) out of luck?

1) http://www.thethirdhand.com/ Now called "loose screws", generally a
good place for this sort of thing, but I didn't check for your
particular part.

2) LBS should be a good source, this is a common part if I understand
your description correctly.

Good luck,

Mark

Old July 14th 05, 01:15 AM
Werehatrack

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:34:16 -0400, Bob_M
wrote:

I hope I have the correct place for this simple question.

Bike: older Ross touring with Shimano 3 speed read hub w/handlebar
shifter.

I need to replace the long knurled adjuster with locking nuts that
connects the shifter cable to the hub lever unit.

Can anyone recommend where I can find this/these parts?

1) on the Internet (which site)?

I didn't come up with one immediately, but I've found them on occasion
before. This is the type of hub that has a lever arrangement on the
end of the axle, right? Shimano has changed the design for their
later version, and I'm not sure if the new-style bellcrank will fit
the older hubs. If it will, the part should be available, but I'd
have no idea about the cost.

2) local bike shop?

Probably a good place to start.

3) specialty shop?

Particularly a shop that has lots of old bikes that they salvage out.
You might also consider shopping for a cheap complete bike with the
needed part from garage sales and thrift stores, if you're not in a
terrible rush to get it. I've paid as little as $5 for 3-speeds
there.

4) out of luck?

It should not be an impossible task.
--