Is this wheel bad?

Old July 14th 05, 01:29 AM
philcycles

Default Is this wheel bad?

Plastique wrote:
Sorry if this is not a real techie question, but I know next to
nothing about bikes.

I was replacing a tire on a wheel, looks aluminum?, On the wheel
is a label that says: WOLBER MODEL 56 Super Champion.

The flat was a small hole on the side of the tube that faces the rim.
So I carefully checked for burrs, etc on the wheel and guess what I
found?

Right in the middle of the label is what looks like a crack, a very
thin line that unlike most cracks is perfectly in on line-the crack
or is it a seam? goes completely across the rim, but I did not check
under the label.

It's a seam. But I would caution against using kevlar bead tires on
this rim. It's a nice rim-I've got a few-but does not have a hook bead.
Wire bead tires are fine.
Phil Brown

105 flange failure pics cashrefundman Techniques 26 November 30th 04 06:37 PM
Wheel building questions big Pete Techniques 2 October 16th 04 08:55 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Wheelbuilding issues Nate Knutson Techniques 13 May 9th 04 03:29 PM