Tires

Old April 1st 18, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Tires

On a bike with 700C tires I am currently running 23mm tires. Some of
the roads in Bangkok are pretty rough and my front fork could take a
25mm tire, but probably not wider, and I'm wondering whether it is
worth the effort to change from 23 to 25mm tires.

Alternately I could go a bit wider on the rear but again I'm wondering
whether that is worth while as the majority of the bumps I feel
through the front wheel and handle bars and the occasional snake bite
flat I get is always on the front.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 1st 18, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/31/2018 8:43 PM, John B. wrote:

On a bike with 700C tires I am currently running 23mm tires. Some of
the roads in Bangkok are pretty rough and my front fork could take a
25mm tire, but probably not wider, and I'm wondering whether it is
worth the effort to change from 23 to 25mm tires.

Alternately I could go a bit wider on the rear but again I'm wondering
whether that is worth while as the majority of the bumps I feel
through the front wheel and handle bars and the occasional snake bite
flat I get is always on the front.

Well, there's some data out there that indicates wider tires give lower
rolling resistance, assuming they're high quality with flexible
sidewalls. I see no reason not to try wider ones when you next replace
tires. Unless perhaps your brakes won't open far enough to clear the
inflated tire.

Our roads are famously rough. We see lots of freeze-thaw cycles, most
cities are cash-strapped, and this county has more miles of county roads
than most. But the state's paving money is the same for every county,
regardless of county road mileage. I never ride narrower than 28s. In
fact, most of my bikes have 32mm tires.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 1st 18, 05:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 07:43:42 +0700, John B wrote:

On a bike with 700C tires I am currently running 23mm tires. Some of
the roads in Bangkok are pretty rough and my front fork could take a
25mm tire, but probably not wider, and I'm wondering whether it is
worth the effort to change from 23 to 25mm tires.

Alternately I could go a bit wider on the rear but again I'm wondering
whether that is worth while as the majority of the bumps I feel
through the front wheel and handle bars and the occasional snake bite
flat I get is always on the front.

My experience is that 23 to 25 mm nets no difference in perceived ride
quality, but a good reduction in pinch flats.

I have one bike with 26 x 1.8s and those are noticeably different than
the 25 mm tires on my old race bike or the 28 mm tires on my randonneur
bike. I would have to be trying very hard to pinch flat the 1.8s. A
hard enough hit to pinch flat would probably throw me from the bike.
With the 23s I could pinch flat on an uneven expansion joint. The 25s
take a good sized pothole at a pretty fair clip.
Old April 1st 18, 06:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Op zondag 1 april 2018 02:43:46 UTC+2 schreef John B.:
On a bike with 700C tires I am currently running 23mm tires. Some of
the roads in Bangkok are pretty rough and my front fork could take a
25mm tire, but probably not wider, and I'm wondering whether it is
worth the effort to change from 23 to 25mm tires.

Alternately I could go a bit wider on the rear but again I'm wondering
whether that is worth while as the majority of the bumps I feel
through the front wheel and handle bars and the occasional snake bite
flat I get is always on the front.

--
Cheers,

John B.

What do you mean by is it worth while? A wider tire is proven to be better except for 20 grams in weight. Wait until your current 23 mm tires wear out and replace them by 25 mm or even 28 mm if that is possible.

Lou
Old April 1st 18, 07:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 21:47:45 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

I'm wondering whether there would be a benefit from a 2 mm width
increase. 23 - 25?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 1st 18, 07:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 23:17:39 -0500, Tim McNamara
wrote:

[...]

I'm fairly adapt at dodging drain grids and uneven expansion joints
but I think when the present tires are worn out I'll try the 25 mm.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 1st 18, 07:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I can't measure up inside the front fender but it looks as though a 28
mm might just fit although it probably would require a different
fender (maybe cut away to clear the fork blades) but it might be worth
the trouble. Most of the roads I ride are, if not smooth, certainly
"rideable" but there are sections that are rough enough to make one
think about getting off and pushing :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.