Trying to find correct size chainring bolts

Old January 31st 11, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Trying to find correct size chainring bolts

"Scratchy" wrote:
One of our bikes has internal gearing (Nexus) and obviously single
chainring
up front... there is a metal chainguard attached to that chainring and I
need to replace the chainring bolts. However... I need bolts which feature
nut (the female part) of length 10mm in order that thickness of the
chainring/crank arm/chainguard is properly covered. Am finding it near to
impossible online to find the ones I need - mostly due to fact that very
few
retailers bother putting dimensions in their descriptions. Any longer than
10mm will be too long and will mean I will not be able to tighten them -
need to be 10mm.

"landotter" wrote
A search for 10mm bolts or double crankset bolts--which is what you
need, turns up numerous options. Google harder.

Scratchy wrote:
...believe me, I have googled plenty hard - I think you

are probably seeing
results for 10mm DIAMETER rather than length. I think I

have found ONE
supplier of what appear to be oversized (13mm total

length) which would
mean, sadly, a millimetre too much by the time you take

off a mm for the
heads of the nut and bolt which sit proud of the each

side of the
chainring..

Standard chainring bolts are m8x1.0 thread in a 10mm
diameter sleeve.
Double ring nuts are 8mm long, the old ATT triple sleeves
are 14mm long.

I believe you are looking for standard 8mm nuts with m8x1
bolts. What crank is it?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old February 1st 11, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

IS THIS WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR ?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-900001/

Old February 8th 11, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 1/26/2011 1:44 PM, kolldata aka AVAGADRO IV/V wrote:
chrome vanadium

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:0&tx=86&ty=59

or a bench grinder

Interesting place to find a picture of a file.

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old February 8th 11, 05:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° wrote:
On 1/26/2011 1:44 PM, kolldata aka AVAGADRO IV/V wrote:
chrome vanadium

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:0&tx=86&ty=59

or a bench grinder

Interesting place to find a picture of a file.

And the annotations were hilarious.