Linear frame failure

Old September 29th 06, 02:18 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Linear frame failure

(Originally posted to the HPV list, but thought there might be some
here that don't subscribe to that)

My 1996 Linear LWB is out of commission, after developing a large crack
in one of the chainstays. Details at my blog:
http://drumbent.blogspot.com/2006/08/bike-broke.html

Being aluminum it is not repairable (well, I'm not going to trust
anybody's welding on it), but since this is a folding bike the rear
section only attaches via quick-releases, so there are options for
ressurection. Just thought I'd pass this along for any current Linear
owners, especially if the bike has been in service for a while. The
crack happened in a high-stress area under the seat, right after the
curved plate that joins the two stays, so I would highly recommend
keeping an eye on this area.

And while I ponder the Linear's fate, I'd still prefer to have a bent
for my long rides, so my brother Mike has offered me the use of his
Infinity (remember that brand?). He bought it before I got my Linear,
so I did spend some time with it in the past. Mike now has a
Streetmachine, and the Infinity has languished for quite some time.
It'll be interesting to ride this last of the factory-built
cable-steered bents...

Mark

blog: http://drumbent.blogspot.com/
website: http://drumbent.com

Old September 29th 06, 05:44 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

wrote:
[...]

What is next; an Avatar 2000 followed by a Mochet Velocar?

Will the current folding Linear parts fit:
http://www.linearrecumbent.com/linear_lwb_folding.htm?

As an aside, late in the last century I stopped at the scenic pullout
[1] in Guttenberg, Iowa. The Guttenberg Chamber of Commerce brochures
available in the tourist info kiosk mentioned that Guttenberg was (at
the time) home to Linear, "The World's Most Comfortable Bicycle".

[1]
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=12&Z=15&X=818&Y=5925&W=2&qs=%7cgu ttenberg%7ciowa.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Old September 29th 06, 08:10 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Bill Patterson

I have a chain stay hanging in the garage. Want It?
wrote:
[...]

Some thoughts on Apache helicopter avionics
http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patter...opterthoughts/
http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patter...ghts/id17.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patter...ghts/id16.html

See bikes and the first human powered helicopter at:
http://www.calpoly.edu/~wpatters/
Single Track controls at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/

Reply to

Old October 4th 06, 05:43 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Bill Patterson wrote:
I have a chain stay hanging in the garage. Want It?

Hi Bill,

I would be honoured to receive that, since I imagine it's from your
famous Linear test-bed machine! I've acualy been toying with having a
friend make a version of the rear suspension you came up with for the
Linear, but that might take a while. I'll email you off-list...

Thanks,
Mark