HOW DO YOU AFFORD THIS SPORT???

Old November 1st 04, 02:38 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

You're dreaming. Bikes are a lot cheaper than motorcycles, and the
equipment is also cheaper. Besides, motorcycles don't help you get fit.

Or, if you race motorcycles, you just might be buying a nice bike to train
on so you're in shape. A friend of mine from the way-back days used to be a
hot-shot dirt biker, and when he semi-retired, he trained others. He was
bringing many of them in for road bikes, which he thought was the
best-possible training for them.

You don't get fit racing motorcycles, but it helps greatly if you're in good
shape.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old November 1st 04, 03:06 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message ...
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 19:55:39 -0500, ,
"Emily" wrote:

Simple answer...hardly ever go out to eat, avoid the mall at all cost, drive
a cheap car, don't spend money on fancy electronic gear, etc. It's really
all a matter of priorities. My bikes (and my health) simply matter to me
more than some frills that many of my peers seem to consider necessities.

I recently met a young woman who was delighted to be among people who
didn't think her odd to own a welder. She builds her own bikes.
--

I've worked at places that had female welders, but they all
get over-muscled after doing manual labour jobs, not something

Anyway, I'm about to spend $1200 on a Espresso machine and
$450 on a burr grinder.

Guess who's going to be drinking better coffee than you.

Old November 1st 04, 03:21 AM
Tom Keats

In article vKhhd.76827$nl.49215@pd7tw3no,
"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" writes:

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message ...
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 19:55:39 -0500, ,
"Emily" wrote:

Simple answer...hardly ever go out to eat, avoid the mall at all cost, drive
a cheap car, don't spend money on fancy electronic gear, etc. It's really
all a matter of priorities. My bikes (and my health) simply matter to me
more than some frills that many of my peers seem to consider necessities.

I recently met a young woman who was delighted to be among people who
didn't think her odd to own a welder. She builds her own bikes.
--

I've worked at places that had female welders, but they all
get over-muscled after doing manual labour jobs, not something
you would want seen sitting in your car with you.

Anyway, I'm about to spend $1200 on a Espresso machine and
$450 on a burr grinder.

Guess who's going to be drinking better coffee than you.

Jeez, Fabs -- espresso isn't something you make for yourself.
It's something you pay someone to make /for/ you. You don't
need no f*ggin' steam engine with a brass eagle on it, unless
you're going into business.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old November 1st 04, 03:45 AM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

Anyway, I'm about to spend $1200 on a Espresso machine and
$450 on a burr grinder.

Guess who's going to be drinking better coffee than you.

You're going to de-burr each bean one at a time?!?

Bill "when the hell will you train?" S.

Old November 1st 04, 04:10 AM
the black rose

Matt O'Toole wrote:
Maggie wrote:

I just arrived home from a Bike store. How in the world do people
afford to ride bikes. The rubber suits cost a fortune. The prices on
some of the bicycles were ridiculous and I walked out of there in a
daze. I never in my life saw so much "STUFF" to ride a bike. I did
buy a new seat for my bike. It was reasonable I guess. I guess you
have to be quite well off to take up the sport of cycling. My sons
skydive and snowboard and also ride motorcycles....I don't think they
spend half as much money as it would cost to become an avid cyclist.

--snippity--
I know this was probably a troll, but it's a point that should be made.

Nah, she's not a troll. Just new around here. Very new to
cycling.

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester

proud to be owned by a yorkie
Old November 1st 04, 04:47 AM
RWM

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
You're dreaming. Bikes are a lot cheaper than motorcycles, and the
equipment is also cheaper. Besides, motorcycles don't help you get fit.

Or, if you race motorcycles, you just might be buying a nice bike to train
on so you're in shape. A friend of mine from the way-back days used to be
a hot-shot dirt biker, and when he semi-retired, he trained others. He was
bringing many of them in for road bikes, which he thought was the
best-possible training for them.

You don't get fit racing motorcycles, but it helps greatly if you're in
good shape.

Most of the MX riders I know ride road and mountain bikes to get in shape.
A 40 minute moto is incredibly taxing, and the winter SuperCross circuit
travels with a workout trailer.

Old November 1st 04, 05:47 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

"Tom Keats" wrote in message ...
Jeez, Fabs -- espresso isn't something you make for yourself.
It's something you pay someone to make /for/ you. You don't
need no f*ggin' steam engine with a brass eagle on it, unless
you're going into business.

I guess no one told Paolo Bettini and Giuseppe Guerini that.

Besides, you guys haven't any really good Baristas working
over here. When was the last time your Barista got the Coda di
topo right for you?

I insist on having my expresso extraction done by the progressive
preinfusion process with a commercial E61 grouphead on a good
Italian machine.

Today I ordered a espresso and asked for it to be Ristretto, but the
Barista did a stalled pull and over ran it by 3 seconds.

Old November 1st 04, 06:25 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

"B i l l S o r n s o n" wrote in message ...
Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

Anyway, I'm about to spend $1200 on a Espresso machine and
$450 on a burr grinder.

Guess who's going to be drinking better coffee than you.

You're going to de-burr each bean one at a time?!?

No, I'm talking about good coffee grinder like the Solis Maestro Plus,
not some damn blade grinder pretending to be a coffee grinder.