steep hill descent

Old July 13th 05, 02:13 AM
leeman180

Default steep hill descent

Hey briguymaine,

(threadjack) I'm from Maine too, whereabouts do you live? Im in
Camden/Rockport area.

Lee

--
leeman180 - i should be out riding

'My Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Lees-Uni-Stuff) - last
updated 5/20/05
leeman180's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8441

Old July 13th 05, 02:37 AM
gerblefranklin

Am I the only one who follows the philosopy of "If you can't ride
something steep by pedalling, then don't pedal."?

All the *super* steep thigs I've ridden have been on loose gravel or
dust and pebbles (sharp ones). Rather than spinning my a$$ off trying to
keep up with gravity, I just stop the wheel and skid when things feel
right. The ability to control one's skid is an important muni skil, IMO.
Then again, maybe I just suck at muni and what I consider steep is
nothing. Also, a controlled skid is useless in a place like slickrock,
since it's damn near impossible to lose traction on that stuff.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

Old July 13th 05, 02:40 AM
THE dave

skid skid skid, if you wash out when you try to pedal, hold your break
and lean just back of balanced. if you feel the wheel catch, let up on
the break just tiny bit. like forest said, keep your feet on the
pedals... if you get frustrated, just try to gap the steep part
might not work... but thats okay... crashing is great
good luck

--
THE dave - Telemark Master

Toast
dave

My nimbus is brokish...
MUni 4 Life
psychoteledave2(at)hotmail(dot)com
THE dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9259

Old July 13th 05, 02:56 AM
vivalargo

We need video clips of what everyone is driving at so things could be
made clear.

JL

--
vivalargo - Santa Barbara Unicycle Club
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

Old July 13th 05, 04:17 AM
forrestunifreak

gerblefranklin wrote:
*Am I the only one who follows the philosopy of "If you can't ride
something steep by pedalling, then don't pedal."?

All the *super* steep thigs I've ridden have been on loose gravel or
dust and pebbles (sharp ones). Rather than spinning my a$$ off trying
to keep up with gravity, I just stop the wheel and skid when things
feel right. The ability to control one's skid is an important muni
skil, IMO. Then again, maybe I just suck at muni and what I consider
steep is nothing. Also, a controlled skid is useless in a place like
slickrock, since it's damn near impossible to lose traction on that
stuff. *

I do that, and was thinking of a good way to say tyhat. Steepest hill
I've done was in deep gravel.

also Like the dave said. Little controlled hops down the steepest part
can help.

--
forrestunifreak - The buck stops here.

warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.

it has been known to the state of california to cause warts, toe jam,
ring-around-the-collar, compulsive twitching, and in some severe cases,
diaper rash.
it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pshycological nudity, and
traces of peanuts.

Team YAMS member.....

Old July 13th 05, 04:46 AM
briguymaine

forrestunifreak wrote:
*Ditto on the 'The key is to see the success in your mind first.'
Thats important.

Also, pull on the handle, as if your pulling yourself down on the
pedals. Forget about the hill and speeds and techniques, and just
concentrate on staying on the pedals. *

It's funny you say that because many many times, I'll drop into the
first few feet and feel pretty good and then the thought, "hey, I'm
gonna make it" flashes through my head and then it seems to fall apart!
The other day I walked out to the hill to show my wife what this hill is
that I am always talking about (she was impressed!). I stood at the top
looked down and instantly thought what is so hard about this.

I'm pretty sure I am pedalling slow and consistent but I'm not positive.
I've only been riding muni since May so things still seem to happen
quickly. It's frustrating but I'll get this thing done and I'm having a
blast trying.

--
briguymaine

Life is like a box of chocolates? I hate chocolate.
'My blog is at www.munitard.com' (http://www.munitard.com)
briguymaine's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9257

Old August 10th 05, 02:40 PM
briguymaine

I made it! Finally, after months of trying. Thanks to all for your
helpful suggestions, I think I wound up incorporating almost all of them
into my technique.

About a week ago I felt like I was finally one with my uni, a feeling I
have had with my bike since childhood. This morning I just focused on
staying centered over the wheel. It all just clicked, everything slowed
down to the point where I could feel everything and recognise what was
happening and adjust accordingly.

What a relief! I am so psyched!!!!!!

Old August 10th 05, 10:06 PM
unigamer

Well Done!

It almost makes it worth it that you couldn't do it in the first place
just for the satisfaction of beating it now. The only problem is that
the euphoria will disappear as soon as you find another harder hill.

--
unigamer - http://www.nbog.co.uk

'Unigamer's Site' (http://nbog.co.uk)

'Unigamer's Album' (http://nbog.co.uk/album/index.php)