Which pedals for muni?

Old February 27th 07, 03:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

Default Which pedals for muni?

MuniAddict wrote:
That's right. Although since re-crimping the c-clip on the end of the
spindle, it hasn't come apart since, but it's still bothers me that it
could happen again at the least opportune moment! So those
drilliums have even more foot area and are also very thin, but the
spindle is stronger and there are 3 pecision bearings per pedal (1
needle & 2 cartridge) instead of bushings. Plus Vivalargo swears by 'em
and that's good enough for me!

I had skipped over that thread (sorry). I no longer read every thread
on the forum and skip over most of them. A search found the thread and
the video.

That seems odd for the C-clip to pop off like that. They generally
hold pretty well. They can even be a little bit tricky to remove. I
wouldn't expect one to slip off. Do you have special C-clip pliers to
install and remove them?

Perhaps the C-clip was damaged when overhauling the pedals. Or maybe
it wasn't installed all the way. C-clips are standard and cheap.
Might be a good idea to keep extras on hand and just replace them every
time you do an overhaul. I'll pick up extras in the correct size for
my Aircorps.

The C-clip is also very close to the bottom of your shoe. It is
possible that the sole of your shoe pushed the C-clip off. Seems
unlikely though unless the C-clip was weakened or not fully set.

I'm still wary of the Drillium pedals due to the needle bearings. I
don't trust needle bearings in a muni pedal. But if Vivalargo and
others are able to abuse them without problems I'll change my mind.
Someone is going to have to abuse the Drillium pedals in a wet
environment to see how the needle bearings hold up to water, mud and
snow abuse. Everything else about the Drillium pedals looks very solid
except for the needle bearings.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Old February 27th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicorn

Those speedplay pedals do look sharp but once again you have those allen
screws that get filled with rock adn mud and get bent. It is then a
Bi*** to get them out the allen wrench won't fit in. Those Shinburgers
looks strong and grippy but $99 is a lot of money.

Unicorn

--
Unicorn

Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will
accomplish great feats!
Unicorn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12801

Old February 27th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
vivalargo

John is right - I haven't run the Drilliums (SP??) in wet conditions, so
don't know if the needle bearings will hold up. So far, Hans (who also
runs them) and I have had no problem with them on dry land, save that
they're too expensive (115 bucks).

JL

--
vivalargo