Cane Creek Thudbuster

Old February 26th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
bawls44

Default Cane Creek Thudbuster

What do you guys think about the insane supension seat post offered on
unicycle.com with a 3'' travel:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=273

Looks pretty cool for mountain biking, but has anyone actually used it
on their unicycle? How do you guys think it would work for Muni?

--
bawls44
bawls44's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14427

Old February 27th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

It works great. You just have to be tall enough to fit the post. Unlike
most telescoping suspension post designs, this one is actually shorter.
You can't cut down the telescoping ones because the mechanism runs all
the way to the bottom. This one is actually better in that respect.

I have an older Thudbuster post, the Uni-Pivot, on my Carbon MUni.
Unfortunately they don't make that one anymore.

I'll just add this before someone else has to bring it up -- suspension
posts are only useful for seated riding. Of course lots of the hard
stuff is done standing up. But suspension is great for those long rides
where the terrain is bumpy, but doesn't require standing.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view

Old February 27th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

The 3" post requires 144 mm of clearance. Their 2" post requires only
98 mm. of clearance if that's an issue.

johnfoss wrote:
I'll just add this before someone else has to bring it up -- suspension
posts are only useful for seated riding. Of course lots of the hard
stuff is done standing up. But suspension is great for those long rides
where the terrain is bumpy, but doesn't require standing.

It seems those who ride technical muni don't like these posts for drops
and bib bumps.

Why?

Couldn't you just land on the seat more instead of the pedals? I
realize pedaling out of it imediately after a drop could be difficult
do to an effectively lower seat hieght. Is this why?

I did this when I got my air saddle and worked great. Changing my
technique when switching to a uni w/o the air saddle is difficult
though.

Edit: here is thier site:http://www.thudbuster.com/products.html
3" 565-585 grams
2" 440-460 grams

--
skilewis74

Old February 27th 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
bawls44

johnfoss wrote:
It works great. You just have to be tall enough to fit the post. Unlike
most telescoping suspension post designs, this one is actually shorter.
You can't cut down the telescoping ones because the mechanism runs all
the way to the bottom. This one is actually better in that respect.

I have an older Thudbuster post, the Uni-Pivot, on my Carbon MUni.
Unfortunately they don't make that one anymore.

I'll just add this before someone else has to bring it up -- suspension
posts are only useful for seated riding. Of course lots of the hard
stuff is done standing up. But suspension is great for those long rides
where the terrain is bumpy, but doesn't require standing.

sounds pretty good, im about 5' 11'' to 6' so i think it would work for
me. I will probally be buying one for my MUni sometime in the near
future. Thank you.

Old February 27th 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

skilewis74 wrote:
Couldn't you just land on the seat more instead of the pedals? I
realize pedaling out of it imediately after a drop could be difficult
do to an effectively lower seat hieght. Is this why?

Three main downsides for very technical riding that I can think of
- It's even harder to get the seat low enough for trialsy riding
- Suspension post makes the unicycle heavier
- lots of pulling up on the seat may damage or break the mechanism

That's why a suspension post is less useful for serious hardcore
hopping around than it is for cruising and rolling. They could also be
very nice for road riding, but the other thing to consider is bounce.
If you hit a big bump while seated, the post will compress then spring
back up. If this happens with your pedal at the bottom of the stroke it
can bounce your foot right off. I know this from experience on the
Downieville trail...

Old February 27th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
bawls44

johnfoss wrote:
Three main downsides for very technical riding that I can think of
- It's even harder to get the seat low enough for trialsy riding
- Suspension post makes the unicycle heavier
- lots of pulling up on the seat may damage or break the mechanism

That's why a suspension post is less useful for serious hardcore
hopping around than it is for cruising and rolling. They could also be
very nice for road riding, but the other thing to consider is bounce.
If you hit a big bump while seated, the post will compress then spring
back up. If this happens with your pedal at the bottom of the stroke it
can bounce your foot right off. I know this from experience on the
Downieville trail...

Yes, I was considering the possibility of putting one on a coker and
have a more comfortable ride when really "going the distance". It seems
like weight doesn't matter as much as MUni or trials riding, and your
not hopping around much at all. I used to road bike alot, and Ive heard
many good things from people that ride with suspension type seat posts
and setups. Now I believe the post would be much more useful for
distance uni riding then anything else.

--
bawls44
bawls44's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14427

Cane Creek Thudbuster Suspension Seatpost – Review Elisa Francesca Roselli General 7 August 22nd 06 08:24 PM
Cane Creek Thudbuster Suspension Seatpost – Review Elisa Francesca Roselli UK 2 August 15th 06 04:08 AM
Cane Creek V-Brakes Noel UK 18 June 3rd 06 12:41 PM
Cane Creek ZST T1000 UK 2 February 26th 04 12:17 AM
Cane Creek headset Mark U. Techniques 13 November 25th 03 09:20 PM