Top tip for CTC run

Old March 3rd 08, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

Default Top tip for CTC run

When locking your bike up, paticularly when locking it to someone elses,
check you've brought the *right* bike lock key with you! Fortunately a
file sliced through it quickly.
Old March 3rd 08, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 3 Mar, 09:26, Mark T
pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_ reply*.com.invalid
wrote:
When locking your bike up, paticularly when locking it to someone elses, *
check you've brought the *right* bike lock key with you! *Fortunately a
file sliced through it quickly.

Always store and carry locks locked up so when you use them you must
unlock them first thus proving you have the key and it works.
Old March 3rd 08, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

check you've brought the *right* bike lock key with you! *Fortunately
a file sliced through it quickly.

Always store and carry locks locked up so when you use them you must
unlock them first thus proving you have the key and it works.

You'd have thought that getting key out of pocket, looking at it and going
"yep, that's the right one" would have done the trick. Unfortunately I'm
an idiot.

Thankfully all my other locks have to be unlocked before you can use them,
so no chance of it happening again.
Old March 3rd 08, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall

wrote:
When locking your bike up, paticularly when locking it to someone elses, *
check you've brought the *right* bike lock key with you! *Fortunately a
file sliced through it quickly.

Always store and carry locks locked up so when you use them you must
unlock them first thus proving you have the key and it works.

Alternatively, pass the lock around the fence that you're locking the
bike to, but not round the bike itself.

looks at feet, shuffles off

--

Tim

I understand very little of what's being discussed
but for some reason it's fascinating.

(Jon Thompson, urs)
Old March 3rd 08, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steve Watkin

Hey Mark,

If all it took was a little file perhaps you could share the make and model
of this "lock" so that we can all avoid buying one !!

"Mark T"
pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_ reply*.com.invalid wrote
in message ...

Old March 3rd 08, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

Steve Watkin writtificated

If all it took was a little file perhaps you could share the make and
model of this "lock" so that we can all avoid buying one !!

It was a thin cable lock that I use when locking the bike in view, or if
popping into a newsagents etc. Cable+outer was about 8mm in diameter, the
metal cable itself was about 5mm in diameter. I've got a D-lock and an
abus bordo 75 as a proper lock.
Old March 3rd 08, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Trevor A Panther[_2_]

wrote in message ...
Steve Watkin writtificated

If all it took was a little file perhaps you could share the make and
model of this "lock" so that we can all avoid buying one !!

It was a thin cable lock that I use when locking the bike in view, or if
popping into a newsagents etc. Cable+outer was about 8mm in diameter, the
metal cable itself was about 5mm in diameter. I've got a D-lock and an
abus bordo 75 as a proper lock.

but I expect it is to heavy to carry around with you!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Old March 7th 08, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

POHB wrote:

Always store and carry locks locked up so when you use them you must
unlock them first thus proving you have the key and it works.

Aye.

;; have mercy on the slender grass
Old March 17th 08, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Clayton

Just before I joined our local (Calder Clarion) club something like this
happened.
It wasn't noticed until the pub "tipped out" and someone's lady wife had to
come out with a van and fling a bunch of (perhaps three) siamesed bikes into
the back.
The moral is, I'm told - never allow Bob to lock your bike up for you.

John