Is this a good deal?

Old June 24th 08, 12:51 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Travis[_2_]

Default Is this a good deal?

$600 for:

2002 Rans Tailwind recumbent (1500 miles claimed).

Sportworks bike rack designed to fit a 1.25 inch trailer hitch.

Haven't inspected condition yet but for argument's sake let's assume is
is in good to excellent condition.

Is this a reasonable price?

Also:
Bike is intended as a recumbent experiment. 5'4" long legged wife
and/or 5'9" son will ride it. Will the fit be okay?

Thanks,
Travis
Old June 24th 08, 02:38 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Travis" wrote in message
$600 for:

2002 Rans Tailwind recumbent (1500 miles claimed).

Sportworks bike rack designed to fit a 1.25 inch trailer hitch.

Haven't inspected condition yet but for argument's sake let's assume is is
in good to excellent condition.

Is this a reasonable price?

Also:
Bike is intended as a recumbent experiment. 5'4" long legged wife and/or
5'9" son will ride it. Will the fit be okay?

Thanks,
Travis

I think one should not pay more then 50% of what something cost new if it
has been used. So $600 is in the ball park, but $500 would be better. The
Tailwind will fit a shorter person just fine. It is not such a good fit for
a tall person (over 6').

By the way I have always liked the Tailwind. It is a comfy bike ands handles
well. The crank slightly below the seat is right where the crank on a
recumbent should be for ultimate power to the pedal.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old June 24th 08, 12:33 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon[_2_]

"Travis" wrote

$600 for:

2002 Rans Tailwind recumbent (1500 miles claimed).

Ping resident RANS answer man, Tom Sherman.

Sportworks bike rack designed to fit a 1.25 inch trailer hitch.

Haven't inspected condition yet but for argument's sake let's assume is is
in good to excellent condition.

Is this a reasonable price?

I don't see any current comparables in a quick web search.
I seem to recall the MSRP for Tailwind was in the $900
range. So $600 might be a bit high for the bike alone.
But the $600 price is probably reasonable for both bike
and rack ($450/$150). If there are extras, such as
cyclometer, clipless pedals, bag, spare tires, etc... so
much the better.

The bike is worth what someone will pay for it, of course.
The Tailwind is a good entry-level recumbent and possibly
great as a commuter bike. But I doubt the demand for
Tailwinds is particularly high. So reselling the bike if it
doesn't work out for you may take some time.

Bike is intended as a recumbent experiment. 5'4" long legged wife and/or
5'9" son will ride it. Will the fit be okay?

Likely so. The Tailwind came/comes in only one size and
has a pretty wide adjustment range:

http://www.ransbikes.com/XSeam.htm
TAILWIND:32" TO 45"

Jon

Old June 24th 08, 01:04 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Travis[_2_]

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your timely response. My response to the seller (2nd day of
ad) however was not as timely as someone beat me to the purchase. C'est
la bicyclette.

Thanks again,
Travis

Old June 28th 08, 05:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jon Meinecke wrote:
"Travis" wrote
$600 for:

2002 Rans Tailwind recumbent (1500 miles claimed).

Ping resident RANS answer man, Tom Sherman.

What do I know? Oh, this
http://www.ransbikes.com/Gallery/Archive/Sherman.htm.

Sportworks bike rack designed to fit a 1.25 inch trailer hitch.

Haven't inspected condition yet but for argument's sake let's assume is is
in good to excellent condition.

Is this a reasonable price?

[...]

For the sake of future reference, not an unreasonable price if the bike
and rack are in very good condition.

Old June 28th 08, 05:52 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Jon" wrote in message
[...]
The bike is worth what someone will pay for it, of course.
The Tailwind is a good entry-level recumbent and possibly
great as a commuter bike. But I doubt the demand for
Tailwinds is particularly high. So reselling the bike if it
doesn't work out for you may take some time.

The Tailwind is in no way an entry-level recumbent, although I would say
that Jon's Bike E is such a bike since you can never get comfortable on it.

Paging Bob Cardone:
http://www.ransbikes.com/Gallery/Archive/Cordone.htm,
http://www.pianoatlanta.com/!

Good Deal? NYC XYZ Techniques 18 January 26th 06 06:35 PM
Good Deal? NYC XYZ Recumbent Biking 18 January 26th 06 06:35 PM
Comments on a good deal and good transaction Brian Walker Marketplace 0 September 23rd 05 02:25 AM
Is this a a good deal? Simon Mason UK 9 March 3rd 04 09:42 AM
GT zaskar LE '96 good deal? Mukti Mountain Biking 4 August 13th 03 02:47 PM