It's all relative...

Old June 29th 04, 08:22 PM
JJuggle

Default It's all relative...

I am reading One Wheel - Many Spokes by Lars Clausen and in light of
this, Patrick Thomas' in progress ride across the US, and talk of other
tours that have taken place and are planned, I'm experiencing an
interesting psychological phenomenon.

Rides like the Minnesota ride of a few years ago or that guy who rode
across Oklahoma just don't seem that impressive. I have never ridden
more than 5 miles without a dismount or more than 20 miles in a day, yet
I just have the feeling that riding the length of New Jersey wouldn't be
that taxing.

In the course of 4 or 5 pages Lars goes from South Dakota to North
Dakota and then into Minnesota. How hard could it possibly be to shoot
down to Maryland from the NYC vicinity?

I feel positively impervious to saddle soreness, fatigue, achy knees,
and the like.

Now where did I put that Twinkie?

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Beware of the devil my child. Beware of his charming ways.
You'll fall under an evil spell just looking at his beautiful face.
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old June 29th 04, 08:50 PM
johnfoss

Good handlebars make a big difference in saddle comfort. Just as a road
bicyclist has approximately 40% of their weight on the handlebars, the
more we can get off our crotches the better for us as well. Even better
than for the bicyclists, as we pedal faster and we generate more crotch
friction.

Ultramarathon riders like Lars and Wally Watts are truly inspirational.
Their legs get to be like tree trunks, and they can go all day. But
Unicycle Across Minnesota was amazing in its own right. When have that
many people all done such a long unicycle ride together? To do it with
such a big group is very significant in itself.

We learned much from that group. We learned that a big group *can* do a
long ride together, and we learned what kinds of pitfalls and problems
they would encounter.

Yes, you should cruise up to NYC sometime. Don't forget to train up
first though....

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Beer me." -- Scot Cooper, at the end of a group ride all the way up and
all the way down Mt. Diablo (3300'), a 20 mile round trip of road and
trail.

Old June 29th 04, 08:57 PM
bugman

johnfoss wrote:
*
Yes, you should cruise up to NYC sometime. Don't forget to train up
first though.... *

Yea, take the train and a dozen dunkin donuts.

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

Old June 29th 04, 09:08 PM
U-Turn

JJuggle wrote:
*I feel positively impervious to saddle soreness... Now where did I
leave that other Twinkie?
*

If you inspect your saddle, you'll probably find that all the cream has
oozed out of that "other" Twinkie that you used for saddle padding. Air
tubes may be less comfortable, but they last longer.

--
U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton