I guess that makes three things the guy's done right.

Old August 18th 05, 05:18 PM
Bill Sornson

Default I guess that makes three things the guy's done right.

BB wrote:
On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:30:57 GMT, Bill Sornson wrote:

The noble cause is millions (MILLIONS) of people freed from
oppression and tyranny.

Ummm...wasn't the war supposed to be removal of WMD?

http://www.yourcongress.com/ViewArti...rticle_id=2686

Old August 18th 05, 05:31 PM
cc

"MTBlood" wrote in message

" nope...can't stand hippies...

you can stop proving you're ignorant now. go back to watching television.

Wow...what a great comeback! I'm disappointed...I thought my ignorant ass
would be awed with your infinite wisdom...

There's no point in arguing with you. You have too much at stake to change
your views and are clearly thoroughly washed.

This is a mountain bike newsgroup..take your anti-war, anti-American ****
where it belongs. I made great sacrifices for this country and I did so
with my head high and with honor that can only be bestowed upon a U.S.
service member. Your statements are a disrespect to every man and women
in uniform.

I'm not disrespecting you, but your leaders.

It's simply easy to judge and have opinions from the comfort of your living
room being influenced by what the media wants you to believe.

This is the point. Can't you see you're the pawn?

Put your boots
on the ground, dodge a few bullets, and see the progress made by your
efforts and then come back with your story. Only then will I listen to
your ramblings....

I didn't ask you to listen. Besides, it would be one thing if I was
**promoting** war. Then asking me to understand firsthand what you are going
through on the front line. You should ask this of Bush -- or of any public
officer for that matter. What I promote is exactly the opposite. So if you'd
like me to take some time out to realize what it would be like to come home
to my family before I talk to you about that, that might make a little more
sense.

Old August 18th 05, 05:51 PM
G.T.

"JD" wrote in message
ups.com...

If our armed forces are a purely volunteer force, why did Casey
volunteer for what some may deem a terribe cause?

Many volunteer because of economics and because they believe in our country
in general, not because they believe in this war.

Does that make those
who have volunteered to serve in our armed forces supporters of what
you see as a terrible cause?

Not at all.

Greg

Old August 18th 05, 06:20 PM

Bill Sornson wrote:
wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:
cc wrote:

He sees no difference between "the SS" and US soldiers, so whatever
he writes has zero credibility or weight.

You bias is hanging out; don't trip on it!

Same for you - he didn't say they were the same.

He was drawing a parallel. And the parallel he drew (and not the one
you are assigning) is apt.

Just because someone thinks they are doing the right thing doesn't
mean they actually are doing the right thing.

OK. So gassing jews in chambers if you /think/ it's the right thing to do
is equivalent to serving in the armed forces in Iraq right now. Wow.

Boy, you're not too clear on the concept of *logic*, are you? The only
one *equating* those things is *you*, Bill. Drawing a parallel on a
line of thinking is not making a equation on actions.

Engage your brain for a second.

In Salem, MA, in the 17th century, some town leaders thought they were
doing God's will when they executed some young women who were likely
the victims of grain fungus poisoning. *Thinking* you are doing the
right thing is not the same thing as *doing* the right thing.

Don't let your bias make you lose sight of the real argument.

You mean like far-lefties who actively root against the US now because
they're still ****ed about the 2000 election. Gotcha. I won't.

I don't recall any of those folks making any of those kinds of claims
here.

Sounds like you're making it up to divert the conversation.

E.P.

Old August 18th 05, 06:29 PM

Bill Sornson wrote:
wrote:

I expect barbarians to do barbaric acts. I do not expect Americans to
do barbaric acts. That is why we are different from them. And
better.

Man, if a pro-Bushie wrote that last part, he or she would be attacked
big-time.

It depends on how it's approached, I guess. The "rah-rah patriots" who
just spout jingoistic BS have some derision coming. But evil is evil.
And chopping off a helpless prisoner's head while wearing a mask is
cowardly and evil.

And I ain't no pro-bushie. Or really anti, for that matter.

Their conduct is not the yardstick by which we measure behavior - our
*principles* are the yardstick by which we measure behavior. And when
we violate our own principles, we need to call those who do it on the
carpet.

We do. And did.

Sort of. I still hear people refer to those things as "school
hijinks," and "necessary evil."

Evil is evil. It's never necessary, to the principled.

And keep in mind one thing: the worst of what we do to our prisoners
is the *best* that can be expected if our boys/girls ever get taken
prisoner. So we'd better make sure our worst is principled. Since I
have family members on the ground over there, this is personal for me.

Agreed. And best wishes to them.

Thanks.

(I bet a lot of prisoners now at Gitmo /really/ don't want to be sent back
to their COOs like's being discussed.)

It's no feather bed down there. A gilded cage is still a cage, and if
the folks there didn't do anything wrong, cut them loose. Principled,
rule-of-law sort of thinking there. If they want asylum, let them ask.

E.P.

Old August 18th 05, 06:53 PM
cc

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
Mark Hickey wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Bill Sornson wrote:
cc wrote:

That's all anyone needs to see or hear. Comparing Hitler's Nazi
Jew-killing thugs to Coalition forces in Iraq.

No wonder you post anonymously...

Compare them to what you wish. Latest news is that the abuse of
prisoners is more widespread than we thought, Abu Graib being just
one example. This is not acceptable. Where is the outrage?

I see plenty of indignation over any legitimate abuse that occurred at
AG. Heck, it was front page on the New York Times for weeks.
Fortunately, those who are responsible are being punished
appropriately - that's how our system works. I should point out that
the tapes showing Saddam's regime's treatment of prisoners would make
being stacked naked look like a picnic.

OTOH, we have terrorists sawing the heads off hostages, others blowing
up women and children... which doesn't seem to produce a whit of
outrage among those complaining the loudest about AG.

Why do you suppose some are searching so dilligently for any misstep
by the US, and shouting anything they find from the highest rooftop -
all while giving a pass to those who kill innocents by the dozen?

Are you kidding me ?!!!

How about when WE kill innocents - e.g. Iraqi civilians - by the dozen?
Covered? No.

The groundless detention and mistreatment of foreign nationals (who are
quite often free to go when they are *finally* returned to their homeland)
at Guantanamo? Hardly.

The displacement of millions of Palestinians with the use of US funds? Funny
how in the media the Israelis are the poor displaced ones, isn't it? Not
really. Israel is the biggest recipient of foreign aid in the world, thanks
to us.

The list really goes on and on. If you think the media is biased left, you
should look again. Or try reading.

Two words: media bias.

Bill "left out 'blatant'" S.

Are you living on some other planet?