Hitting your head

Old January 19th 20, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Hitting your head

On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 14:41:27 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 1/18/2020 11:26 PM, news18 wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 09:50:19 -0800, sms wrote:

There are some "improvements" that just are not. When we purchased
current place, we had to change real estate agents a number of times
as they just would not take the instruction that we did NOT want a
swimming pool, jackuzi, sauna, etc, etc.

We really didn't want a pool. But a lot of houses in our city had had
pools added at some point. Many people just removed them. Even though
pool removal is costly, around $10,000 to $15,000, that is not a
significant amount on a house in this area. We kept our pool. I wanted
to take it out. My wife likes it. I maintain it. It is costly to
maintain mainly because of the electricity cost for the pump, but with
our solar panels our electricity usage from the grid is minimal (well
other than the $18K to install all those solar panels). It doesn't
require much water to offset evaporation, but doing an empty/refill
every 5 to 6 years is very costly.

These days I'd just say "aquaponics" and look at one of those floating
vegetables above a big fish pond type of thing.

We've moved past the compulsory fencing stage here, so we wouldn't have
that cost.

"moved past the compulsory fencing stage"? Does that mean you no longer
need fences around pools?

If so, that amazes me. Safety Inflation is so dominant in westernized
societies, it seems very rare for any "safety" regulation to be removed.

It is not removed, it is just impossible now to transfer title of a place
with out the pool fencing already in place.

The funniest thing I've ever encontered was a few years back was our
local council, the roads,rates and rats mob, decided to launch a campaign
to ensure everyone who had a backyard pool had the require compulsory
fencing. so they ordered a complete set of the regular aerial photgraphs
that normally come in 8"x8" but blown up to about 3'x3' so their staff
coud manually look at each photograph and decide if the required fencing
was there.

I say "fencing" and not "pool fencing" as a eigbouur met the requirement
by fencing off their back yard from their house. Useless in a time when
kids cross the fence as easiy as come in the front yard.

Anyway,I couldn't have been the only one who pointed out to them that
they could have easily achieved the same job by obtaining a large screen
CRT/flat and using the the originals in their GIS (geographic information
system). Our lot are not too btight it seems.

Old January 19th 20, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/19/2020 5:40 PM, news18 wrote:
[...]

A naive man might assume no relationship between the vendor
of expensive photoprints and the government employee who
decided they were necessary.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 20th 20, 04:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 17:45:39 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

I made no such assumption, but they never got to repeat that trick.

Old January 20th 20, 08:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 17.01.2020 um 22:29 schrieb jbeattie:
On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 7:38:45 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 1/16/2020 11:17 AM, Duane wrote:

snip

Do you have hipsters in PDX?Â* They're all over the mountain here.Â* Doing
wheelies down the mountain on fixies while texting their buddies and
grooving to their ear buds.Â* I started handing out cards telling them
the cheap wine is free in Ohio.

Not going to work. Trader Joe's lowered the price of "Two Buck Chuck"
back to $2.

Free is better than $2, and Ohio has other inducements. They're basically giving houses away. Go to Redfin and look at Youngstown. https://www.redfin.com/OH/Youngstown.../home/71983689 Ay chihuahua! A hipster could buy a house there and fill it with wine.

I can remember similar "house for fixer upper" offers from France:
Chateau with several square miles of land for 1FF.

Only side condition: new owner must renovate roof according to "listed
building" status at a cost of 1 Mio FF.

Old January 20th 20, 03:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

They are, if anything, endlessly inventive scheming *******s.

Old January 20th 20, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 06:34:34 -0800, sms
wrote:

However there is no dispute about the benefits of helmets in terms of
injury prevention and reduction. The scientific evidence is
irrefutable. The statistical evidence is irrefutable.

Given that this is refuted every time you state it, how long are you
going to keep spreading this nonsense? You've been at it for decades,
along with your everyone-needs-a-Kleig-light-equivalent headlight
malarkey.

Bike crashes are chaotic events. In one crash a helmet may help, in
another it may not. Because of this, the statistical evidence of the
efficacy of helmets in reducing the incidence and prevalence of brain
injuries in bike crashes doesn't get out of the null set with good
confidence interval. It would be wonderful if it was in fact true that
helmets had a large protective effect.

My n=1 story is that the concussion I received in my bike crash was not
prevented by the helmet I was wearing. My helmet and head never hit
anything. Maybe because I didn't believe it was going to help if I did
get into a crash (I wear it because my wife is a helmet believer and
gets really ****ed if I go for a ride without one. A happy wife is a
hapy marriage, as the saying goes).
Old January 21st 20, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 8:37:48 AM UTC, Rolf Mantel wrote:

I can remember similar "house for fixer upper" offers from France:
Chateau with several square miles of land for 1FF.

Only side condition: new owner must renovate roof according to "listed
building" status at a cost of 1 Mio FF.

The financier Robert Maxwell lived in a grand house with grand grounds outside Oxford for a rent to the local Council of STG5000pa. Only fly in his pudding was that he had to maintain the building to heritage standards, what you call "listed building status". He used to say he lived in the most expensive council house in England.

Andre Jute
Collector of meaningful trivia, if amusing
Old January 22nd 20, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/17/2020 7:36 AM, sms wrote:

snip

In 2003 I was riding home from work with my homebrew lighting system
that used two 14 watt 12V sealed beam halogen lamps and a kid called out
"nice lights." Does that count as "congratulations?" It was unsolicited
praise. These days good lights are so common that no one would think to
praise a cyclists using them.

I guess that I should also point out that besides probably 25% of the
personally owned dyno lighting systems in my city being in my own
garage, my city also probably has the most dyno equipped bicycles per
capita of any city in the United States; this is due to the bicycles
owned by a very large fruit company with its world headquarters in my city.
Old January 22nd 20, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/22/2020 2:09 PM, sms wrote:
On 1/17/2020 7:36 AM, sms wrote:

snip

In 2003 I was riding home from work with my homebrew lighting system
that used two 14 watt 12V sealed beam halogen lamps and a kid called
out "nice lights." Does that count as "congratulations?" It was
unsolicited praise. These days good lights are so common that no one
would think to praise a cyclists using them.

I guess that I should also point out that besides probably 25% of the
personally owned dyno lighting systems in my city being in my own
garage, my city also probably has the most dyno equipped bicycles per
capita of any city in the United States; this is due to the bicycles
owned by a very large fruit company with its world headquarters in my city.

So, have you stripped your websites of all your previous disparagement
of dyno lighting and its users?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 22nd 20, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 11:33:32 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/22/2020 2:09 PM, sms wrote:
On 1/17/2020 7:36 AM, sms wrote:

snip

In 2003 I was riding home from work with my homebrew lighting system
that used two 14 watt 12V sealed beam halogen lamps and a kid called
out "nice lights." Does that count as "congratulations?" It was
unsolicited praise. These days good lights are so common that no one
would think to praise a cyclists using them.

I guess that I should also point out that besides probably 25% of the
personally owned dyno lighting systems in my city being in my own
garage, my city also probably has the most dyno equipped bicycles per
capita of any city in the United States; this is due to the bicycles
owned by a very large fruit company with its world headquarters in my city.

So, have you stripped your websites of all your previous disparagement
of dyno lighting and its users?

Why would he do that? Dyno lights suck compared to decent LED battery lights except for the fact that you don't have to recharge them. I regard my dyno light as a novelty item or a back-up. But I must say that the dyno was almost acceptable on Monday when riding home on a rare dry night -- on a flattish part of my route. I thought "this is what it must be like for Frank." And then I started up the broken-up goat road and turned on my battery light. https://tinyurl.com/v8mod75 And yes, low tree branches are a thing. https://tinyurl.com/tblfewk

-- Jay Beattie.

Hitting Goals Tom Kunich[_5_] Techniques 8 November 26th 19 09:49 AM
I need help hitting record again. hungry4uni Unicycling 11 July 25th 08 03:57 AM
hitting bricks TerryJ UK 3 December 20th 07 08:29 PM
UK - Muni head to head race - feeler kington99 Unicycling 37 March 20th 07 01:58 PM
Shit hitting the fan. crit PRO Racing 58 April 6th 05 08:02 AM