Token hub bearing replacement

Old May 24th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Graham

Default Token hub bearing replacement

Anyone have any experience of replacing the bearings in the hubs of Token
rear wheels. A friend of mine bought a pair of these wheels in Australia
about two years ago. The rims are C30A and the hubs are - well it looks like
C.C.Lira but the graphic art work is so stylised as to make it virtually
unreadable. However there is readable identification mark - TK195-07L. The
wheels have bladed spokes.

The seals have completely failed on one of the 4 bearings and the bearing
has corroded so badly that it has broken up.

If it is possible to replace the bearings does anyone know where I could get
hold of a set in the UK and how difficult the replacement job might be. It
looks as though it would simply be - press the old ones out and the new ones
in. I have already stripped the hub down completely save for pressing out
the bearings.

Graham.

Old May 24th 09, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 24, 2:41*pm, "Graham"
wrote:
Anyone have any experience of replacing the bearings in the hubs of Token
rear wheels. A friend of mine bought a pair of these wheels in Australia
about two years ago. The rims are C30A and the hubs are - well it looks like
C.C.Lira but the graphic art work is so stylised as to make it virtually
unreadable. However there is readable identification mark - TK195-07L. The
wheels have bladed spokes.

The seals have completely failed on one of the 4 bearings and the bearing
has corroded so badly that it has broken up.

If it is possible to replace the bearings does anyone know where I could get
hold of a set in the UK and how difficult the replacement job might be. It
looks as though it would simply be - press the old ones out and the new ones
in.

That's about it. Punch the old ones out from behind with whatever you
don't care about. I use an old screwdriver and a mallet. Then press in
the new ones with a block of wood and a hammer/mallet, making sure
that everything's even and flush. Just a couple minutes time. Grease
the outside of the bearing--as it's steel friction fit in alu--which
could otherwise chemically weld together.
Old May 24th 09, 09:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Graham

"landotter" wrote in message
On May 24, 2:41pm, "Graham"
wrote:
[Snip]
If it is possible to replace the bearings does anyone know where I could
get
hold of a set in the UK and how difficult the replacement job might be. It
looks as though it would simply be - press the old ones out and the new
ones
in.

That's about it. Punch the old ones out from behind with whatever you
don't care about. I use an old screwdriver and a mallet. Then press in
the new ones with a block of wood and a hammer/mallet, making sure
that everything's even and flush. Just a couple minutes time. Grease
the outside of the bearing--as it's steel friction fit in alu--which
could otherwise chemically weld together.

Thanks landotter. All I now need to do is track down a supplier of the
required bearings unless of course they are a generic spec which I could
get from any bearing supplier. Anyone know what the generic equivalents
might be?

Graham.

Old May 24th 09, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Graham wrote:

"landotter" wrote in message
On May 24, 2:41pm, "Graham"
wrote:
[Snip]
[...]

Often bearings are stamped with a number that can be cross-referenced.
If you have a caliper, perhaps measuring the ID, OD & thickness will get
you a serviceable replacement. I don't have any experience with
cartridge bearing hubs, but I do with cartridge bearings, I'd be
surprised if they use anything unique.
Old May 25th 09, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:50:44 +0100, "Graham"
wrote:

"landotter" wrote in message
On May 24, 2:41pm, "Graham"
wrote:
[Snip]
[...]

Most cartridge bearings are generic and are stamped with a number that a bearing
house (most cities have one) can match up. Failing a legible number (it'll be
stamped on an outer edge) they can almost always find an equivalent.
Old May 25th 09, 10:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Graham

"RonSonic" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:50:44 +0100, "Graham"
wrote:

"landotter" wrote in message
On May 24, 2:41pm, "Graham"
wrote:
[Snip]
[...]

Thanks to all you guys who replied. I did as you suggested and eventually
found numbers on the old bearings. They turned out to be 2 x 6802-2RS and 2
x 6902-2RS which are indeed standard generic bearings and are readily
available here in the UK over the internet for £7 delivered. In that case
the wheel should be back on the road next weekend.

Graham.

Old May 25th 09, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Mon, 25 May 2009 10:50:06 +0100, "Graham"
wrote:

"RonSonic" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:50:44 +0100, "Graham"
wrote:

"landotter" wrote in message
On May 24, 2:41pm, "Graham"
wrote:
[Snip]
[...]

One of the wonders of this modern age. There's a lot to be said for handcrafts
and workmanship, but being able to replace a bearing anywhere on the planet
regardless of the product's origin is a beautiful thing.
Old February 5th 18, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Pat at Pista Elite

On Monday, May 25, 2009 at 5:50:06 AM UTC-4, Graham wrote:
"RonSonic" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:50:44 +0100, "Graham"
wrote:

"landotter" wrote in message
On May 24, 2:41pm, "Graham"
wrote:
[Snip]
[...]

Graham, the ones it came with most likely were CB6902 and CB6802 ceramic. Even though they are ceramic they races are not and they can pit. There are Stainless ball and Stainless race available ABI 6802 Sealed Cartridge Bearing, Stainless Races at 365 Cycles $11.02 Amazon Our team is sponsored by Token and use Token wheels, pulleys Bot Brackets. We have been sponsored by them since 2012, so long we have there Original bikes Carbon and Aluminum and all parts Token. they once made. They since quite frame production.. We now ride Masi's but with Token wheels. Pistaelite.com

Old May 25th 09, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Graham wrote:

"landotter" wrote in message
On May 24, 2:41pm, "Graham"
wrote:
[Snip]
[...]

If you cannot read the number on the seal, simply measure it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/