Bike Ride (is that OT now?]

Old January 2nd 19, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Bike Ride (is that OT now?]

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 01:19:00 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

AMuzi wrote:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ny19.html

Kudos to you and your gang, Andrew. My bicycle related activities for the
last couple of days has been cleaning all the parts I pulled off my frame,
and reading this newsgroup. Neither one was particularly aerobic exercise.

You mean that you DON'T gasp in amazement at some of the posts here?

cheers,

John B.

Old January 2nd 19, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

AMuzi wrote:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ny19.html

Kudos to you and your gang, Andrew. My bicycle related activities for the
last couple of days has been cleaning all the parts I pulled off my frame,
and reading this newsgroup. Neither one was particularly aerobic exercise.

You mean that you DON'T gasp in amazement at some of the posts here?

cheers,

John B.

Some people on this newsgroup do rack up some serious mileage, but there's
not a lot of ride posts here. Most of the time when my jaw drops, it's due
to the OT posts (which I'm really trying hard to ignore).

Old January 2nd 19, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 17:27:55 -0800 (PST), jbeattie
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 4:37:06 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/1/2019 3:52 PM, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ny19.html

I'm jealous. My bronchial thing is keeping me from riding, despite dry
roads and pretty moderate temperatures. Our club had its annual 1/1
ride, but I didn't go.

I feel like a whimp because it was icy, and I decided to go for a walk rather than a ride. My wife and I walked a few miles to some friends' house to attend their annual Swedish pancake New Years day extravaganza. Then we waddled home. Four miles and a net calorie gain. I did work on my son's Roubaix because I'm his personal mechanic.

More bike content -- there is a surprising amount of slop in the interface between the Shimano centerlock rotor spines and the hub splines -- at least on my son's bike. With the brakes locked, you can rock the front wheel back and forth like the bike has a loose headset, which it doesn't since I just repacked his cartridges and correctly adjusted the headset. Just plain old slop -- confirmed by complaints on the interweb.

Given that one normally only brake with the wheels turning one
direction is the slop really important? Assuming normal use don't the
disk spline simply apply force to one side of the hub splines and
never to the opposite side? After all most splined joints have some
play, if only a little, to allow them to be assembled. In addition
tapered and involute splines are self centering under load.

cheers,

John B.

Old January 2nd 19, 05:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

New Years ride in Des Moines was 10 degrees and sunny, dry morning. We did have some sleet, rain yesterday which froze. A few ice spots on the roads.. Only four people rode. I and a dozen others sat in Starbucks and talked while the few dedicated were out riding. Then home for bowl watching. Its funny that Madison is 10 degrees warmer than me 200+ miles down south. You having snow isn't a surprise.
Old January 2nd 19, 05:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

AMuzi wrote:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ny19.html

Kudos to you and your gang, Andrew. My bicycle related activities for the
last couple of days has been cleaning all the parts I pulled off my frame,
and reading this newsgroup. Neither one was particularly aerobic exercise.

You mean that you DON'T gasp in amazement at some of the posts here?

cheers,

John B.

Some people on this newsgroup do rack up some serious mileage, but there's
not a lot of ride posts here. Most of the time when my jaw drops, it's due
to the OT posts (which I'm really trying hard to ignore).

Well, it is a "technical" site :-) But start a technical discussion
and it will get replies. You got immediate responses about how to
clean a rear derailer.

cheers,

John B.

Old January 2nd 19, 09:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 1/1/2019 3:52 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

-- Jay Beattie.

I had a sad, sad end of the year. On our last club ride on 30 dec a friend died from a cardiac arrest. Just fell of his bike a couple of seconds after he made a joke passing another friend on a mild off road climb. Recovering from my broken collarbone and ribs I didn't trust myself off road so I was on my road bike at the meeting point. I rode for a couple of miles with my buddies and as soon as they went off road I went my own way so fortunately I didn't see it happen. The shock came a couple of hours later when a friend showed up at my front door telling me the news. ****ing hell.....

Lou
Old January 2nd 19, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 1/1/2019 3:52 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

How old? That is very sad, but at the appropriate age, exactly how I want to go.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 2nd 19, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 1/1/2019 3:52 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

He just celebrated his 65 birthday last month. I also say that this is the way I want to go at any age but that it is hard for the family and friends. His wife died just a half year ago from cancer at an age of 70. So his two sons lost their parents within half a year. Again ****ing hell what a ****ty year it was.

Lou
Old January 2nd 19, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On 1/1/2019 3:52 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

These days 65 is still relatively young. It's the right way to go, as Jay says, but too early.

I too lost a friend we had a lot of fun cycling with.
Again ****ing hell what a ****ty year it was.

+1

Lou

Andre Jute