Another nasty holiday season on RBT

Old January 20th 19, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Another nasty holiday season on RBT

On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 4:12:44 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/19/2019 4:28 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 11:37:25 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 5:15:51 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 11:55:49 PM UTC, wrote:

-another big snip-

I'm self-employed and pay both sides of FICA/FUTA and have for 25 years. I'm supporting people like you -- the SS welfare kings!

-- Jay Beattie.

kumbaya my brother.

I recently sat next to a recently retired woman in a diner
who said she's getting back a lot more than she paid in. I
found no path to explaining compound interest, the fact that
the 'other side' was her deferred wages nor that after
working 50 years she's unlikely to collect for another 50 years.

If we had a sovereign wealth fund, we'd be eating like kings! https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...-the-1trn-mark F'n Norwegians!

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 20th 19, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 23:27:23 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 15:51:13 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 1/19/2019 1:59 PM, wrote:

-snip just oodles of text-

Sitting in a meeting with some of the world's best engineers and
chemists. the engineers said that making a chemical assay machine
required two IBM supercomputers. At the time these were $3 Million
apiece. I said, "I can do it with a micro processor." I delivered ahead
of schedule and below budget so if you said, "It's him or me" you would
have been shown the door immediately.

-final snip-

That would be around 1990 right? Sounds familiar.

My brother's medical research imaging lab building included a full floor
for a Cray with cooling systems. He changed the whole department over to
some mini processors in parallel which by then outperformed a
supercomputer for graphics rendering.

Yep, Tom wasn't there and like all fraudsters he gets tripped up what was
really happening.

Those decades were very interesting from a graphics viewpoint. at one
stage, CAD was the big job, but that was replaced by GIS(geographic
information systems) where I first saw "terrain fly throughs" and then
the "games" market over took that through the visual demands of some of
the involved games like MMORPGs. If you were in the area, DDJ (Dr Jobs
Journal) gives a good history of the code develoment behind it all.

"Doctor Dobb's" wasn't it :-?
--

Cheers,

John B.

Old January 20th 19, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 1:51:09 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/19/2019 1:59 PM, wrote:
On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 5:57:00 PM UTC-8, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 16:55:35 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 4:01:23 PM UTC-8, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 08:02:29 -0800 (PST),
wrote:
On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 5:31:41 PM UTC-8, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 00:56:04 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 1:33:53 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 8:42:52 PM UTC-8, Ralph Barone wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 4:04:05 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 7:25:47 AM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 9:56:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 2:15:27 AM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 5:06:44 AM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:

-snip just oodles of text-

Sitting in a meeting with some of the world's best engineers and chemists. the engineers said that making a chemical assay machine required two IBM supercomputers. At the time these were $3 Million apiece. I said, "I can do it with a micro processor." I delivered ahead of schedule and below budget so if you said, "It's him or me" you would have been shown the door immediately.

-final snip-

That would be around 1990 right? Sounds familiar.

My brother's medical research imaging lab building included
a full floor for a Cray with cooling systems. He changed the
whole department over to some mini processors in parallel
which by then outperformed a supercomputer for graphics
rendering.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I seem to remember it as 1986 or so. It was the fist time an 8008 came out. Later I increased the size and power by using the 8080. The IBM's were the most powerful available. Since De. Mullis didn't have any money in his research grant for that he was stuck giving me the project instead of the two PhD's. That didn't make them exactly my friends and the moment I finished the final product I was out the door.

I later got a job with another company and made a liquid handler with 50 times the ability.
Old January 20th 19, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 2:04:18 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 12:29:11 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 9:46:59 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 8:43:46 AM UTC-8, Mark J. wrote:
On 1/18/2019 8:02 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 5:31:41 PM UTC-8, John B. Slocomb wrote:
For Heaven's sake! Tom is an old man, who is in ill health and suffers
from brain damage. The thought that he is going to beat anyone up is
just another one of his fantasies, like flying around in the bomb bay
of airplanes at 5,000 feet over Vietnam.

And yet that is what happened. But then since you've done so little you wouldn't understand that life is strange and wonderful. The tail gunner in a B52D is actually in the tail. The way to get from the back pressurized compartment to the front is via a very narrow 6" wide shelf. The only way to do this is to put one knee in front of the other and scoot along while holding yourself on the shelf by slipping two fingers per hand between the gap in the vertical and horizontal ribs of the aircraft. On the ground this is scary since you're at least 10' above the bottom of the bomb bays. Because of the curvature of the hull you have to lean your body out over the bays so not many people would do that.

The A/C asked me to go to the gunner's position to find out what the heck was wrong with him since he sounded like he was going nuts. It turned out to be nothing since he was just watching the SAMs bursting around us.

So I went back there before the bomb run and came back after the bomb run. You cannot breath the air above 10,000 feet and remain conscious.

Funny that I've done it at least six times on a bicycle. Is it when you
don't have a bicycle handy that you lose consciousness?

Riding across the US, I went over Hoosier Pass in Colorado at 11,500 and remained conscious -- and in fact felt pretty peppy. More recently, however, I almost passed out riding in Utah at 10,715 -- but only because I was trying to keep up with my son. The grade wasn't that bad -- just long.
https://bbrelje.wordpress.com/2013/0...ghway-cycling/

Time for a ride in the fog!

-- Jay Beattie.

People raised at or near sea level usually have altitude sickness at 10,000 ft or higher. This is medical fact so why are you guys trying to deny it?

Is it your pretense that aircraft are NOT pressurized above 10,000 feet? Jumping in with both feet with that fool Slocumb?

Altitude sickness is not passing out from lack of O2. It's feeling like **** and throwing up or almost throwing up. For me, mild SOB is the least of my problems when it comes to altitude sickness.

I've had mild altitude sickness coming from PDX and skiing at the top of Snowbird or Alta, which is 11,000. It gets worse with effort/dehydration. The worst altitude sickness I ever had was doing a speed climb up Mt. Adams with my wife and some friends. https://alpenglowsports.files.wordpr...adams-jpeg.jpg I decided to go full blast up the face below the false summit -- that step near the top. I about lost my lunch and felt like crap for the last section up to the real summit. Adams is not that high, so breathing was never a real issue. BTW, the great part about that climb is you can glissade down a butt-made bobsled chute much of the way back, braking now and then with an ice ax to avoid flying out of the chute. I ended up wearing a hole through my snow pants. I'll go from zero feet to 7,500 tomorrow morning for skiing, and I won't even register the change except for ear popping -- maybe a little SOB with hard effort, but that elevation gain doesn't make me sick.

-- Jay Beattie.

Which was my point. In that Pro race that they used to have in Colorado, the altitude was so high that the racers - even the Chileans - were carrying 28 tooth cogs in the late 80's. And the speeds up the climbs were something that I could do around here.
Old January 20th 19, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[...]

I calculated my SS and simple interest of only 2% I think and I came out to being 92 before I would become Jay's "burden on society".
Old January 20th 19, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 4:18:36 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/19/2019 7:04 PM, Mark J. wrote:

The Colorado high passes are indeed, if memory serves, in the 5-6% range
(I really should just look it up).

It's the Appalachians that are steep. On one trip across Pennsylvania,
my son (who then was an 18-year-old on the soccer team) threw down his
bike on an uphill and began kicking the hill because it was so steep.

I assumed at the time it was to keep
the cars and semis from expiring/exploding; I drove our 4-cylinder Dodge
Caravan over Vail pass on I-70 (10,662 ft BTW) and was surprised I made
it, for all the complaining the van did.

Our first trip up Trail Ridge Road in RMNP was driving a 1985 Honda
Civic station wagon with a tandem plus a single bike on the roof, my
mountain bike on the back, and pulling a camping trailer. That little
engine worked it's heart out, but it did the job... slowly.

--
- Frank Krygowski

There was some sort of ride there that went up all of the local steep hills and I don't know anything around here like those. But ours are MUCH longer
Old January 20th 19, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I'm not heavily into computer technology, but I bet there are people
here who would be very interested in exactly how you did the job of two
IBM supercomputers with an 8008 microprocessor. Or even an 8080.

Can you give us the technical details, please?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 20th 19, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Because you have no technical knowledge and no understanding of human desires you ain't enough to know that it didn't require a large computer to begin with but two PhD's wanted a nice Supercomputer of their own.

The project they proposed would have cost $10 Million in 1986 dollars when Dr. Mullis had about one and a half.

You don't have any technical knowledge but you know the difference between an 8008 and an 8080. So tell us what those differences were.

KISS MY ASS JIMMYMAC SEND ME SOME NASTY STUFF PLEASE? YOU BET, I AM GOD ***EDWARD DOLAN 1028 4TH AVE. WORTHINGTON, MN 56187 507 727 0306 ***SEND ME SOME NASTY STUFF PLEASE? YOU BET, I AM GOD ***EDWARD DOLAN 1028 4TH AVE. WORTHINGTON, MN 56187 507 IAMGOD Recumbent Biking 0 November 18th 06 09:20 PM
TROLLING IS WHAT I DO BEST SEND ME SOME NASTY STUFF PLEASE? YOU BET, I AM GOD ***EDWARD DOLAN 1028 4TH AVE. WORTHINGTON, MN 56187 507 727 0306 ***SEND ME SOME NASTY STUFF PLEASE? YOU BET, I AM GOD ***EDWARD DOLAN 1028 4TH AVE. WORTHINGTON, MN 561 IAMGOD Recumbent Biking 0 November 18th 06 09:19 PM
Nasty Crash for MTB darryl Australia 0 November 23rd 05 01:50 AM
Looks nasty.... Humbug Australia 4 November 7th 05 04:05 AM
Holiday in Holland = Unicycling holiday! unicycleboy Unicycling 4 March 13th 04 03:01 PM