Bike fitting and used bikes

Old May 2nd 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Bike fitting and used bikes

Andre Jute wrote:
[...]
Hold a not too thick hardcover coffee table book between your thighs,
opening end up, shove it up hard,

Good thing this post did not end here.

stand up straight and get someone
else to measure from the upper edge of the book to the floor. If you
handle the tape yourself, you're not standing straight. The book is
good because it is obvious when something that big is not level. HTH.

Why not use a carpenter's level, so horizontal can be verified?

Old May 2nd 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On May 2, 4:53*am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
[...]
Hold a not too thick hardcover coffee table book between your thighs,
opening end up, shove it up hard,

Good thing this post did not end here.

stand up straight and get someone
else to measure from the upper edge of the book to the floor. If you
handle the tape yourself, you're not standing straight. The book is
good because it is obvious when something that big is not level. HTH.

Why not use a carpenter's level, so horizontal can be verified?

A carpenter's level is pretty difficult to hold between your thighs. A
big coffee table book is like a picture on the wall, instantly seen to
be out of true if it is out of true. But if you don't trust the
measurer's eye, by all means add a spirit level to the top of the
book; that is one reason the opening side is upwards rather than the
rounded side.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...%20HUMOUR.html
Old May 2nd 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

On Apr 29, 11:01*am, Michael Press wrote:
Both are too small. I have a 30 inch inseam and a 55 cm
frame is great. Get yourself a 58 cm frame. It will feel
very different at first but take a long test ride
with a proper saddle adjustment and modest stem.
Remember that cockpit length is critical also.

I'm 6'0" tall with a 33.75" inseam, and I ride a 55cm frame. 105cm
stem with 1cm of spacers... just barely avoid toe overlap. I could
easily ride an even smaller frame, only I'd need more stem spacers or
an upturned stem, and I'd get toe overlap too... but I did consider
it. If we can assume that stem lengths from 80 to 130mm are
acceptable, and it is ok to turn them up if necessary, I could have
fit *perfectly* on a 50cm or 60cm frame... or any size in between.

I get the feeling that not many people have worked out the actual
geometry of going from the bottom bracket to the saddle and then to
the bars. The truth is that it is quite easy to adjust the saddle and
bar position to the exact same spot (relative to the BB) over a wide
range of frame sizes. All of the manufacturers of road bikes that I've
noticed, slacken the seat angle as sizes get larger... which makes the
change in *effective* TT length less than it appears. The head tube
length is the measurement that varies the most, and this has a direct
effect on how high your bars will be. If you want your bars close to
seat level then a larger frame will "fit" you best... compared to
someone who likes their bars low. It is mostly a matter of
esthetics... like not wanting an upturned stem or lots of spacers.

Old May 2nd 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

On May 1, 1:19*pm, wrote:
I have about the same measurements. *You need a 56-58cm to fit
properly. *Avoid thecompact frames with sloping toptubes as you will
have a hard time gettinga good fit.

Total rubbish...
Old May 2nd 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"Ron Ruff" wrote in message
On May 1, 1:19 pm, wrote:
I have about the same measurements. You need a 56-58cm to fit
properly. Avoid thecompact frames with sloping toptubes as you will
have a hard time gettinga good fit.

Total rubbish...

Seconded. I ride frames around that size, and I'm 6'2" or so. It's what's
comfortable to me - so that's what the OP should ride, what's comfortable,
not some random sizing rule.

(and compact is fine...)

cheers,
clive

Old May 2nd 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
catzz66[_2_]

Clive George wrote:

On May 1, 1:19 pm, wrote:
I have about the same measurements. You need a 56-58cm to fit
properly. Avoid thecompact frames with sloping toptubes as you will
have a hard time gettinga good fit.

Total rubbish...

Seconded. I ride frames around that size, and I'm 6'2" or so. It's
what's comfortable to me - so that's what the OP should ride, what's
comfortable, not some random sizing rule.

(and compact is fine...)

Agree that compact is fine. Lucky for me, since compact is about all
that is sold in my market, anyhow.
Old May 2nd 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:
[...]
Hold a not too thick hardcover coffee table book between your thighs,
opening end up, shove it up hard,

Good thing this post did not end here.

stand up straight and get someone
else to measure from the upper edge of the book to the floor. If you
handle the tape yourself, you're not standing straight. The book is
good because it is obvious when something that big is not level. HTH.

Why not use a carpenter's level, so horizontal can be verified?

Framer's square, or a large drafting square.

--
Michael Press

Old May 2nd 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

You must be misshapen to be 6'2 and fit on a 56 bike. At 5'11 I'm
severely cramped on most 54's. Compact frames suck. It is difficlt
and costly to get the bars near saddle height even on large frames. I
only buy traditional frames

On May 2, 12:39*pm, "Clive George" wrote:
"Ron Ruff" wrote in message

On May 1, 1:19 pm, wrote:
I have about the same measurements. You need a 56-58cm to fit
properly. Avoid thecompact frames with sloping toptubes as you will
have a hard time gettinga good fit.

Total rubbish...

Seconded. I ride frames around that size, and I'm 6'2" or so. It's what's
comfortable to me - so that's what the OP should ride, what's comfortable,
not some random sizing rule.

(and compact is fine...)

cheers,
clive

Self-Fitting A Bike Haselsmasher General 1 July 29th 07 01:59 AM
fitting a bike Denis W Ellem Australia 8 March 27th 06 04:41 AM
Fitting disc brakes to older mountain bikes The Doctor Australia 15 March 17th 06 10:02 AM
Bike fitting Simon Brooke UK 1 September 5th 05 07:52 AM
Fitting Bikes Elisa Francesca Roselli General 31 August 19th 03 04:51 PM