Axle for Velocity rear tandem hub

Old February 12th 12, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

Default Axle for Velocity rear tandem hub

We have a Velocity rear tandem hub (145 mm spacing) with a bent axle.
I measured the diameter and it looks like 11-12mm, an odd size. It is
also aluminum and that seems like a poor choice for a tandem hub.

Any ideas where to find a replacement axle? The hub is made by Chosen
and they don't list parts.

Old February 13th 12, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

try WHEELS MFG online.
or LOOSESCREWS
Old February 13th 12, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

On Feb 12, 5:05*pm, somebody wrote:
We have a Velocity rear tandem hub (145 mm spacing) with a bent axle.
I measured the diameter and it looks like 11-12mm, an odd size. *It is
also aluminum and that seems like a poor choice for a tandem hub.

Any ideas where to find a replacement axle? *The hub is made by Chosen
and they don't list parts.

Have you contacted Velocity directly? In my experience they are very
supportive and obliging.

Also in my observation, a 12mm aluminum axle without threads can be
much stronger than a 10mm hollow steel axle with threads on it, such
as Shimano use on their tandem hubs.

If you come up empty-handed, a smooth OD aluminum axle is one of the
easiest parts for a machine shop to make. Specify 7075 aluminum for
the strongest widely available aluminum alloy, or have them substitute
an alloy steel like 4140 CrMo or 17-4 stainless.

Chalo Colina
Old February 14th 12, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Feb 13, 1:56*pm, Chalo wrote:
[...]

ah CC k posse ? Your weather has been excrebale no ? did it rain ?

what steel does Wheels MFG turn Wheels axles from ? If the tandem man
want real steel go for Wheels alloy or better. With Wheels, the
strong axle is delightfully bendable back into straight with a vise
and 11 pound tapping hammer. The steels in early Suntour and SR steels
do same...strong yet malleable.

Of course, in tandem conditions, your recommendation of 4140 would
never bend ? 4140 is unbendable ?
Old February 14th 12, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

On Feb 13, 8:40*pm, kolldata wrote:

Of course, in tandem conditions, your recommendation of 4140 would
never bend ? 4140 is unbendable ?

4140 CrMo alloy is just chromoly, a little stronger than 4130.
Mainly, it's the most industrially standard chromoly for machined
parts, the same way 4130 is the easy choice for fabrication.

Remember, when we pay machinists for their time, we want them to be
able to find the material quickly and work it without trouble.

For sheer strength and toughness, a maraging steel alloy like
Carpenter Aermet 100 would be better. Don't ask an ordinary local
machinist to cut that, though.

Chalo
Old February 14th 12, 09:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 12:56:27 -0800 (PST), Chalo
wrote:

[...]

Great idea. I'll take the axle out to see what the rest looks like in
terms of how far its threaded.

The Velocity people are helpful, but they don't list the axle. They
do have a steel freehub body, and that won't get deformed by the
cassette the way the original aluminum body did.
Old February 14th 12, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

Carpenter ! search Metals Superstore, a chain. At the Boeing area,
very effective, also SF. I understand MSS has an unobtanium.
Interesting Velocity doesn't have the original. If the hub has miles
then a new one ?
Use carbide to cut the Carpenter steel ?

Old February 15th 12, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 07:09:29 -0800 (PST), kolldata
wrote:

Carpenter ! search Metals Superstore, a chain. At the Boeing area,
very effective, also SF. I understand MSS has an unobtanium.
Interesting Velocity doesn't have the original. If the hub has miles
then a new one ?
Use carbide to cut the Carpenter steel ?

Metals Superstore/Metal Depot show english sizes. Where to get
metric? And the pipe has a thin wall, any good place to find a thick
wall?