stopping wheel theft?

Old May 22nd 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Andrew Price

Default stopping wheel theft?

On Fri, 22 May 2009 15:13:29 GMT, Peter Cole
wrote:

[otherwise excellent post]

America, having invented the car,

Hmmm... I wonder what Gottlieb Daimler would have said about that -
he'd probably agree if you meant the *mass-produced* car.

now needs to save the world from it.

Rest assured, the problem isn't uniquely American. And neither is
resistance to the solution. Much higher fuel taxes and efficient
public transport tend to frighten off most politicians, who are only
interested in the time to the next elections. The forty to fifty year
lifespan of a tram or metro car is of no interest to them.
Old May 23rd 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Ablang writes:
I guess the most obvious way to stop wheel theft is to actually loop a
cable or chain lock through both tires and locked to the frame and/or
the bike rack.

The other way, but not so easy, is to replace the quick release w/ the
screw & nuts.

I just recently learned that one can use a hose clamp to prevent the
quick release from working unless a thief is properly equipped w/ the
right tools.

What other ways can be done to prevent wheel theft?

In some circumstances, a folding bike would seem to
be just the ticket. Keep the bike with you instead
of leaving it at the avail of thieves.

Note even if a locking system was 100% secure -- if
they can't steal it, they'll vandalize and wreck it.

My own bike locking tactic is to surround the front
wheel + downtube + whatever I'm locking to with the
U-lock. My rear wheel is a cheap-o single-wall'd-rim
thing with a screw-on freewheel and nutted axle.
It's really not worth a thief's getting his hands
dirty for.

Other than theft, what I have to watch out for is
little kids monkeying with my shifters and toe straps.
I've learned to visually pre-trip my parked bike
each time I return to it. I heartily recommend this
practice to everyone who occasionally leaves their
bike unattended for any length of time.

And of course, the longer a parked bike remains
unattended, the more susceptible it is to theft,
so it's important to not leave it for extended
periods of time. Come back to the bike to check
up on it every once in a while if you can, and be
seen to be doing so. Thieves tend to be a very
wary lot, and will observe and wait for what feels
like an opportune time to make their move. A completely
unattended bike is a more inviting target than one which
is unpredictably revisited.

I think a lot of people underconsider the time factor in
bike parking security. But the lock it/leave it/forget it
approach is what bites a lot of people in the tukass.

Some venues in Vancouver offer bike valet parking.
I know of one pub that allows indoor bike parking
(The Red Brick.) Maybe The Cambie does, too. Many
larger local shopping malls here have roaming bicycle
security. A li'l friendly, sociable chit-chat about
bike stuff with your fellow cycling afficionado in the
yellow-&-black jacket helps identify you as the rightful
owner of your bike, and chances are he or she will
especially keep an eye on it for you.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old May 29th 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David Reuteler[_2_]

Alan Hoyle wrote:
There exist several options that replace the quick release skewers
with more secure locking skewers which require a compact, but
specialized tool to release or sometimes a normal hex key. For
example:

http://www.rei.com/product/732406
http://www.comcycle-usa.com/ProductInfo.aspx?id=3071653
http://www.comcycle-usa.com/ProductInfo.aspx?id=3071870

probably the best of breed is the pitlock skewer. peterwhite & urbanbiketech
both sell 'em

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/pitlock.asp
http://www.urbanbiketech.com/

pitlock has the added advantage of also producing a set for securing your
threadless headet -- a not insignicant feature since you could just slide
off the fork and take the wheel w/ it. no fix for threaded headsets, tho.

i use it to secure my schmidt dynohub on my commuter.

and it's always fun to watch the shop mechanic struggle with it.
--
david reuteler

Stopping rust Dan O Techniques 16 December 1st 08 09:58 PM
Are these secure bike 'bins' any good for stopping theft? [email protected] UK 25 July 12th 08 04:39 PM
Would like advice on preventing QR wheel theft David Lowther UK 21 January 1st 08 06:19 PM
Don't even think about stopping in a crash nash General 12 March 15th 07 08:49 PM
Thanks for stopping [email protected] Australia 4 December 9th 04 12:44 PM