Ok, what is with clipless or clips?

Old November 4th 04, 02:06 AM
Benjamin Lewis

Zoot Katz wrote:

Wed, 03 Nov 2004 14:46:28 -0800, ,
Benjamin Lewis wrote:

Thus, I don't believe
shoe price is a drawback to clipless pedals, although convenience may be
for some people.

And style, man. Don't forget _style_.

Yeah, if you restrict yourself to the Henry Ford school of colour, you may
have trouble finding shoes you like.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
-- James Thurber
Old November 4th 04, 02:08 AM
Blair P. Houghton

do not spam wrote:
In article ,
dgk wrote:
I finally got it out, but it would have been better if I
just had fallen into the mud.

Anyway, what is clip vs clipless?

Clipless are easier to get out of than toe clips.

Depends on how experienced you are with either.

Clipless are also much more expensive.

Newer, hence still marketed as "New!". Since the variation
of clamp/cleat styles is infinite, the learning curve
will never drop much before any particular type becomes so
obsolete you won't trust the supply of spare parts. Hence,
expect the prices to remain excessive essentially forever.

Either will give you better performance than nothing at all.

Nothing at all = descent.

--Blair
"Tomorrow I'm installing some
clipless gloves."
Old November 4th 04, 02:11 AM
Blair P. Houghton

PK wrote:
There is an old English joke about trying to explain Cricket to an American,
all about batsmen going out when they are in until they are out then they
come in, and a batsman who is in but caught out must then come in etc etc.

I'm reminded of that joke everytime the subject of clipping into clipless
pedals crops up!

Clipless pedals are so bollixed a subject that even Sheldon
Brown just says "go look at Shimano's website."

You've got to admit, it is daft terminology! The only pedals with clips are
clipless while clipped pedals have straps and no clips.......

Who's on first?

--Blair
"Indexed shifter!"
Old November 4th 04, 02:35 AM
maxo

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 00:06:48 +0000, PK wrote:

You've got to admit, it is daft terminology! The only pedals with clips
are clipless while clipped pedals have straps and no clips.......

What about strapless pedals?

They can look great worn with a push-up.

Old November 4th 04, 05:41 AM
Benjamin Lewis

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

do not spam wrote:
In article ,
dgk wrote:
I finally got it out, but it would have been better if I
just had fallen into the mud.

Anyway, what is clip vs clipless?

Clipless are easier to get out of than toe clips.

Depends on how experienced you are with either.

Perhaps, but in my experience clipless were *much* easier to get out of
when I'd had about equal experience with each. This probably depends
somewhat on clipless pedal design, how tight you like your straps to be,
etc.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Evelyn the dog, having undergone further modification, pondered the
significance of short-person behavior in pedal-depressed panchromatic
resonance and other highly ambient domains... "Arf", she said.
Old November 4th 04, 06:24 AM

a shy person writes:

Anyway, what is clip vs clipless?

http://www.yellowjersey.org/tocleat.html

The lower picture shows a shoe on a Campagnolo pedal with a strap that
goes through a toe clip to securing the shoe to the pedal. These, if
well fitting require the strap to be loosened to get the foot out of
the pedal.

For this reason, clips and straps are used on track racing even today
because "clipless" pedals have only a cleat under the shoe that
retains the shoe fore and aft, and vertically but not rotationally.
Since standing start sprints easily rotate the foot in the pedal,
unwanted releases can occur since this is the normal method of
releasing feet from clipless pedals.

Rotation release came to bicycling from skiing where step-in
engagement and rotation release was introduced years earlier when
twisted ankles were occurring on the slopes often. For most riding,
the "twist foot to exit" mechanism works well. SPD steel cleats
cannot be pulled out vertically although riders swear they can do it,
but I am sure it is a case of foot rotation masked by strong upward
pull on the foot. It doesn't take much.

That's the only drawback I see with "step-in" pedals, known as
clipless.

Jobst Brandt

Old November 4th 04, 06:42 AM

PK what? writes:

I'm reminded of that joke every time the subject of clipping into
clipless pedals crops up!

I don't know what crowd you mix with but around here we step into the
pedals and engage the cleat.

You've got to admit, it is daft terminology! The only pedals with
clips are clipless while clipped pedals have straps and no
clips...

I think you've got your terms confused. Toe clips support the strap
and prevent the pedal from rolling forward when pedaling standing.
You would have noticed that when a clip breaks as they often did and
your foot rolls off the front of the pedal still strapped in... clip
dangling and tinkling on the pavement as it hangs from the strap.

Today, plastic clips last a bit longer but are still a pain.

Jobst Brandt

Old November 4th 04, 09:43 AM
PK

wrote in message
PK what? writes:

I'm reminded of that joke every time the subject of clipping into
clipless pedals crops up!

I don't know what crowd you mix with but around here we step into the
pedals and engage the cleat.

You've got to admit, it is daft terminology! The only pedals with
clips are clipless while clipped pedals have straps and no
clips...

I think you've got your terms confused. Toe clips support the strap
and prevent the pedal from rolling forward when pedaling standing.
You would have noticed that when a clip breaks as they often did and
your foot rolls off the front of the pedal still strapped in... clip
dangling and tinkling on the pavement as it hangs from the strap.

Today, plastic clips last a bit longer but are still a pain.

Jobst Brandt

I know all that Jobst, but the terminology only makes sense if you know the
history. Show someone who has seen neither a clipless pedal and one with
cage and straps and ask which is clipless! When a newbie arrives on here
and says "Which foot should i put in the clip first?" - someone always asks
if they are talking about toe straps (clipped) or pedals the shoe clips into
(clipless).

I was just remarking that it is very much like tring to explain cricket to
someone who has never seen the game.

EG
From an online advice site: The shoe cleats required for clipless pedals
are basically shaped pieces of metal [Snip].......Basically, the best way
to begin is to clip one foot (the foot you normally begin with) into its
pedal....

pk

Old November 4th 04, 10:24 AM
DRS

"PK" wrote in message

[...]

I know all that Jobst, but the terminology only makes sense if you
know the history. Show someone who has seen neither a clipless pedal
and one with cage and straps and ask which is clipless! When a
newbie arrives on here and says "Which foot should i put in the clip
first?" - someone always asks if they are talking about toe straps
(clipped) or pedals the shoe clips into (clipless).

I was just remarking that it is very much like tring to explain
cricket to someone who has never seen the game.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the
side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes
in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and
the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.
Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and
when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There
are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide
when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the
men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been
in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

--

A: Top-posters.

Old November 4th 04, 12:01 PM
PK

"DRS" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks! I couldn't remember the details! Make as much sence as clipping into
clipless pedals! ie perfect sence if you know what it means gobbledegook if
you don't!!

pk

Toe clips! hell-on-wheel Unicycling 18 May 22nd 04 11:45 PM
Advice please: newbies and clipless pedals Monique Y. Herman Mountain Biking 43 November 19th 03 11:42 PM
Clipless pedals: lets beat a dead horse... Destroy Mountain Biking 19 August 13th 03 06:35 PM