help selecting new cranks for 24" uni.

Old March 21st 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default help selecting new cranks for 24" uni.

Hey all, new member here.

I have a 24" ebay unicycle.

It came to me with the crank arms on the wrong sides.. so I kept
unscrewing the pedals... then after tightening them over and over like
5 times, I managed to strip the threads on the right side crank
arm......

So, I realized the issue but it was 2 late..

I grabbed an old set of sugino 170mm road cranks and bolted them up and
they work fine, but they look funny with the spider on one side with a
missing chainring.. lol

My question is what is a good length for cranks for a 24" uni ?

I want to learn some tricks and other things that I've seen so I wanted
some suggestions before I order something.

I can go from 140 mm all the way to 175 mm .

???? Which one to go with ?

--
fordfasterr
fordfasterr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11890

Old March 21st 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

picture/ brand?

that would be helpful

--
manon1wheel

Riley

I LOVE YOU GILBY
manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

Old March 21st 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

manon1wheel wrote:
picture/ brand?

that would be helpful

The brand is " Gravity " ... I know that some other people on this site
started on this brand.

Its got a steel rim and had some crappy cast cranks..

Anyway, the point is that I need to select cranks with proper length
for learning to do tricks and such on a 24" wheel.

=)

Old March 21st 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

For "just learning" get 150s. For freestyle you might want shorter, and
for muni you might want longer.

--
phlegm
phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

Old March 21st 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

If you're not going to do MUni, you want short to medium-length cranks.
I prefer 125mm, which make for a fairly smooth and quick ride. Some
tricks will be easier to learn on slightly longer cranks; 140mm might
be a good size. I'd be pretty reluctant to go longer than that on a
24", unless it was for MUni.

--
tholub

Old March 21st 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

phlegm wrote:
For "just learning" get 150s. For freestyle you might want shorter, and
for muni you might want longer.

Thanks !

The stock cranks are in the 150mm range...

I suppose those would be good enough for learning basic tricks.

I already know how to ride (leared on saturday), but now I wanted to
get started on some tricks !

WOOT !

Old March 21st 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

If you know how ho ride, go for 125 or 140mm cranks..
I just hate long cranks when it's not needed
and the cotterless looks so skinny!

--
lleberg

I 3 my unicycle!
lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

Old March 21st 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Thanks for all the info!!

I'm ordering a set of 140mm Cranks !

I looked everywhere for uni cranks and I could not find them, so I
ordered some BMX cranks with 5 tooth spider, I will use my angle
grinder to remove them easily. =)

I know.. its stupid, but for $ 20 new .. =)

Old March 21st 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

you should ahve gone to www.unicycle.com or www.bedfordunicycles.ca

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !

*JONNY IS MY HERO!*

Old March 21st 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

http://aebike.com/index.cfm has Sugino cranks. You can get left and
right crank arms made for tandems. No spider to have to remove. Good
prices and many sizes.

--
One on one

Amazing. YOU'RE a waffler too!! And we BOTH unicycle! We're just the
same! That's why I like you, Greg!
-BillyTheMountain

You ARE me, you silly goose.
-Greg Harper