Why do pedestrians

Old July 4th 16, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

Default Why do pedestrians

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 17:46:47 +0100, soup wrote:

On 04/07/2016 17:37, Simon Jester wrote:

Why do pedestrians thank drivers with a wave for stopping at zebra crossings?

Probably for the same reasons as drivers thank each other with waves
when one stops as the other has right of way.

I frequently wave at cars that give me plenty room overtaking me,
cars that wait at side roads etc etc.
You may say they are just not 'breaking the law' but to me
politeness costs nothing and any situation where drivers do that extra
little bit of actually acknowledging you exist and treat you as other
traffic deserves my thanks/acknowledgment

I get waves from motorcyclists for pulling to the left a bit so they can overtake when there's stuff coming the other way. But then motorcyclists don't need as much room as cyclists claim to.

--
Up until 1948 there was a gold medal for town planning in the Olympics.
Old July 4th 16, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 18:08:53 +0100, Simon Jester wrote:

On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 5:46:49 PM UTC+1, soup wrote:
On 04/07/2016 17:37, Simon Jester wrote:

Why do pedestrians thank drivers with a wave for stopping at zebra crossings?

Probably for the same reasons as drivers thank each other with waves
when one stops as the other has right of way.

I frequently wave at cars that give me plenty room overtaking me,
cars that wait at side roads etc etc.
You may say they are just not 'breaking the law' but to me
politeness costs nothing and any situation where drivers do that extra
little bit of actually acknowledging you exist and treat you as other
traffic deserves my thanks/acknowledgment

By doing so you are implying the driver has done you a favour, that is my point.
You are saying that you can only use the roads because motorists allow you to do so.

We need to get away from this 'the roads are for cars' mentality.

Do you know what politeness means? Waving means "thanks", nothing more, it implies nothing of what you're saying. I say thanks to the shopkeeper when he gives me change, but he has to give me the change. Should I not thank him because it's his job and he must do it?

--
The Red Cross just knocked on my door and asked if we could contribute towards the floods in Lebanon.
I said we'd love to, but our garden hose only reaches the driveway.
Old July 4th 16, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 20:00:00 +0100, JNugent wrote:

On 04/07/2016 17:46, soup wrote:

On 04/07/2016 17:37, Simon Jester wrote:

Why do pedestrians thank drivers with a wave for stopping at zebra
crossings?

Probably for the same reasons as drivers thank each other with waves
when one stops as the other has right of way.

I frequently wave at cars that give me plenty room overtaking me,
cars that wait at side roads etc etc.
You may say they are just not 'breaking the law' but to me
politeness costs nothing and any situation where drivers do that extra
little bit of actually acknowledging you exist and treat you as other
traffic deserves my thanks/acknowledgment

It really IS amazing that some people are so consumed with bitterness
and spite that they simply cannot comprehend unforced politeness, isn't it?

Actually, I can't remember ever seeing a cyclist wave.

--
In case of exposure to lack of substance, please do not continue to refrain from stopping.
Old July 4th 16, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 19:44:09 +0100, Alycidon wrote:

On Monday, 4 July 2016 18:31:20 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:

The point is you are stood at a zebra crossing waiting for permission from a motorist to cross.
You have priority and should not be in fear for your life for exercising that priority.

Indeed - if I am at a zebra and a car is approaching, but has plenty of time to stop if I walk out, then I will simply walk across there and then.

This saves time in the same way as when I drive on when three cars turn up at a mini roundabout - I make the other parties' mind up for them which then negates any "after you" dithering.

If you did that in front of me you'd get hooted at. You should at least wait to see if the car is slowing. One day you're going to get run over. But it's ok, you were in the right when you're lying in hospital with limbs missing.

--
The planet Neptune has barely completed one orbit since it was discovered in 1846.
Pluto hasn't completed a full orbit since its discovery, and won't until March 23, 2178.
Old July 4th 16, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 18:31:18 +0100, Simon Jester wrote:

On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 6:21:13 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Simon Jester wrote:
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 5:53:16 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I give drivers a quick thank you for stopping, I have yet to be
ignored when stood at a zebra crossing.

Thank you for proving my point.

You did not have a point.

The point is you are stood at a zebra crossing waiting for permission from a motorist to cross.
You have priority and should not be in fear for your life for exercising that priority.

It's called common courtesy, something you as a dedicated scum
cyclist will never understand.

How childish.

Lack of denial noted.

I deny you have more right to use the roads than me.

What is it with cyclists thinking they own the place? Cars are more expensive, faster, more powerful, more useful, ............, of course we have more rights than you.

--
Clair Frisby talking about a jumbo hot dog on Look North said: "There's nothing like a big hot sausage inside you on a cold night like this."
Old July 4th 16, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 18:35:41 +0100, Simon Jester wrote:

On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 6:27:25 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Yet I presume that, as a driver, you will "wave" at a driver for letting you
out of a junction when the other driver has right of way?

Once again you prove my point.
Thank You

Are you going to state what this fictitious point is?

--
Before you set out on a journey, ring your local radio station and say there's a terrible congestion on your road. Everybody avoids it and it's clear for you! -- Jack Dee
Old July 4th 16, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 18:06:37 +0100, Bruce 'Not Glug' Lee wrote:

Simon Jester wrote:

Why do pedestrians thank drivers with a wave for stopping at zebra crossings?

'At some point you’ll almost certainly have seen someone walking across
a road and then breaking into a little theatrical gallop when a car
approaches. Is this the act of someone running for their lives? No. If
it was, they’d suddenly sprint. It’s the act of someone who’s been
conditioned to believe that motor vehicles and the people within them
must be allowed to proceed with minimal disruption. ....'
http://beyondthekerb.org.uk/2015/10/02/we-do-not-negotiate-with-terrorists/

It's called being polite. I do it too so the car doesn't have to slow down.

--
Lord of the undone flies - the island of reluctant but inevitable homosexuality.
Old July 4th 16, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 18:39:39 +0100, MrCheerful wrote:

On 04/07/2016 17:37, Simon Jester wrote:

Why do pedestrians thank drivers with a wave for stopping at zebra crossings?

Is it because motorists so rarely give way to pedestrians at zebra crossings, let alone side roads?
Or are we so deep into the car culture that pedestrians are grateful not to be mown down by cars every time the go out?

How many drivers thank other drivers for stopping at a give way line?

I can see no difference between a zebra crossing and a give way junction from a vehicle users point of view.

It is just pure politeness and part of normal human interaction.

Simon Jester is a cyclist and doesn't understand human interaction. Anyone not on a bicycle is another species.

--
FART stands for FAst Repetitive Ticks, and herrings use them to communicate.
Old July 4th 16, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 04-Jul-16 5:37 PM, Simon Jester wrote:

Why do pedestrians thank drivers with a wave for stopping at zebra crossings?

Is it because motorists so rarely give way to pedestrians at zebra crossings, let alone side roads?
Or are we so deep into the car culture that pedestrians are grateful not to be mown down by cars every time the go out?

How many drivers thank other drivers for stopping at a give way line?

I can see no difference between a zebra crossing and a give way junction from a vehicle users point of view.

It's called being polite, if you ask nicely somebody might explain the
concept to you.

---

Old July 4th 16, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 04-Jul-16 6:08 PM, Simon Jester wrote:
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 5:46:49 PM UTC+1, soup wrote:
On 04/07/2016 17:37, Simon Jester wrote:

Why do pedestrians thank drivers with a wave for stopping at zebra crossings?

Probably for the same reasons as drivers thank each other with waves
when one stops as the other has right of way.

I frequently wave at cars that give me plenty room overtaking me,
cars that wait at side roads etc etc.
You may say they are just not 'breaking the law' but to me
politeness costs nothing and any situation where drivers do that extra
little bit of actually acknowledging you exist and treat you as other
traffic deserves my thanks/acknowledgment

By doing so you are implying the driver has done you a favour, that is my point.

No he isn't.

You are saying that you can only use the roads because motorists allow you to do so.

He never said any such thing.

We need to get away from this 'the roads are for cars' mentality.

Do your shoulders droop from carrying that big chip?

---