Las Vegas to Hoover Dam Bike Routes ??

Old December 6th 04, 05:34 AM
Chuck Anderson

Mike Kruger wrote:

Chuck Anderson wrote:

Ravi wrote:

Hi,
I did this ride on the Black Friday (Nov 26).

I can't help but ask. Why Black Friday?

Why not? It's a lot safer thing to your mental and financial
health to go on a a bike ride that day.

That's not what I was asking.

Since when is Friday Nov 26th called Black Friday? What makes that day
be called Black Friday?

I think the big depression began on Black Thursday. I know what Bloody
Sunday is.

What is Black Friday?

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old December 6th 04, 06:42 AM
Janet

Chuck Anderson wrote:
Mike Kruger wrote:

Chuck Anderson wrote:

Ravi wrote:

Hi,
I did this ride on the Black Friday (Nov 26).

I can't help but ask. Why Black Friday?

Why not? It's a lot safer thing to your mental and financial
health to go on a a bike ride that day.

That's not what I was asking.

Since when is Friday Nov 26th called Black Friday? What makes that day
be called Black Friday?

I think the big depression began on Black Thursday. I know what Bloody
Sunday is.

What is Black Friday?

Black Friday - the day after Thanksgiving Day (4th Thursday of Nov in
the USA) is the "unofficial" start of the Christmas Shopping season. The
stores all have big earlybird specials and lots of sales (some stores
open as early as 5am). According to tradition it's the day that the
stores make enough sales to go from a deficit "in the red" to a profit
"in the black" for the year. (the "red" and "black" come from the old
days when financial ledgers were handwritten in ink and red ink was used
for a deficit and black ink for a profit.)

Janet

Old December 6th 04, 07:21 AM
Chuck Anderson

Janet wrote:

Chuck Anderson wrote:

Mike Kruger wrote:

Chuck Anderson wrote:

Ravi wrote:

[...]

Ha! I thought you were kidding the first time, like it's a "black" day.
(Consumerism run rampant? The worst of what Christmas should be. People
fighting to shop and buy first. It's an ugly day to me, anyway.)

I'd never heard of this before (books going from red into the black). I
get it now. Thanks for explaining.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Old December 7th 04, 06:21 AM
Janet

Chuck Anderson wrote:

Janet wrote:

Chuck Anderson wrote:

Mike Kruger wrote:

Chuck Anderson wrote:

Ravi wrote:

[...]

You're welcome. And yes, you're right, it is consumerism run rampant, etc...

Janet