REI Safari or Surly Long haul Trucker?

Old March 27th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default REI Safari or Surly Long haul Trucker?

I want to do some touring this summer.

Any help on deciding between the tow bikes above?
Old March 27th 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 27, 10:30*am, wrote:
I want to do some touring this summer.

Any help on deciding between the tow bikes above?

Both are excellent choices. If you're going to be touring on rougher
terrain, the Novara would probably be a better choice, but other than
that, it's apples and oranges. I think the Surly's pertier. FWIW, the
spec on the Surly is next to perfect, except for the tires--it may
just have been the set I ran--but WTB "Slickasaurus" tires are the
most cheesy flat-prone name brand tires I've ever run. Worth a
consideration before taking off into the sunset for sure, but not a
deal breaker.
Old March 27th 08, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

landotter wrote:

On Mar 27, 10:30*am, wrote:
I want to do some touring this summer.

Any help on deciding between the tow bikes above?

Both are excellent choices. If you're going to be touring on rougher
terrain, the Novara would probably be a better choice, but other than
that, it's apples and oranges. I think the Surly's pertier. FWIW, the
spec on the Surly is next to perfect, except for the tires--it may
just have been the set I ran--but WTB "Slickasaurus" tires are the
most cheesy flat-prone name brand tires I've ever run. Worth a
consideration before taking off into the sunset for sure, but not a
deal breaker.

OK thanks

I'm 50 and have dreamed of a tour all my life but never
went

I'm now at an age where my health concerns me more than
money or time so will do a tour this summer b4 its too
late
Old March 28th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

On Mar 27, 10:30 am, wrote:
I want to do some touring this summer.

Any help on deciding between the tow bikes above?

I was facing similar choice - wanted a touring bike and
at the end had to decide betw Surly LHT and Novarra Randonee.
For me Novarra Safari was out of a question - I wanted something
that would look like road bike. PLus I had Novarra Viaggio - I guess
you can call it earlier version of Safari and I was VERY unhappy
with that B-shaped handlebar.
I eventually went with Randonee for two reasons - all things being
about the same on both bikes Randonee had much better wheel and I
wanted durable bike. Plus I know everybody in the bike shop at local
REI and those guys are fantastic when it comes to service and repairs.
Old March 28th 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
patrick mitchel

"Woland99" wrote in message
On Mar 27, 10:30 am, wrote:

snip
PLus I had Novarra Viaggio - I guess
you can call it earlier version of Safari and I was VERY unhappy
with that B-shaped handlebar.

I just put some "trekking" bars on a bridgestone xo-3 and have been more
than satisfied with them. What's was the aspect that you found
unsatisfactory in them- the more upright ride they afford?
Interested....Pat

Old March 28th 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

On Mar 27, 8:36 pm, "patrick mitchel" wrote:
"Woland99" wrote in message

... On Mar 27, 10:30 am, wrote:
snip
PLus I had Novarra Viaggio - I guess
you can call it earlier version of Safari and I was VERY unhappy
with that B-shaped handlebar.

I just put some "trekking" bars on a bridgestone xo-3 and have been more
than satisfied with them. What's was the aspect that you found
unsatisfactory in them- the more upright ride they afford?
Interested....Pat

I really cannot answer this question in a way that would be
unbiased. My problem with these type of handlebars on Novarra
Viaggio was probably affected to a great degree with fact that
I bought the bike without proper sizing and I could never find
configuration that was comfortable for a longer ride. I used
to commute on it (10-11miles one way) and I constantly had
problems with numbness in my hands. I do not think that there
was enough variety in hand positions to prevent it.
By comparison now I have Novarra Randonee with regular drop
bars and stem that can be raised up so you top bar position
is VERY relaxed. And I have zero problems with my hands.
On that Viaggio I eventually replaced handlebar with MTB style
one and put in steeper stem and made it sortta comfort bike.
Old March 28th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Woland99 wrote:

On Mar 27, 10:30 am, wrote:
I want to do some touring this summer.

Any help on deciding between the tow bikes above?

I was facing similar choice - wanted a touring bike and
at the end had to decide betw Surly LHT and Novarra Randonee.
For me Novarra Safari was out of a question - I wanted something
that would look like road bike. PLus I had Novarra Viaggio - I guess
you can call it earlier version of Safari and I was VERY unhappy
with that B-shaped handlebar.
I eventually went with Randonee for two reasons - all things being
about the same on both bikes Randonee had much better wheel and I
wanted durable bike. Plus I know everybody in the bike shop at local
REI and those guys are fantastic when it comes to service and repairs.

OK

My thoughts abt the Safari are that I may need to ride
down some pretty big gravel roads occasionally on a
tour.... as well as good paved roads. I worry abt the
wheels and tires on the LHT or Novara randoneee
Old March 28th 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Woland99 wrote:

By comparison now I have Novarra Randonee with regular drop
bars and stem that can be raised up so you top bar position
is VERY relaxed. And I have zero problems with my hands.
On that Viaggio I eventually replaced handlebar with MTB style
one and put in steeper stem and made it sortta comfort bike.

Interesting

Thanks for that opinion

I'm going to REI on Say to ride and look at both bikes

I REALLY REALY need to take a tour this summer and want
to get going with it. I think my soul and body needs
to be outside in the fresh air for extended period of
time and away form desks, computers, cell phones, etc.
Ha!
Old March 28th 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 28, 10:34*am, wrote:
Woland99 wrote:
On Mar 27, 10:30 am, wrote:
[...]

Both the LHT and Randonee come with too gimpy of a tire IMHO, but
that's easy to remedy. the LHT has super tough wheels with Deore hubs,
36 spokes, and nice Alex Adventurer rims--certainly I'd bring either
set up to tension before an extended tour. All three are good, solid
choices. The LHT is a little more traditional with choices like Sugino
cranks, bar-ends, square taper BB, regular bend bars,etc. No major
deal breakers.
Old March 28th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Mar 28, 12:03*pm, landotter wrote:
On Mar 28, 10:34*am, wrote:

Woland99 wrote:
On Mar 27, 10:30 am, wrote:
[...]

deal breakers.- Hide quoted text -

sorting everything out before leaving is best. everything has to go
right where it goes packwise. The mission is orbital.
Touring motels? light load? Conti TT's are OK for the rear but a 35mm
double wall rim, a CR-18 iza good idea. heavy camping loads needa
Pasela Messenger, Conti Contact on the rear with a TT front.
Gravel? If there's a loota dirt upahead then go for a 29er or MTB if
ura short dude. Drag dirt tires along at wider widths than road tires.
Sheldon Brown's website has a rim/tire width graph for switching.
Touring dirt suggest a slightly wider front than rear.
Longer chainstays are better for tracking. MTB give shorter
chainstays, the Monocog comes from cyclocross. Take a look at that
idea. The 29er is stocked with wide slicks for smooth surfaces as well
as Conti knobbies. Overall the 29er/MTB with longer stays may be a
better choice for touring than a traditional sports-tourer
I have a 29er going together for the Front Range, Glacier Conti Divide
and Trans Canada/Myrna Canyon road-a Monocog converted to 3/8 speeds
BUT the cheap asian import japanese sports tourer comes along.
See Pavelka? 'long distance touring' in World Catalog at your library
than tap other books hyperlink.
also many guides for your path. SEARCH: Bicycle Touring Kearny
Stock saddles? try a Specialized Minkow and definitely Spec thorn
proof tubes with a CO2 inflator.
The biggest deal is getting the size right. You want to barrel over
the top of the pedal stroke and not pressure the knee directly
downward while the tuberosities sit on a firm surface without having
inside thighs rub on saddle's sides.

see Campmor.com for polyester T shirts and poly/acrylic socks: keeps
warm when wet or cool when sweating-nooooooooooooooooo cotton. bring a
WalMart painters trap for roadside shelter and bottom tarp.