Rethinking getting Surly Long Haul Trucker frame?

Old October 12th 11, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Rethinking getting Surly Long Haul Trucker frame?

Hi there.

I'm rethinking getting a Surly Long Haul Trucker frameset.

I was about to go to the shop to get measured for a Surly Long Haul
Trucker frame.

*BUT*

The Surly website says that there is only a *3 year limited warranty*
on the frame and also *Not* to use a kickstand as the frame is not
designed for the loads a kickstand can produce. This is with either a
chainstay mounted one or one that mounts on the rear chainstay/
seatstay area.

This frame's regular price here is $550.00 CDN and is on sale for
$340.00 for a short time on existing stock.

Why only a 3 year warranty on a steel frame? I expected a lifetime
limited warranty at least on a steel touring frame. A 3 year limited
warranty on what's suposed to be a quality steel heavy duty touring
frame just doesn't make sense to me. Even many department store steel
BSOs have lifetime warranties on the frame. Again, why such a short
warranty period from Surly for the LHT frame? Has the quality dropped
a lot from what it used to be?

Any light you can shed on why there's such a short warranty period
will be immensely appreciated by me.

Cheers from Peter
Old October 12th 11, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 12, 1:47*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Can't tell you why--if it baffles you, write Surly. I wouldn't worry
much, though--those things are rock solid. D. just broke the dropout
on his Cross-Check, with a lighter tubeset--after five years of urban
abuse, jumping it, and CX racing. One of the hardest riders I know. He
could have had A. fix the dropouts--but after so many years, he felt
that a new frame of the exact model, color, and size would be the best
choice--as he's also a dealer. I believe the old frame will stick
around as a shop ceiling curio.
Old October 12th 11, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

n the frame and also *Not* to use a kickstand as the frame is not
:designed for the loads a kickstand can produce. This is with either a

You want a kickstand, and are therefore insufficently cool to buy an
overpriced mass-produced frame from the hipster marketing machine of
QBP. Why not buy one from someone who doesn't have an irrational fear
of useful bikes?

--
sig 55
Old October 12th 11, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Oct 12, 11:47*am, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

It's a commodity bike.

I like my LHT (at least I've grown used to it). I got mine as a
complete bike, which I think offers a pretty decent complement of
components - compromised here and there for cost but not too much in
most of the places that matter, and I have replaced a few things to my
preference.

I will point out one quality indicator: The front fork canti studs
appear (visibly) to be out of parallel alignment, which I suspect is
the cause of brake squeal that I have not been able to adjust away.

It rides like a tank (relatively speaking), but it's okay, and it's
served me pretty well under hard use.
Old October 13th 11, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

THE PRICE IS COMPETITIVE.
rinse and paint before assembly.
I spoke with several LHT riders involved in crossing the rockies
during inclement spring weather. All were oxygen deprived, voicing no
complaints except the excreble weather.
BTW, a LHT bears significant resemblence to a quakity late '70's eraly
80's Japanese Tiwanese sports touring frame.
Frames that are significantly less thean what was that price ?
Old October 13th 11, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Oct 12, 8:28*pm, kolldata wrote:
THE PRICE IS COMPETITIVE.
rinse and paint before assembly.
I spoke with several LHT riders involved in crossing the rockies
during inclement spring weather. All were oxygen deprived, voicing no
complaints except the excreble weather.
BTW, a LHT bears significant resemblence to a quakity late '70's eraly
80's Japanese Tiwanese sports touring frame.
Frames that are significantly less thean what was that price ?

paint inside with white rusto semi gloss from Wal ( Wal thins
perfectly) and the cliff bars suck
gottta be warm and dry. plug appropriately with rags then dance and
twirl so everything esp chainstays are covered .

there's the warranty
Old October 13th 11, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

divinity deleted and remeber the pepper gas

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/bik/
Old October 13th 11, 05:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Oct 12, 9:30*pm, kolldata wrote:
divinity deleted and remeber the pepper gas

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/bik/

what's needed here is a list of relevant bicycle names for the search
box.
LOtter and AMuzi could rattle off 100.
Old October 13th 11, 09:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

David Scheidt wrote:

You want a kickstand, and are therefore insufficently cool to buy an
overpriced mass-produced frame from the hipster marketing machine of
QBP. *

Okay, I'll bite. What other touring geometry frameset with a full
complement of brazeons can you buy new for less than $400?

Chalo
Old October 13th 11, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 13, 3:35*am, Chalo wrote:
David Scheidt wrote:

You want a kickstand, and are therefore insufficently cool to buy an
overpriced mass-produced frame from the hipster marketing machine of
QBP. *

Okay, I'll bite. *What other touring geometry frameset with a full
complement of brazeons can you buy new for less than $400?

Chalo

List on the Soma Saga is the same as the Surly. I like Surlys a lot,
but for a touring rig, the kickstand plate on the Soma would win me
over. Plus, it has panels.