A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Who is a real cyclist ?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old August 31st 18, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 498
Default Who is a real cyclist ?

On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 9:31:18 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/30/2018 11:27 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 03:35:27 -0700 (PDT), OK
wrote:

Probably a homeless guy with depend on two-wheels is the real cyclist
in my view. Not guys with riding $5k bike on the bike lane who just
use bike for exercise or fun and these guys never use bike for main
transporter. And next real cyclist would be Dutch and Denmark cyclist
using for a main transporter.


If you're riding a bicycle, you're a real cyclist. Why be judgey about
it?


People are amazingly tribal. I actually do wave at the super-low-income
guys riding past me on bikes - not that I see that many. But most of
them don't respond, just as many of the guys in "Look, I'm a racer!"
garb scowling along at 20+ mph don't respond to waves.

I think we are much more likely to accept and acknowledge those we
perceive as being like ourselves - although that's relative, and depends
on context. I remember being at an outdoor restaurant in Venice and
meeting a black American couple who appeared to be several economic
levels above us. As fellow Americans in a foreign land, we chatted like
old friends for nearly an hour. But I bet if we met them in downtown
Chicago, they wouldn't have bothered talking to "those bike riders."


--
- Frank Krygowski


I have the same attitude. Anyone riding a bike is another brother of the wheel. When I got a flat out in the middle of nowhere a homeless guy riding by offered me his patch kit if it would help. Could I do any less?
Ads
  #12  
Old August 31st 18, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 498
Default Who is a real cyclist ?

On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 10:57:59 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 9:31:18 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/30/2018 11:27 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 03:35:27 -0700 (PDT), OK
wrote:

Probably a homeless guy with depend on two-wheels is the real cyclist
in my view. Not guys with riding $5k bike on the bike lane who just
use bike for exercise or fun and these guys never use bike for main
transporter. And next real cyclist would be Dutch and Denmark cyclist
using for a main transporter.

If you're riding a bicycle, you're a real cyclist. Why be judgey about
it?


People are amazingly tribal. I actually do wave at the super-low-income
guys riding past me on bikes - not that I see that many. But most of
them don't respond, just as many of the guys in "Look, I'm a racer!"
garb scowling along at 20+ mph don't respond to waves.


Why must we be social? I don't waive to other car drivers. I signal. There are many times I just want to be left alone while riding. And in fact, if you see me by the side of the road fixing a flat, don't stop; don't ask me if I'm O.K. (which is obvious because I'm seating the last inch of bead). Just keep on riding. There have been times when I've been trying to fix a flat, and so many people ask me if I'm O.K., I feel like I'm manning an information booth.

If I waived at every cyclist around here, I'd be exhausted. I'll waive sometimes, but I don't want it to be a requirement -- and I'm not hurt if others don't waive at me. Do all the riders in Amsterdam waive at each other?

-- Jay Beattie.



Yeah, but no one wants to know you. The rest of us like people.
  #13  
Old August 31st 18, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,819
Default Who is a real cyclist ?

On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 1:57:59 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
Snipped
Why must we be social? I don't waive to other car drivers. I signal. There are many times I just want to be left alone while riding. And in fact, if you see me by the side of the road fixing a flat, don't stop; don't ask me if I'm O.K. (which is obvious because I'm seating the last inch of bead). Just keep on riding. There have been times when I've been trying to fix a flat, and so many people ask me if I'm O.K., I feel like I'm manning an information booth.

If I waived at every cyclist around here, I'd be exhausted. I'll waive sometimes, but I don't want it to be a requirement -- and I'm not hurt if others don't waive at me. Do all the riders in Amsterdam waive at each other?

-- Jay Beattie.


I remember that Jobst used to get quite annoyed if a bicyclist did not wave (not waived) back when he waved at them. However, I've never seen a law stating that a bicyclist must wave at another bicyclist or return a wave. VBEG LOL ;)

Cheers
  #14  
Old August 31st 18, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,035
Default Who is a real cyclist ?

sltom992 wrote:

I have the same attitude. Anyone riding
a bike is another brother of the wheel.


???

Waive at other riders?

Unknown concept.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
  #15  
Old August 31st 18, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 498
Default Who is a real cyclist ?

On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 11:19:17 AM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
sltom992 wrote:

I have the same attitude. Anyone riding
a bike is another brother of the wheel.


???

Waive at other riders?

Unknown concept.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573


Then don't complain if you need help and others simply ride by. Four or five bike riders stopped to help me around the first of the month when I was stuck but none of them had a chain breaker with them which would have allowed me to repair my failure.
  #16  
Old August 31st 18, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,505
Default Who is a real cyclist ?

On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 10:58:41 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 9:31:18 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/30/2018 11:27 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 03:35:27 -0700 (PDT), OK
wrote:

Probably a homeless guy with depend on two-wheels is the real cyclist
in my view. Not guys with riding $5k bike on the bike lane who just
use bike for exercise or fun and these guys never use bike for main
transporter. And next real cyclist would be Dutch and Denmark cyclist
using for a main transporter.

If you're riding a bicycle, you're a real cyclist. Why be judgey about
it?


People are amazingly tribal. I actually do wave at the super-low-income
guys riding past me on bikes - not that I see that many. But most of
them don't respond, just as many of the guys in "Look, I'm a racer!"
garb scowling along at 20+ mph don't respond to waves.

I think we are much more likely to accept and acknowledge those we
perceive as being like ourselves - although that's relative, and depends
on context. I remember being at an outdoor restaurant in Venice and
meeting a black American couple who appeared to be several economic
levels above us. As fellow Americans in a foreign land, we chatted like
old friends for nearly an hour. But I bet if we met them in downtown
Chicago, they wouldn't have bothered talking to "those bike riders."


--
- Frank Krygowski


I have the same attitude. Anyone riding a bike is another brother of the wheel. When I got a flat out in the middle of nowhere a homeless guy riding by offered me his patch kit if it would help. Could I do any less?


O.K., start waiving. https://bikeportland.org/2016/05/04/...o-essay-182506 "Hey ... hi there, hey, hello . . . how's it going . . hi . . "

BTW, what was a homeless guy doing riding a bike in the middle of nowhere? Was he training for the homeless Olympics? I must say, the homeless people around here are real handy with bikes. http://www.bicycleinsuranceportland....ringwater-path They fixed my bike (after stealing it) by taking off the rear disc brake and randomly cutting things. Very odd repairs.

-- Jay Beattie.
  #17  
Old August 31st 18, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,819
Default Who is a real cyclist ?

On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 2:22:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 11:19:17 AM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
sltom992 wrote:

I have the same attitude. Anyone riding
a bike is another brother of the wheel.


???

Waive at other riders?

Unknown concept.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573


Then don't complain if you need help and others simply ride by. Four or five bike riders stopped to help me around the first of the month when I was stuck but none of them had a chain breaker with them which would have allowed me to repair my failure.


Amazing that not one of them had a multi-tool with a chainbreaker on it.

Cheers
  #18  
Old August 31st 18, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,035
Default Who is a real cyclist ?

sltom992 wrote:

Then don't complain if you need help and
others simply ride by. Four or five bike
riders stopped to help me around the first of
the month when I was stuck but none of them
had a chain breaker with them which would
have allowed me to repair my failure.


I don't know what bicycle culture you have or
what distances thru the wild you cover in your
journeys between outposts of civilization.
Actually, that sounds pretty cool. Seriously,
here there are so many people just commuting
every day to the shop or to work or to do sport
or to visit a friend or to do just about
anything. People don't think of this as cycling
and they don't react if they see someone else
"doing it". Maybe the racer guys do it when
they go between cities, I don't know but it is
possible, of course.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
  #19  
Old August 31st 18, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,865
Default Who is a real cyclist ?

On 8/31/2018 1:22 PM, wrote:
On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 11:19:17 AM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
sltom992 wrote:

I have the same attitude. Anyone riding
a bike is another brother of the wheel.


???

Waive at other riders?

Unknown concept.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Then don't complain if you need help and others simply ride by. Four or five bike riders stopped to help me around the first of the month when I was stuck but none of them had a chain breaker with them which would have allowed me to repair my failure.


Too bad you weren't riding near Cameron Park where your
typical cyclist can whack out a chain rivet using the
salvage nail, anvil and sledge in his panniers.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #20  
Old August 31st 18, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,819
Default Who is a real cyclist ?

On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 4:36:24 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/31/2018 1:22 PM, wrote:
On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 11:19:17 AM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
sltom992 wrote:

I have the same attitude. Anyone riding
a bike is another brother of the wheel.

???

Waive at other riders?

Unknown concept.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Then don't complain if you need help and others simply ride by. Four or five bike riders stopped to help me around the first of the month when I was stuck but none of them had a chain breaker with them which would have allowed me to repair my failure.


Too bad you weren't riding near Cameron Park where your
typical cyclist can whack out a chain rivet using the
salvage nail, anvil and sledge in his panniers.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


They don't use a hammer. Remember? They use a handy rock.

Cheers
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Now I'm a real cyclist! jms UK 0 July 30th 09 03:51 PM
Are you a real cyclist? Tom Crispin UK 34 February 5th 09 02:27 AM
At last I'm a Real Cyclist! Steve C[_2_] UK 33 May 23rd 08 12:47 PM
300 lb. cyclist for real stop_me_NOT Racing 0 December 9th 05 03:17 AM
Fat Cyclist: It's like reality TV, except it's real. And there's no TV. Meg Worley Racing 0 August 21st 05 07:00 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.