Petty Unicycle Company, Arvada Colorado?

Old March 10th 04, 08:45 PM
dforbes

Default Petty Unicycle Company, Arvada Colorado?

Does anyone know anything about the Petty Unicycle Company, in Arvada
Colorado? This would have been in the early 1970's. Here's an ad I
still have from them - you've gotta like the seat ("rubber"!!) and the
price ($37.50 - but you pay railway charges on delivery! What gets
delivered by rail nowadays?!)
I know there was a post from a unicyclist from Arvada just recently -
any connection?

Doug

--
dforbes - Unicycling Newfie
dforbes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4502

Old March 10th 04, 09:38 PM
dforbes

OK, OK....maybe this time I'll manage to attach the image...![image:
http://]

| Attachment filename: petty.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/196416|

Old March 10th 04, 09:46 PM
johnfoss

Never heard of 'em. Can't tell from the pictures if they were doing the
actual manufacturing, assembling from parts, or just reselling a generic
unicycle. It looks like a local job though.

And at that price, you could have paid for it out of your "petty" cash!

--
johnfoss - Home of the Garage Page

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Don't let gravity get you down."

Old March 10th 04, 11:44 PM
XWonka

i can be the most popular one in the neighborhood?
What propaganda!
Anyway, i find it funny that they are called "petty" unicycles, it's
probably an appropriate name.

--
XWonka - oops...

"It's a pity people aren't as lovely as flowers, isn't it?"
XWonka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3957

Old March 11th 04, 12:23 AM
magicollin

crazy, i live in arvada and somehow i havent heard of em...maybe they i
still around, i will look them up in the phone book later...crazy

collin

--
magicollin - Magic Kid
magicollin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5410

Old March 11th 04, 12:34 AM
Robbie

Wow, that seat is... uh... flat!

[Off Topic]

Heh, that looks really cool when XWonka posts underneath johnfoss, just
look at the avatars!

--
Robbie - Spoons Taste Good

'Link-a-Sauros-Rex' (http://www.outwar.com/page.php?x=2049484)
Robbie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5302

Old March 11th 04, 12:57 AM
johnfoss

I think Xwonka is telling me it's time for a new avatar.

Otherwise, it's "sue the pants off you for theft (and abuse) of
intellectual property!!!"

Old March 11th 04, 01:44 AM
hopeful

robbie, don't you know that flat seats are all the rage these days.
That contoured stuff is for amateurs, because the pros all use the *HIP,
NEW, FLAT SEAT!!!*

qoutes from users:

"The *FLAT SEAT* rocks! the whole thing is a handle. seat out
front and seat out back have never been easier!" -Unicyclist from MO

"I previously used a contoured saddle, but now that I've tried the
*NEW FLAT SEAT*, I'm convinced that it's the way to go for all of my
riding- distance, MUni, freestyle, and even on my giraffe! Thanks,
Petty Unicycles" -Unicyclist from CO

"The *FLAT, RUBBER SEAT* makes all of my tricks easier to do,
especially those tricky suicide mounts. I am a believer in *FLAT SEAT
TECHNOLOGY!* It's awesome!" -Unicyclist from NC

To order the *new* flat seat, simply call *1-800-CROTCH-SORES*

actual results may vary. comments are based on user prefrence. company
not responsible for sores, welts, rashes, inability to reproduce, or
irate wives.

this has been satire. you may now return to your reguarly scheduled
programming

--
hopeful - revelling in the glory of 700c

a sawzall...!? why not just use an axe. -- Jagur

Long live the Lotus -- Mojoe
hopeful's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4470

Old January 15th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
petty

Are you still interested in knowing about the Petty Unicycle? My dad
made them back in the 50's when we lived in Wichita. They were the
first commercial unicycle made in the US and he advertised in Boy's
Life. When Schwinn started making them, he couldn't compete. Dad kept
about 5 in the garage at all times for anyone in the neighborhood that
wanted to ride. We moved to Arvada in 1961 and he made them for a few
more years. The seats were made to bounce (so they wouldn''t get
destroyed) and shaped so that they could be ridden both ways (no front
or back). My dad helped my brother build a tall unicycle and rode it
in Grand Junction CO and was in the Guiness Book of Records for a
minute before someone rode a taller one. My brother (pictured on the
flyer) used unicycles for delivering papers and he always had tall ones
to ride around on. Linda

--
petty
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 15th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Interesting bit of trivia.

No offense, but I would have changed the name of the unicycle. Maybee
middle name or initials, if he wanted to keep it as his name.

John, just how long have you had that avatar?

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.
Bob Burnquist on how to improve significantly.

yunisyko wrote:
it's all about balls. i lose them often and then get em back.

http://www.usenet.com

Arvada Colorado magicollin Unicycling 2 March 11th 04 01:13 AM
High School Unicycle Club Memphis Mud Unicycling 11 February 11th 04 03:49 PM
surfing on a unicycle, tips and tricks... paulie pavlic Unicycling 10 November 15th 03 11:38 PM
New Unicycle types! XWonka Unicycling 16 October 15th 03 08:54 PM