Fabien Barel Injured -- Broken Femur

Old June 4th 10, 02:45 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Bill Weir

Default Cyclists injured by handsaw wielding Mike Vandeman

On Jun 3, 3:56*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

You and others are making statements that you think he is guilty of an
assault. You can't go by what is being charged. It is why we have trials by
jury in this country. There is no doubt in my mind that the mountain bikers
are guilty in some measure of bringing about the situation.

The mountain-bikers are enjoying their freedom while Mike sits in a
county jail. All your blathering isn't going to change that.

Old June 4th 10, 02:48 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Bill Weir

On Jun 3, 5:40*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

I suspect it was the mountain bikers that provoked the whole thing. They
should have been charged for being in violation of the rules.

Suspect all you want, the mountain-bikers are not sitting in a county
jail.

Life is good!

Old June 4th 10, 02:51 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Bill Weir

On Jun 3, 7:16*pm, SMS wrote:
On 03/06/10 1:31 PM, SMS wrote:

snip

But that may not even be possible if it goes to trial and he's convicted
since judges have very limited leeway in sentencing for violent
felonies. If it's a plea bargain rather than a trial then he could get
off without real prison time. Regardless of the outcome of the criminal
case there's also a high probability of civil suits, so hopefully he's
got insurance, including an umbrella policy, to settle those suits.

I just read that he was only charged with two misdemeanors, vandalism
and assault. So the chance of prison time is nil. Probably just
probation since it's the first time he's been arrested, plus UC will
likely ban him from their land.

He's also a suspect in similar attacks so this incident may just be
the beginning.
Old June 4th 10, 05:16 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
SMS

On 03/06/10 11:22 PM, Karamba wrote:
The above statement is absurd. Mr. Vandeman would not hurt a fly.

He is in Santa Rita jail on $100000 bail for felony assault.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8868/86952637.jpg

The inmate locator shows that a hearing took place at 9:00 a.m. this
morning.

Apparently there were/are three charges, two misdemeanors and one
felony. I expect that the lawyer is trying to find a way to get the
felony charge dropped to avoid prison time, perhaps with a plea bargain
to the other two charges, but that's just speculation. The news report I
read did not even mention the felony charge.
Old June 4th 10, 06:04 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Puppet_Sock

On Jun 4, 9:45*am, Bill Weir wrote:
On Jun 3, 3:56*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

You and others are making statements that you think he is guilty of an
assault. You can't go by what is being charged. It is why we have trials by
jury in this country. There is no doubt in my mind that the mountain bikers
are guilty in some measure of bringing about the situation.

The mountain-bikers are enjoying their freedom while Mike sits in a
county jail. All your blathering isn't going to change that.

It might, actually. It might get Mikey *more* time. Since Mikey
would seem to not be acting alone, there are things like inciting,
conspiracy, example to others, etc. Mikey has been a nutter
for many years. The blather could highlight this for a jduge.
Socks
Old June 4th 10, 06:10 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Karamba

On Jun 4, 9:16*am, SMS wrote:
On 03/06/10 11:22 PM, Karamba wrote:

He is in Santa Rita jail on $100000 bail for felony assault.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8868/86952637.jpg

The inmate locator shows that a hearing took place at 9:00 a.m. this
morning.

It was after that hearing that bail was increased from 12K to 100K and
he was transferred to county jail.

Apparently there were/are three charges, two misdemeanors and one
felony. I expect that the lawyer is trying to find a way to get the
felony charge dropped to avoid prison time, perhaps with a plea bargain
to the other two charges, but that's just speculation. The news report I
read did not even mention the felony charge.

The "GBI" on that charge stand for Great Bodily Injury. With this
enhancement, Assault with a Deadly Weapon should be a felony.

The news reports did not do their homework.

Old June 4th 10, 08:18 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Bruce Jensen

Holy **** - I knew he was cracked, but not that cracked!
Old June 4th 10, 08:46 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Edward Dolan

"Bill Weir" wrote in message
On Jun 3, 3:56 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

You and others are making statements that you think he is guilty of an
assault. You can't go by what is being charged. It is why we have trials
by
jury in this country. There is no doubt in my mind that the mountain
bikers
are guilty in some measure of bringing about the situation.

The mountain-bikers are enjoying their freedom while Mike sits in a

county jail. All your blathering isn't going to change that.

Nothing is ever over until the fat lady sings.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old June 4th 10, 08:49 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Edward Dolan

"Puppet_Sock" wrote in message
On Jun 4, 9:45 am, Bill Weir wrote:
On Jun 3, 3:56 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

You and others are making statements that you think he is guilty of an
assault. You can't go by what is being charged. It is why we have trials
by
jury in this country. There is no doubt in my mind that the mountain
bikers
are guilty in some measure of bringing about the situation.

The mountain-bikers are enjoying their freedom while Mike sits in a
county jail. All your blathering isn't going to change that.

It might, actually. It might get Mikey *more* time. Since Mikey

would seem to not be acting alone, there are things like inciting,
conspiracy, example to others, etc. Mikey has been a nutter
for many years. The blather could highlight this for a jduge.
Socks

A judge would only be influenced by the blather on these newsgroups if he
was as stupid as you are.

Old June 4th 10, 08:55 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment
Edward Dolan

"Bill Weir" wrote in message
On Jun 3, 7:16 pm, SMS wrote:
On 03/06/10 1:31 PM, SMS wrote:

snip

But that may not even be possible if it goes to trial and he's convicted
since judges have very limited leeway in sentencing for violent
felonies. If it's a plea bargain rather than a trial then he could get
off without real prison time. Regardless of the outcome of the criminal
case there's also a high probability of civil suits, so hopefully he's
got insurance, including an umbrella policy, to settle those suits.

I just read that he was only charged with two misdemeanors, vandalism
and assault. So the chance of prison time is nil. Probably just
probation since it's the first time he's been arrested, plus UC will
likely ban him from their land.

He's also a suspect in similar attacks so this incident may just be

the beginning.

It is the mountain bikers who ought to be sitting in jail since they are
guilty of riding their bikes on a trail where such was prohibited. All Mr.
Vandeman was doing was defending nature against criminal mountain bikers.

Injured danger_uni Unicycling 89 September 11th 07 08:27 PM
Injured gagtape Unicycling 51 August 3rd 07 03:09 PM
injured in war [email protected] General 24 December 12th 06 08:37 PM
BOKEN FEMUR... SOME POSTSURGRY questions ;) PoopInTheButt Racing 3 April 5th 05 06:21 AM
Injured: sympathy, please Ken Cline Unicycling 12 December 9th 04 09:27 PM