Power Meters

Old June 14th 21, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Default Power Meters

Op maandag 14 juni 2021 om 20:59:42 UTC+2 schreef :
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 9:30:34 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/14/2021 11:47 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 7:27:35 AM UTC-7, James Carrington wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 6:08:25 AM UTC-4, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 13.06.2021 um 21:35 schrieb Tom Kunich:

While there are still those who might think it useful I would like to
know why you think it would be useful and what sort of knowledge do
you think that it would impart that you could not detect simply
through your legs without the extra weight of $500 in your wallet?
I'd take a power meter for $100 or so, in the hope that I can see more
easily whether I'm slower than usual

a) due to a bad night's sleep (power low)
b) due to external factors (power normal)

As of today, I can tell easily whether I'm slow due to the wind (speed
difference after the 90 degree bends) but issues like "far too low tire
pressure" and "chain is in desparate need of oil" I only notice
indirectly (Monday after servicing the bike I'm significantly faster
than Friday before servicing the bike).

If the power meter is sufficiently exact, I'd use it to still my
scientific curiosity comparing the wind resistence with various setups
(on the drops vs on the hoods vs recumbent bike, one very full pannier
vs two half-filled panniers etc).

Similary, once in my life I bought a heart rate monitor for cycling
which confirmed that my "feeling good" was a close enough measurement,
and after a few years of bike computers with cadence sensor I'm now
happy with mobile phone GPS without cadence sensor.

Rolf
Power meters are incredibly useful as a metric for fitness and for targeted training. However, if you aren't a competitive cyclist it isn't of much more use than any other electronic gizmo. Since I am a competitive cyclist, I rely on one rather heavily for training. That said, my use of a power meter is exclusively indoor, since external variables like weather, terrain, and traffic often conspire to thwart outdoor efforts. Being in the sport competitively for over 30 years, I have a reasonably good sense of RPE. Besides that, while racing your power numbers are largely irrelevant. If you can go with an attack, you go. Watching a power number is no more than a distraction at that point. It's not uncommon to see riders both pro and amateur put a piece of electrical tape over a power display when racing. Sure, you can analyze the data after and figure out 'gee, no wonder I got dropped', or 'I really shouldn't have been dropped'. As Rolf points out, the data can tell you a lot about your level of fitness, either generally or if you're over-trained. As far as I can tell, there is no one in this forum (aside from me) who would use a power meter for its designed purpose.

I'm surprised you only use yours for indoor efforts. Even with weather, terrain, etc., measuring power allows you to maintain consistent effort, particularly climbing and in headwinds. And can't pros and amateurs set their screens to not display power? That would seem like a better option than using electrical tape. Personally, I just wouldn't look -- but then again, I don't have a power meter.

IME, people purchased power meters for all sorts of reasons -- from just wanting a gizmo, to serious training to cardiac rehab (or other rehab like leg imbalance). It's just a measuring device, and one can use measurements for lots of reasons. I think its a bad value proposition as a gizmo, but that's just me.

Not surprisingly, I agree. At my age, measuring power would be silly and
depressing. But through most of my cycling life it would have been
redundant. I never had time to "train" in any disciplined way. My
"training" was to ride home from work as fast as possible, at least on
days I caught the first few traffic lights green.

But ISTM one type of racer could make good use of a power meter: A time
trialist. The time trials our club used to put on were on rolling
terrain. I was always concerned about how fast to go out, to make sure I
wouldn't blow up on the final climb. Some trial and error with a power
meter would have been useful for gauging effort.

--

Anecdote: The only time I recall getting a power measurement was when
the university's Exercise Science department offered a bunch of free

I was pretty astonished, but didn't know how to interpret that number.
Since then, after learning a lot more about human power, I realized that
had to be metabolic power consumed, not output. I think I need to
multiply by my metabolic efficiency. But if (back in that day) it was
25% or so, it still gives a respectable number.

But then, the older I get, the faster I was.

Most Cat 1's and 2's can sprint at 1800 watts or so, so those number probably were fairly accurate.

Frank, 2000W? No way, even in a short sprint.

Lou
Old June 14th 21, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 12:09:44 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Remember that this was a University engineering department so you could expect a 25% error.
Old June 14th 21, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I’ve temporarily (very temporarily) gone over 746 W on a WattBike that was
set up at the Couer d’Alene Ironman a number of years ago, but my
sustainable power is nowhere near that. A rough “lumber crayon on the back
of an envelope” estimation of peak power in Watts is crank length in mm x
max cadence while standing on the pedals x rider weight in pounds, all
divided by 3370.

Old June 14th 21, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 12:36:37 PM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Cat 1's and 2's often pull 1600-1800 watts out of the turns in crits. But you can watch those number drop ever lap until 800 watts in a sprint at the end of the race is good. I can only imagine what Pro's are doing. I have to ride 4 days a week of my power in the climbs suffers. and that is probably only 200 watts.
Old June 14th 21, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Mmmm. No. Not unless its a bunch of super-strong Clydesdale CAT 1/2s. Sagan is doing 1200-1500 watts in a flat sprint.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 14th 21, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand[_3_]

Cat 1's and 2's often pull 1600-1800 watts out of the turns in crits. But you can watch those number drop ever lap until 800 watts in a sprint at the end of the race is good. I can only imagine what Pro's are doing. I have to ride 4 days a week of my power in the climbs suffers. and that is probably only 200 watts.

Mmmm. No. Not unless its a bunch of super-strong Clydesdale CAT 1/2s. Sagan is doing 1200-1500 watts in a flat sprint.

Here's an analysis of power data from Mathieu van der Poel at Strade Bianche:

https://www.velonews.com/training/po...trade-bianche/

In his winning attack to drop Alaphilippe with about 500 m to go, van der Poel
hit a peak of 1362 W, and held 1146 W for 15 seconds.
Old June 14th 21, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 11:03:00 PM UTC+2, Bertrand wrote:
Cat 1's and 2's often pull 1600-1800 watts out of the turns in crits. But you can watch those number drop ever lap until 800 watts in a sprint at the end of the race is good. I can only imagine what Pro's are doing. I have to ride 4 days a week of my power in the climbs suffers. and that is probably only 200 watts.

Mmmm. No. Not unless its a bunch of super-strong Clydesdale CAT 1/2s. Sagan is doing 1200-1500 watts in a flat sprint.

Here's an analysis of power data from Mathieu van der Poel at Strade Bianche:

https://www.velonews.com/training/po...trade-bianche/

In his winning attack to drop Alaphilippe with about 500 m to go, van der Poel
hit a peak of 1362 W, and held 1146 W for 15 seconds.

Those are incredible values at the end of such a hard race. I looked at my values of last Fridays ride in which I sprinted up an overpass close to home at the end of a 85 km ride. I measured a pathetic peak value of 735 W.

Lou
Old June 15th 21, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 2:03:00 PM UTC-7, Bertrand wrote:
Cat 1's and 2's often pull 1600-1800 watts out of the turns in crits. But you can watch those number drop ever lap until 800 watts in a sprint at the end of the race is good. I can only imagine what Pro's are doing. I have to ride 4 days a week of my power in the climbs suffers. and that is probably only 200 watts.

Mmmm. No. Not unless its a bunch of super-strong Clydesdale CAT 1/2s. Sagan is doing 1200-1500 watts in a flat sprint.

Here's an analysis of power data from Mathieu van der Poel at Strade Bianche:

https://www.velonews.com/training/po...trade-bianche/

In his winning attack to drop Alaphilippe with about 500 m to go, van der Poel
hit a peak of 1362 W, and held 1146 W for 15 seconds.

Inform us all how you know what Sagan is generating? Imagination? They have a video somewhere of a crit with a power meter overlay that shows a Cat 1 early in the race coming out of corners and generating 1800 watts and as the race goes on that drops down until the final sprint he can hold only 1,300 watts. But you are palsy-walsy with Peter Sagan and know everything about him. Even when he went into breakaways and was climbing with real climbers..
Old June 15th 21, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 7:46:52 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Sagan's power numbers are all over the internet. You do the search. And if you have video of Cat 1/2s are producing 1800 watts, please provide us with a link. That number may be attainable by a strong road Cat 1/2, but for maybe a second -- and probably not coming out of a corner. 1300 watts for a 5-10 second road sprint, assuming the usual death-camp survivor body type, is huge. Those are not amateur numbers -- on the road. Some good Cat 1 track sprinters can probably do 1800 watts for more than a second or two.

BTW, I do know some guys who rode with Peter. He has a place in Park City, and some of my son's friends ran into him on a MTB ride, and he went along with them. He's really friendly guy, or so I'm told.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old June 15th 21, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 8:37:27 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I've been trying to find that video and I can't find any of these crits anything like the one I was talking about. The highest power readings I saw was only (only!) 1200 watts. Also these crits were almost all on fairgrounds or something that had mostly one direction turns. The one that I saw before with the high power readings was a complicated course with a lot of lefts and rights. This makes me wonder if it was a Belgium crit that I saw. But the little narration there was was in English.

Power Meters? Mark cleary Techniques 151 May 11th 21 05:03 PM
How accurate are power meters? James[_8_] Techniques 64 January 1st 14 12:39 AM
Power meters jump the shark [email protected] Racing 15 December 19th 07 08:55 PM
Fork rake and power meters [email protected] Techniques 1 February 5th 05 06:37 AM
Western Power Power House Rd who is a Janitor at the Muja Power Station in Australia. why is Marty Wallace m...@geo.net.au calling people and posting at 3:05am Marty Wallace Jan 29, 3:05 am because he can't do it with the hooker that you hear in [email protected] Racing 1 January 30th 05 09:30 PM