bigger lawyer lips on the way?

Old November 4th 05, 01:27 PM
Paul Cassel

Default bigger lawyer lips on the way?

Hank Wirtz wrote:

Which, when you look at it in any depth, was an entirely valid lawsuit.

http://caoc.com/CA/index.cfm?event=showPage&pg=facts

But yeah, Wal-Mart has no business selling bikes with QR wheels.

No it wasn't valid in any sense aside from some plaintiff bar attorneys
wanting to defend what isn't defensible.

Just because a bunch of parasitic lawyers say something is justified
doesn't make it so.
Old November 4th 05, 01:30 PM
Jasper Janssen

On 3 Nov 2005 15:48:49 -0800, "Fritz M" wrote:

A mom in West Virginia is suing Wal-Mart for selling defective bikes.
The defect? Quick release front wheels. More info at
http://www.shokbikes.org/

Sue Wal-Mart for improper assembly or lack of instruction, but to sue
them for providing a useful feature is a bad move, IMO.

These appear to *all* involve a particular brand (NEXT) and type of bike,
which has been *recalled* because of defective quick releases. That has
nothing to do with QRs in general, it's just these ones that suck.

Jasper
Old November 4th 05, 01:44 PM
Hank Wirtz

Paul Cassel wrote in news:s7ydnd7aUMw2_PbeRVn-
:

Hank Wirtz wrote:

Which, when you look at it in any depth, was an entirely valid lawsuit.

http://caoc.com/CA/index.cfm?event=showPage&pg=facts

But yeah, Wal-Mart has no business selling bikes with QR wheels.

No it wasn't valid in any sense aside from some plaintiff bar attorneys
wanting to defend what isn't defensible.

Just because a bunch of parasitic lawyers say something is justified
doesn't make it so.

Huh? Serving something that can cause THIRD degree burns from a drive-
through window isn't reckless? Continuing to do so after HUNDREDS of out-
of-court settlements for other people with second and third degree burns
borders on criminal negligence.

And, yeah, Wal-Mart shouldn't sell QR wheels.
Old November 4th 05, 03:19 PM

Hank Wirtz wrote:

Huh? Serving something that can cause THIRD degree burns from a drive-
through window isn't reckless?

Heh. I'm going to really frighten you, Hank. Pay attention:

I drink _tea_.

Yes! That horribly risky beverage that says, on the teabag wrapper, to
pour BOILING water into the cup! A full, rolling boil! And yes, I've
gotten tea at fast food joints!

Now, I'll admit I generally make and drink only one cup at a time, so
my riskiness has its limits. But I've heard of little old ladies and
little girls having entire _parties_ where they make POTS of the stuff!
What's worse, they actually pre-heat the pots with boiling water
(True! Look it up!) before they add fresh boiling water to make the
tea.

Why, each teapot is a veritable hot-water bomb! And these risk-takers
don't even have heat-proof frilly white dresses! The large, floppy
hats they wear provide almost no protection either.

Now, for me, there are limits. I'm not into the parties. I'm
definitely not going to wear the risky, frilly white dresses they use.
;-) And a full _pot_ of boiling, bubbling water is a little scary even
for me! But I stand up for their right to risk their own... um, laps.

Admittedly, I'm a little worried about calling attention to the thrills
of reckless tea drinking. There's bound to be some safety organization
that'll want to outlaw it. Or at least mandate asbestos aprons. But
meanwhile, we tea drinkers _revel_ in the risk. "Too hot for human
consumption?" HAH! If it's too hot, you're too old!

In fact, I think I'll go have a cup now!

- Frank Krygowski

Old November 4th 05, 03:22 PM
mark

"Llatikcuf" wrote
I don't know, I've seen people tighten down quick-releases by using the
lever as leverage to screw it down -- like a wrench handle, they had no
idea you had to close it to tighten it down! And these were adults!!

-Nate

I remember my father (college educated, reasonably high paying government
job) trying to do that to my Peugeot PX-10. I've also seen bikes sold by
stores other than LBSs with the quick-release tightened down that way. A
quick release isn't completely self-explanatory, especially now that the
lawyer lips force you to loosen the adjusting barrel to get it out of the
front dropouts.
--
mark

Old November 4th 05, 03:29 PM
mark

"Fritz M" wrote ...
A mom in West Virginia is suing Wal-Mart for selling defective bikes.
The defect? Quick release front wheels. More info at
http://www.shokbikes.org/

Sue Wal-Mart for improper assembly or lack of instruction, but to sue
them for providing a useful feature is a bad move, IMO.

RFM

As long as Wal-Mart pays its drones piece rate to assemble its crappy
bicycles, the bikes are going to be badly assembled and unsafe to ride.
--
mark

Old November 4th 05, 04:59 PM
D'ohBoy

bcrow opined:

Obviously, the quick release is a Darwinian evolutionary mechanism.

Hah! Intelligent design is the obvious origin as Tullio Campagnolo
originated the QR.

D'ohBoy

"It isn't global warming - it's intelligent defrosting!"

Old November 4th 05, 06:46 PM
(PeteCresswell)

Per Hank Wirtz:
Huh? Serving something that can cause THIRD degree burns from a drive-
through window isn't reckless? Continuing to do so after HUNDREDS of out-
of-court settlements for other people with second and third degree burns
borders on criminal negligence.

But don't I have to weigh that up against getting lukewarm coffee for the rest
of my life?
--
PeteCresswell