bigger lawyer lips on the way?

Old November 8th 05, 11:31 PM
Jasper Janssen

Default bigger lawyer lips on the way?

On 8 Nov 2005 13:57:14 -0800, "Vee" wrote:

Imagine placing this burden on a $6/hr clerk at Walmart.

So they have to hire someone with actual brains for a change. How is this
bad?

Jasper
Old November 9th 05, 01:20 AM
Vee

Jasper Janssen wrote:
On 8 Nov 2005 13:57:14 -0800, "Vee" wrote:

Imagine placing this burden on a $6/hr clerk at Walmart.

So they have to hire someone with actual brains for a change. How is this
bad?

To hire people with actual brains, they would have to offer actual pay
and actual benefits. Next thing you know, these braniac employees
would form a union and destroy poor, defenseless Walmart from within.
You must hate America to even suggest such a thing.

The more realistic solution is to stop selling bikes with QR's, as
someone else suggested.

-Vee

Old November 9th 05, 09:27 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Vee wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:
On 8 Nov 2005 13:57:14 -0800, "Vee" wrote:

Imagine placing this burden on a $6/hr clerk at Walmart.

So they have to hire someone with actual brains for a change. How is
this bad?

To hire people with actual brains, they would have to offer actual pay
and actual benefits. Next thing you know, these braniac employees
would form a union and destroy poor, defenseless Walmart from within.
You must hate America to even suggest such a thing.

The more realistic solution is to stop selling bikes with QR's, as
someone else suggested.

Thank goodness the disc-brakes on bikes that Walmart sells don't work.
Imagine the lawsuits from wheel ejection then!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old November 10th 05, 01:51 PM
SriBikeJi

I don't know, I've seen people tighten down quick-releases by using the
lever as leverage to screw it down -- like a wrench handle, they had no
idea you had to close it to tighten it down! And these were adults!!

Me too. I was even on a mountain bike ride once where a bike near me
was making noises - turned out the wheel wasn't even tightened. The
fellow was counting on the lips to hold it on. Another reason to file
them off.
Old November 10th 05, 02:00 PM
SriBikeJi

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per Bruce Gilbert:

One of my riding buddies (about 50 years of racing) had a crack up one
morning. He failed to adequately tighten the QR on his rear wheel....

My point here is that these sort of accidents can and do happen.

I've never had an accident. I'm still trying to train myself to check QR
tension before getting on the bike. I do it sometimes and when I remember that
I forgot, I stop and do it right then and there.

Having said that, one day I pulled the bike off the carrier on the back of my
car, got on it, and rode off: no check. First time I applied the front brake
it felt funny. Turned out front skewer was *really* loose - i.e. just a little
more and the wheel would have come out. As it was, the lawyer lips probably
saved me.

[snip]

Or maybe the "lips" contributed to the accident. I have noticed that
the lips keep the wheel on even when they aren't adequately tightened.
That's the point of them. I don't think that's a good thing.

I think you would have noticed a problem if the "lips" had been filed
off. You would have arrived at your destination without your front
wheel. Or more likely, you would have noticed the problem when the
wheel feel off while you were loading the bike.

Old November 10th 05, 05:29 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:00:36 GMT, SriBikeJi wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Having said that, one day I pulled the bike off the carrier on the back of my
car, got on it, and rode off: no check. First time I applied the front brake
it felt funny. Turned out front skewer was *really* loose - i.e. just a little
more and the wheel would have come out. As it was, the lawyer lips probably
saved me.

[snip]

Or maybe the "lips" contributed to the accident. I have noticed that
the lips keep the wheel on even when they aren't adequately tightened.
That's the point of them. I don't think that's a good thing.

I think you would have noticed a problem if the "lips" had been filed
off. You would have arrived at your destination without your front
wheel. Or more likely, you would have noticed the problem when the
wheel feel off while you were loading the bike.

You're making unwarranted assumptions, to wit: that the QR was loose when
the bike was loaded, and it didn't happen from vibration from the road;
that the QR was fully undone while unloading, when it could have been just
partially undone and gone the rest of the way while riding; that thus the
wheel would in fact have fallen off without lawyer lips before he got on
the bike.

Jasper