Mountain biker on Guisborough Woods crash

Old May 24th 11, 03:20 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Mountain biker on Guisborough Woods crash

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/te...4229-28745302/

Mountain biker on Guisborough Woods crash

by Mike Morgan, Evening Gazette
May 23 2011
A MOUNTAIN biker has today told how his helmet saved his life after he
hit a tree at speed in a horrific crash.

Mark Preston, 41, of Coronation Street, Carlin How, is recovering at
home after his serious crash at Guisborough Woods, above Hutton
Village.

He sustained a suspected badly broken nose, severe swelling and cuts
to his face and whiplash to his neck.

The crash happened at about 8pm on Tuesday when Mark was plummeting
down a fast, downhill section with fellow members of Guisborough
Mountain Bike Club.

He said: “Fortunately, the helmet took a lot of the force of the crash
and split in two at the front.

“It probably saved my life, or saved me from more serious injury. I
would like to stress the importance of always wearing a helmet which
some young riders don’t always do.”

He praised members of Cleveland Search and Rescue Team, who used a 4x4
vehicle to get him out of the woods to a waiting ambulance.

He also thanked paramedics and staff at Middlesbrough’s James Cook
University Hospital, who treated him.

Single man Mark, a Tesco warehouseman at Teesport, said: “I’m a keen
mountain biker and have been going to Hutton Woods for 25 years, with
no bother at all – just a few little scrapes.

“I always wear a helmet. We go out in a group on Tuesday and Thursday
evenings at Hutton village.

“We all wear helmets and some wear knee and elbow pads too.

“I was in the middle of the pack and going down a fast trail when I
think my handlebar caught a tree near the bottom.

“I came off and knocked myself out. Everybody stopped and gathered
round me and there was blood all over the place. It took me a few
minutes to come round.

“The next thing I remember I was sitting up, but everyone was very
concerned. The paramedics later checked my legs, which were covered in
blood, but they were OK.

“I’m off work for a few days while I recover. But it won’t put me off
mountain biking. It’s just one of those things and the nature of the
sport.

“The CSR team and all the emergency services were very prompt and I’m
also very grateful for the kindness of the hospital staff.”

Mark’s bike came off better than he did. “It’s damaged with the brake
levers bent, but it’s not too bad,” he said.

“Now I’ll get a new helmet and when I’m better carry on, wearing
that!”

A total of 23 members of Cleveland Search and Rescue Team attended the
call and the casualty was on his way to accident and emergency at
James Cook just over an hour after the team was called.

Barry Warrington, spokesman for the team, said: “This was a serious
incident and the man was in considerable pain.

“Fortunately, he was wearing a helmet which, although it was damaged
in the accident, could have been much worse if he had not been wearing
one.”
Old May 25th 11, 02:57 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Kayak 44

Default Michael J. Vandeman, Criminal

On May 24, 10:20*am, Mike Vandeman wrote:

Lest anyone forget...

http://reviews.mtbr.com/anti-mountai...nst-two-bikers

Berkeley – CA 6/2/10

Michael Joseph Vandeman was arraigned in court today. He is scheduled
to re-appear in court Thursday with his legal counsel.

Vandeman was arrested by UC Berkeley police last Friday May 28th for
assault with a deadly weapon. The full police report is he
http://police.berkeley.edu/crimealer...52810-37NC.htm He was
reported and arrested for carrying a handsaw and cutting one of the
two bikers across the chest. This is not the first time such an
incidence has been reported.

Local news station KPIX Channel 5 covered the story and it ran in the
local nightly news. Video is available he http://cbs5.com/video/?id=65884

The arraignment was at 2pm Wednesday and bail was reduced from $30,000
to $12,500. It is unknown at this time if bail has been posted.
Pending contact with his lawyer, Vandeman is scheduled to reappear in
court Thursday to enter his plea.

Vandeman is a long time anti-mountain biking zealot who has been
infamous in the SF-SJ Bay Area for decades. His campaign against
mountain bikers dates back to the heyday of local cycling internet
newsgroups.

UC Berkeley police urge cyclists to come forward with any information
on similar assaults. University of California Police Department
Criminal Investigation Bureau: (510) 642-0472 from 8AM-5PM, or (510)
642-6760 all other times.

Old May 25th 11, 03:58 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

http://reviews.mtbr.com/anti-mountai...ke-vandeman-ar...

assault with a deadly weapon. The full police report is hehttp://police.berkeley.edu/crimealer...810-37NC.htmHe was
[...]

Charge was dismissed, of course, because the mountain bikers LIED
(what else is new?).
Old May 25th 11, 09:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

Default ALL mountain bikers are LIARS!

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
[...]

Charge was dismissed, of course, because the mountain bikers LIED

(what else is new?).

Hey Mike, Tom Sherman and I have established a new tradition here on these
newsgroups since you have been away. We change subject headings at will so
as to increase the insult value.

Always check the subject headings from now on and change them to suit
yourself since they no longer have anything to do with the original post.
They now have to do strictly with the message.

Best Regards,

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old May 26th 11, 01:54 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Kayak 44

assault with a deadly weapon. The full police report is hehttp://police.berkeley.edu/crimealer...-37NC.htmHewas

Criminal Investigation Bureau510) 642-0472begin_of_the_skype_highlighting************(51 0) 642-0472******end_of_the_skype_highlightingfrom 8AM-5PM, or (510)
642-6760 all other times.

Charge was dismissed, of course, because the mountain bikers LIED
(what else is new?).- Hide quoted text -

Found guilty on three of six charges.

Sentenced to 30 days on the Sherriff’s Work Alternative Program
(S.W.A.P.) minus 8 days served in JAIL.

On probation for three years, which includes a “Stay Away” order for
trails in the Claremont Canyon Reserve and the UC Berkeley hiking
trails.

If you see him on the trail, it will be in violation of his parole.
Report him.

Old June 17th 11, 02:08 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Brad Anders

On May 25, 5:54*pm, Kayak 44 wrote:
[...]

I'm just checking back in (after months), hadn't heard the outcome,
thanks. Sentence sounds appropriate to me, obvious from the postings
here that it had no effect on MV (not surprising). Still, it's best
that a deranged old man like MV wasn't subjected to any more prison
time than he'd served for his illegal actions.

BTW, not sure if anyone saw this, but on p.118 of the July 2011 issue
of "Outside" is an article that states that there has been a 56
percent drop in MTB injuries in the US that required emergency room
treatment from 1995 to 2007 (23,177 vs. 10,267), the lowest on record.
This decrease comes in spite of the fact that some 50 million people
participate in MTB riding each year. The decrease is attributed to
better equipment (e.g. disk brakes and dual suspension) permitting
better control. Didn't see any influence of MV reported as a
contributing factor :-). BTW, the 2007 figure reflects an accident
rate requiring emergency room care of 0.02% per participant per year.

Frankly, I'm shocked, yes, shocked, that MV wasn't on the forefront of
reporting this great news. Perhaps he did see this item, but for some
strange reason, decided not to share it with the group. Since MV has
stated that he's morally and ethically superior to any MTB rider,
you'd think that he would be bound to report on all data on MTB
injuries (since he does this almost constantly), regardless of if it
was positive or negative. Hmm. Food for thought.
Old June 17th 11, 08:07 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Jun 17, 6:08*am, Brad Anders wrote:
[...]

What "illegal actions"? ALL of the mountain bikers lied under oath,
except for admitting that they deliberately ride illegally and will
continue riding illegally. You obviously know NOTHING.

BTW, not sure if anyone saw this, but on p.118 of the July 2011 issue
of "Outside" is an article that states that there has been a 56
percent drop in MTB injuries in the US that required emergency room
treatment from 1995 to 2007 (23,177 vs. 10,267), the lowest on record.
This decrease comes in spite of the fact that some 50 million people
participate in MTB riding each year.

That is physically impossible. There aren't enough trails to hold 50
million mountain bikers. You are probably including all the idiots who
are too stupid to buy a ROAD bike to ride on the road. DUH!

The decrease is attributed to
better equipment (e.g. disk brakes and dual suspension) permitting
better control. Didn't see any influence of MV reported as a
contributing factor :-). BTW, the 2007 figure reflects an accident
rate requiring emergency room care of 0.02% per participant per year.

Frankly, I'm shocked, yes, shocked, that MV wasn't on the forefront of
reporting this great news. Perhaps he did see this item, but for some
strange reason, decided not to share it with the group. Since MV has
stated that he's morally and ethically superior to any MTB rider,
you'd think that he would be bound to report on all data on MTB
injuries (since he does this almost constantly), regardless of if it
was positive or negative. Hmm. Food for thought.- Hide quoted text -

That won't help all the people getting killed or maimed almost weekly.
You are responsible for that, due to spreading misinformation. As far
as I can tell, I'm the ONLY one telling the truth about mountain
biking. Mountain bikers HATE anyone telling the truth about their
selfish, destructive, disgusting sport.
Old June 18th 11, 02:55 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Brad Anders

One thing that I have little doubt about - this won't be MV's last
time in court, up on charges for attacking MTB riders. Look at how
this expensive, degrading, and humiliating experience had ZERO effect
on him. He'll return to his ways as soon as possible, with inevitable
results.

BTW, it's no wonder MV can't accept the 50 million MTB participants
figure I quoted from the Outside article. It's a complete repudiation
of his attempts to limit the expansion of MTB riding in the US. Why
has he failed? Because MTB riding is a mainstream activity, the same
as hiking, equestrian, and other trail use activities. Real trail
users work together cooperatively so that all can enjoy the outdoors
responsibly, with minimal impact to the environment on a day-to-day
basis. That's a "truth" that MV will never accept - his loss, not
ours.

Adios until the next jury trial.

Old June 18th 11, 03:18 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

Default Brad Anders - Asshole Imbecile!

"Brad Anders" wrote in message

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS NOR DOES HE EVEN INCLUDE ANY OF THE MESSAGE TO
WHICH HE IS RESPONDING. WHAT AN IDIOT!

One thing that I have little doubt about - this won't be MV's last
time in court, up on charges for attacking MTB riders. Look at how
this expensive, degrading, and humiliating experience had ZERO effect
on him. He'll return to his ways as soon as possible, with inevitable
results.

All we have learned is that all mountain bikers are liars and scoundrels,
rogues and blackguards, assholes and ****heads. But Hells Bells, those of us
with Kulture already knew that.

BTW, it's no wonder MV can't accept the 50 million MTB participants
figure I quoted from the Outside article. It's a complete repudiation
of his attempts to limit the expansion of MTB riding in the US.

Outside Magazine is pure trash journalism. Only an idiot like Brad Anders
would read it or give it any credence. They couldn't get a figure right if
their life depended upon it. 50 million indeed!

Why
has he failed? Because MTB riding is a mainstream activity, the same
as hiking, equestrian, and other trail use activities. Real trail
users work together cooperatively so that all can enjoy the outdoors
responsibly, with minimal impact to the environment on a day-to-day
basis. That's a "truth" that MV will never accept - his loss, not
ours.

Mountain biking is for ****heads and assholes and will never be mainstream.
It is on the decline everywhere. Mr. Vandeman performs a real service to
call our attention to all the injuries and deaths caused by one of the
stupidest pastimes ever invented.

Adios until the next jury trial.

**** you too ... Asshole Imbecile!

Old June 18th 11, 03:46 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Tºm Shermªn °_°

On 6/17/2011 2:07 PM, Convicted Criminal Mike "Handsaw" Vandeman wrote:
On Jun 17, 6:08�am, Brad wrote:
On May 25, 5:54�pm, Kayak wrote:

On May 25, 10:58�am, Mike wrote:

On May 24, 6:57�pm, Kayak wrote:

On May 24, 10:20�am, Mike wrote:

[...]

sarcasm

Sure Mikey, it was all a set-up by evil mountain bikers. I suppose the
police, prosecutor, judge, and all jury members were evil mountain bikers?

/sarcasm

Too bad for you the jury thought otherwise.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.